Special Teams, personnel questions

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me the Special Teams have be less than special the last few seasons. They have cost the team at least 4or 5 regular season and playoff Ws. there is a kicker upgrade thread already which I don't plan on trying to upstage, the team need to significantly upgrade the PK position this offseason. I have checked in in terms of my thoughts on that thread.

In terms of personnel on ST P/K- Janikowski is a UFA and LS- Tyler Ott is an ERFA. Ott will be be kept and the team controls his destiny. P- Michael Dickson is a phenom the team needs to learn to use better with their coverage units. He deserved his Pro Bowl selection. So the only player personnel question is at PK.

At PK, I seriously doubt the team is likely to go with Sam Ficken. I suspect there will be several candidates brought in to compete for the spot, either late in the draft, in FA or with the crop of UDFAs. I think the thread on upgrading the kicker is worth reading.

I genuinely believe that Pete needs to reassess the ST coaching as there have been steady issues with coverage on returns and less than spectacular results with the return units. Perhaps it is time for a fresh new approach.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2upvy62m said:
To me the Special Teams have be less than special the last few seasons. They have cost the team at least 4or 5 regular season and playoff Ws. there is a kicker upgrade thread already which I don't plan on trying to upstage, the team need to significantly upgrade the PK position this offseason. I have checked in in terms of my thoughts on that thread.

In terms of personnel on ST P/K- Janikowski is a UFA and LS- Tyler Ott is an ERFA. Ott will be be kept and the team controls his destiny. P- Michael Dickson is a phenom the team needs to learn to use better with their coverage units. He deserved his Pro Bowl selection. So the only player personnel question is at PK.

At PK, I seriously doubt the team is likely to go with Sam Ficken. I suspect there will be several candidates brought in to compete for the spot, either late in the draft, in FA or with the crop of UDFAs. I think the thread on upgrading the kicker is worth reading.

I genuinely believe that Pete needs to reassess the ST coaching as there have been steady issues with coverage on returns and less than spectacular results with the return units. Perhaps it is time for a fresh new approach.

Not sure it's coaching but injuries once again, Thorpe was a big contributor and a couple linebackers we had, we are also down on players that are starters that are also Special teams players.

We do need to adapt to Dickson however if we are going to try and get some unique plays going. That means practicing what he does and how to cover it consistently.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This is a spot where having so few draft picks is going to be a problem. Not just the actual kicking, but the coverage and blocking teams need more good bodies. Every draft needs a LB and a DB just to keep young depth competing on ST.