2nd Annual "You're the GM" Edition! (OP UPDATED 03-04-2019)

kf3339

Reaction score
((My Original post was updated today (March 4, 2019) ))

This thread is for all those couch GM's who want to play the part again. My first thread last February seemed to be really well enjoyed and many participated with their own plan. I hope this will continue this off season as well!

Again, there are some basic rules for this thread. First, this is meant to be a positive and proactive way to give your plan for the Seahawks. It's not meant to criticize those posts or parts you disagree with. There are other threads you can go to for that purpose. Second, you don't have to go thru the dollar amounts as I know some don't have the time or knowledge to go this route. If you want go to this route (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks) for the cap and contract numbers, but if not it's still fun to play by using more of a general plan of action! You can also find the current 2019 roster with EFRA, RFA and UFA players listed on Jammerhawk's top pinned thread (3rd post down) to help you with the roster. There are four parts to the game. If you wish try to give all parts in your plan as well. After all that is the fun of being the GM! Last, you may either update your original post or make a new GM post thru-out the off season up until the draft. Your choice!

I hope the Mods will keep this thread at the top of the page so all can find it just like last time. So enjoy!

Part 1:
2018 season review:

All in all I was happy with how the season ended for the Hawks. My original guess was we would end up 9-6 and just miss the playoffs. We did a little better than that!

Our offense made some strong progress in our run game and O-line in particular. That was a major improvement from the last few years. I did feel our passing game was still a bit under performing from a scheme and numbers standpoint. My concern is more about play calling than the personnel. I hope PC sees this as well for next season. I expected our defense to be the biggest area of concern with the cuts, injuries, ET and trade of Bennett. This meant we were getting younger and it showed. While there is much to like about the improvement over the course of the season, it is still the bigger issue this off-season. We need more pass rush and the secondary needs to take a bigger step this next season. I would expect much of the draft to be devoted to this side of the ball. Last, I really enjoyed the pick of Dickson as our punter and he didn't disappoint! That being said, I do think that the same move needs to be done with the Kicker position in the draft, if possible. Janikowski was okay, but the injuries makes me think he is pretty much done. I'm not going to go thru individual players as that would take too much time. But I will give a shout out to Poona Ford. The guy really showed for his rookie season and I expect even better things for him next year!

Areas of Offensive Strength: QB, OL, RB, TE Offensive Weakness: WR depth, OL depth

Areas of Defensive Strength: LB Defensive Weakness: DT depth, DE, S, CB, LB depth

Current Cap position: $ 52,000,000 (from overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks)

Part 2.

Player cuts:

Kam Chancellor - Saves $5.3M on cap space (post June 1st), becomes assistant DB coach
Barkevious Mingo - Saves $3.3M on cap space (post June 1st cut), if we sign a better SLB/LEO in FA

Revised Cap position (minus Mingo for now): $57.3M

Kam as we all know is retired and can be cut now. Mingo may be replaceable in the draft or FA at a cheaper rate or better FA like Amos. Also Jacob Martin really came on and may be able to supplant Mingo in preseason.

Re-signing:

Frank Clark - Franchise Clark for the $17M tag, but keep working on a longer term deal to lower Cap Hit.
KJ Wright - $12M with a $5M signing bonus over 2 years and 2019 salary of $2M for a 2019 cap hit of $4.5M which is very fair for both sides. I think he deserves to go out a Seahawk.
JR Sweezy - $7M with a $3M signing bonus over 3 years and 2019 salary of $1M for a 2019 cap hit of $2M. Guards can play into their 30's and he played very well for us.
DJ Fluker - $7M with a $3M signing bonus over two years and 2019 salary of $1M and 2019 cap hit of $2.5M - I like Fluker a lot, but his injuries do concern me and Simmons played well when Fluker was out.
Justin Coleman - $9M with a $3M signing bonus over 3 years and 2019 salary of $500K. 2019 cap hit of $3.5M
David Moore - EFRA tender
Jordan Simmons - EFRA tender
Quinton Jefferson -EFRA tender
Austin Calitro -EFRA tender
Tyler Ott -EFRA tender
JD McKissic - RFA tender
Tre Madden - RFA tender
George Fant - RFA tender
Joey Hunt - RFA tender
Akeem King - RFA tender

I am factoring all above EFRA and RFA tenders as a combined $8M for 2019. This could be somewhat low, but not sure how to break these out. Several other players could be re-signed down the road including Davis, Stephen, Jordan and especially Kendricks depending on his court date outcome. If he doesn't or just gets minimal jail time he becomes a more important signing, and I suspect he will be very open to coming back with the Seahawks.

New 2019 revised Cap Position: $19.8M

Part 3.

