Super Bowl XL was possibly fixed???

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm shocked that this isn't blowing up nationally. I was listening to the radio (kjr 950) and one of the hosts starts talking about a friend of his from down in the Bay area who had contacted him. He told Ian (the host of the radio show) that they had a weekly interview with a gambling expert (handicapper/bookie) and that he had to hear the audio. This professional handicapper they had on during the interview brings up XL in reference to talking about the NO LA game and if games could be fixed. He claims that the head official of XL (Bill Leavy) was a client of his... That's bad enough that an NFL official is obviously betting on games and has a professional handicapper or bookie... However, he then goes on to say that he fully believes XL was fixed, basically that Leavy was going to call whatever it took to make the Steelers win that game.

Here is a link to the shows audio. They start talking about this at about the 16:30 mark.
https://www.spreaker.com/user/9808617/1-29-h2_2

:shock:

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
It was clearly fixed, but this doesn’t prove anything. No bookie in their right mind would divulge client list and risk their reputation, right? We were supposed to be happy to be there and go quietly back to Alaska as the bus rolled into Canton.

Seymour

Reaction score
I heard that today also. Pretty disturbing crap for sure. The interview sounded pretty creditable to me but one has to wonder how this would not be blowing up if there is a shred of truth to it? If it's not, it's hard to imagine this guys motive to call out something like 14 years later.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I remember the NFL commissioner of the time refusing to fine Holmgren for saying "I didn't realize i had to play the guys in the striped shirts too."

Then Bill Leavy tells Matt Hasselbeck years later "I kicked a few calls there."

roethlisberger basically admitting to David Letterman that shoving the football over the goal line after he was down was not a touchdown.

"It didn't matter though, we were going to run the same play next down."

Plus, that game is in "The Top 10 Worst Officiated NFL Games." on NFLN.

I will always LOVE Chris Berman opening the first show the next fall saying "This is for Seattle! Wooop!" And throwing a yellow flag at the camera.

It doesn't bother me like it used to. I find it "interesting" discussion these days. No anger, just a professional sports curiosity and how blatant and dishonest some people are willing to be.

Funny thing yesterday, Bob Shelton and Tom Wassell were going off yesterday about anyone suspicious of that non call against the Rams and saying anyone that thinks so it's the kind of person that wears tinfoil hats.

Wassell said "They're not biased! They're officials" as if once someone becomes an official, they lose all bias. They actually defended the non call.

Those 2 have become the kings of Self Righteous Indignation, setting up soft targets then tearing them down. I was shocked the way they treated Ray Roberts. Bob and Tom HATE Cam Newton and when Ray tried to offer a different argument, they shouted him down. It was pathetic behavour, and apparently hasn't changed.

Don't you dare broach a subject that they don't like! They will shred you and belittle your ideas. :snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The NFL doesn’t need to investigate this (they’ll find no wrong doing) the feds need to as there can be several federal charges if this is true and likely is. ....and let’s remind folks this was rebroadcast by KJR but originally broadcast on KNBR a San Francisco sports station.

Always thought XL* was fixed, now we know it pretty much was.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2w88rskc said:
It was clearly fixed, but this doesn’t prove anything. No bookie in their right mind would divulge client list and risk their reputation, right? We were supposed to be happy to be there and go quietly back to Alaska as the bus rolled into Canton.
It's not the smoking gun, no. However, an accusation like this should scare the NFL. I would think that especially with the recent issues they'd want to do anything they can to insure the public that their games are not fixed. This guy isn't some back alley bookie making a wild accusation. He seems to be a pretty well respected guy who has nothing to gain by making this claim. He worked in the front office of the Raiders before he got into gambling.

As for divulging client information that really depends. If it was illegal stuff then you're probably right, who knows what the repercussions of that would be. If he's no longer doing that sort of work though, then why not? I think right now he's working for an online company setting lines and making picks/suggestions. If that's all he's doing now and isn't working with clients anymore then he has nothing to worry about.

I personally don't think the NFL is fixing games. I think they have too much to risk and too many people over the years would know too much to expect to hide it forever. However, do I think that some refs are dirty? Yes, yes I do, and that's still a major problem for the NFL. I'd like to see a full Federal investigation into Leavy.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
DJrmb":30tyi9mk said:
KARAVARUS":30tyi9mk said:
It's not the smoking gun, no. However, an accusation like this should scare the NFL. I would think that especially with the recent issues they'd want to do anything they can to insure the public that their games are not fixed. This guy isn't some back alley bookie making a wild accusation. He seems to be a pretty well respected guy who has nothing to gain by making this claim. He worked in the front office of the Raiders before he got into gambling.

As for divulging client information that really depends. If it was illegal stuff then you're probably right, who knows what the repercussions of that would be. If he's no longer doing that sort of work though, then why not? I think right now he's working for an online company setting lines and making picks/suggestions. If that's all he's doing now and isn't working with clients anymore then he has nothing to worry about.

I personally don't think the NFL is fixing games. I think they have too much to risk and too many people over the years would know too much to expect to hide it forever. However, do I think that some refs are dirty? Yes, yes I do, and that's still a major problem for the NFL. I'd like to see a full Federal investigation into Leavy.

I’m on board, brother. Interested to see if anyone takes up the torch. Or at least come back with the link of what the Walrus says tomorrow. ;)

Russellmania3

Reaction score
After the offensive PI call against Djack on the first drive .. I knew something was up.

I am still ticked off about XL

plus I plucked down $100 on Jackson to score the 1st TD at like 20 something to 1 odds

James in PA

Reaction score
Please let this story blow up nationally ... and let there be an independent investigation ... and have people go to prison ... and have the Stealers be stripped of that particular *title.

But, it’s the Seahawks. Not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Haven’t heard a peep about this in the national media. If that had happened to one of the “legacy teams” it would be front page news on ESPN and other sites.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1r0y1sjg said:
Haven’t heard a peep about this in the national media. If that had happened to one of the “legacy teams” it would be front page news on ESPN and other sites.

Dammit....intercepted by Sherman again. :stirthepot: :lol:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I've asked this before, but why would a Seahawks fan who believes that the NFL is deliberately picking the winners of games and telling the officials to make that happen (and specifically in this case, did that in a Super Bowl), continue to watch the games? That is some irrational behavior, right up there with staying with your significant other who is abusing you.

James in PA

Reaction score
Aros":3fiiwkwn said:
And in other news water is wet and the sky is blue. :stirthepot: :les:
And Cris Collinsworth really, really likes Patrick Mahomes.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkGA

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3aq7kqyw said:
I've asked this before, but why would a Seahawks fan who believes that the NFL is deliberately picking the winners of games and telling the officials to make that happen (and specifically in this case, did that in a Super Bowl), continue to watch the games? That is some irrational behavior, right up there with staying with your significant other who is abusing you.

The allegation here isn't that the NFL rigged it. It's that a particular ref did. That's not the same level of screw job as having the entire NFL being behind fixing games.

Also, there is a big difference between a the NFL nudging certain outcomes and going full WWE level of scripting.

One final point. If the NFL was going to script or nudge, it's likely they would do so prior to the Super Bowl to set the teams rather than actually care who won the actual game.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
HawkGA":84f5r78p said:
bmorepunk":84f5r78p said:

The allegation here isn't that the NFL rigged it. It's that a particular ref did. That's not the same level of screw job as having the entire NFL being behind fixing games.

Also, there is a big difference between a the NFL nudging certain outcomes and going full WWE level of scripting.

One final point. If the NFL was going to script or nudge, it's likely they would do so prior to the Super Bowl to set the teams rather than actually care who won the actual game.

Okay, I'll bring it back to just the individual ref situation and just assume it's a bad actor during one event. This seems really unlikely with the likely explanation just being human error, but that's reasonably possible.

I've never been down with the "script/nudge" theories. It's too big of a conspiracy to keep under wraps with everybody involved. There would be over 100 officials and a bunch of NFL staffers involved.

Torc

Reaction score
Russellmania3":2kbjg2h7 said:
After the offensive PI call against Djack on the first drive .. I knew something was up.

I am still ticked off about XL

plus I plucked down $100 on Jackson to score the 1st TD at like 20 something to 1 odds

For me it is the call on Hasselbeck....anytime I start to get over XL I think of that call. I can't recall a QB ever getting flagged for trying to make a tackle in that situation.....in fact, I don't think I've ever seen any player in the act of making a tackle get flagged for an illegal block. When it's a call you've never seen before, it was probably manufactured.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3eze4x66 said:
bmorepunk":3eze4x66 said:

This ^, I am not naïve enough to believe that corruption doesn't exist,,, Money Gets What Money Wants.