New FA targets:

After looking over our Defensive needs and potential younger FA's I have the following targets for our team:

DE Fowler - 3 year contract for #20M with a signing bonus of $6M and 1st year base of $3M. Cap hit $5M this year.
FS Curtis Riley - 2 year contract at $4M with a signing bonus of $1M and 1st hear base of $500K. Cap hit $1M.
SS Adrain Amos - 3 year contract at $15M with signing bonus of $6M and 1st year base of $1M. Cap hit $3M.
NT Pennel/Logan - 3 year contract at $9M with a signing bonus of $1.5M and 1st year base of $500K. Cap hit $1M

This strategy solves two areas of need on the defense (DL and S positions). It gives us a quality Leo that can play opposite Clark on passing downs and a higher upside at the SLB position. Fowler also knows our system given his play for Bradley in Jacksonville. I think he could put up similar numbers as Avril for us (7-10 sacks/year) and make teams not slant towards Clark since he would be a pass rushing threat as well. Also either Mike Pennel or Bennie Logan would be a stronger NT run stopping presence on our line and move Reed to the 3tech for the base defense. This would also give some time for Ford to get more development to take over the starting role in a year or two. For safety I think Riley could really challenge Tedric for the starting FS role and may even supplant him in training camp. Amos would be a quality upgrade over McDougald, is still young and just going into his prime. These two additions would upgrade our secondary now rather than waiting for new rookies to learn and develop over the next few years.

With these moves I would then cut Mingo and McDougald and save $6.6M on our salary cap.

New Revised Cap Position: $16.4M

Player trades:
There will be no player trades, unless JS and PC can find some suitors for Mingo and MacDougald with late round draft picks. For this plan I see them being cut prior to the draft. ET is gone.

Part 4.

Draft picks and player targets:

At this point we only have 4 picks in the upcoming draft. Those are 1st round (21), 3rd round (84) and two more mid/late round picks. Obviously JS will look to trade down from (21) for more picks. We could come out with 6 total, but doubt more at this point.

My targets are as follows: DE, LB, big WR, OG, CB, K

Draft day: trade 1st pick (21) for a late 1st or early 2nd round and 3rd round pick. Trade 4th round pick for a 5th and 6th round pick.

late 1st/early 2nd round pick: Charles Omenihu DL Texas, After watching him at the senior bowl and combine I can see him as being a really good pick for our Hawks. He has even more potential than McDowell without the issues and has a great first step and motor. Give him 20 more pounds of muscle and he could be a dominant 3tech for our team! Pair him with Reed on passing downs and we solve our interior pass rush for the next 5-7 years!

3 round pick (from trade): LB or WR
3 round pick (our own) : LB/WR/OG
5th round pick(from trade): OG/WR
5th round pick (our own): CB
6th round pick (from trade) : K

I will update the other potential draft player option in the next week or two. Just want to do some more studying before I make my guesses.

I am placing $3M for draft picks in 2019 which seems about right.

Final revised Cap Position: $12.4M

This leaves us room for additional moves including an unexpected post June 1st cut or trade that would be perfect for our team. Just look at what Mack did for the Bears!

That's it for me. Now you be the GM. What is your total plan?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Great post... a few things that come to mind for me.

-franchise and trade Frank Clark.
-don’t pay Russ this year, tag him next year
-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-trade Pocic to the Raiders for whatever you can get
-if Kyler Murray is there at your first pick take him, otherwise trade back
-draft Deebo Samuel
-if Murray is gone trade back once or twice. Take an offensive lineman. DE will be deep.
-pay Justin Coleman
-look for a safety in free agency- Ha Ha Clinton dix?
-sign Trent Brown to play RT

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Thank you for making the effort to leave some comments. I was beginning to think no one actually cares about this thread I started for all of our benefit.

Hopefully, others will start to come up with ideas of their own and make it worthy of being pinned at the top. If not, I will just ask the mods to take that off and let it fall out of the first few pages.

Again, thank you! :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
On the surface.

I try to get a deal with Clark done ASAP, he is going to dictate what we have going forward, rarely do we franchise, we have little to no known impact pass rush at the moment and he has turned into a great leader on Defense, resign Coleman as well.

Make a deal with Kendricks with a contingency and a scaled salary based on games played in in the event he has a sentence.

Make the normal deals with ERFA and UFA guys that have been contributing, camp will sort out the keepers.

Start feeling out the draft and see who is possible trade down partners.

Keep an eye on the 49ers for when they get cute, if they play a game and release Mullens grab him, I like him better the Hundley, which brings up back up QB's we have none right now.

Brett Hundley UFA this year. now knows system, will probably be a 1 million resign.

I look at FS and SS and Edge and big WR in Draft and F.A. big butts should be a dime a dozen in the draft for interior run support, but a guy thats a Mebane type that can pass rush and run stop would be nice to keep Reed fresh.

Next again fringe players waiting for a chance, KJ spot is still in need of a back up if we sign Kendricks and cut him, look for one or two, they are great on special teams also. Next Mingo, we need that tweener and he player well, not headline grabbing but well enough to keep.

It's a lot of homework this year and trading down if available to fill in pieces. I don't see impact signings as in headline guys this year. we need more depth and gaining experince in most places and health.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Can you believe the Hawks signed at least 10 UFA and traded for 2 last year when the team didn’t have a lot of cap space?

Dontae Johnson
Mo Alexander
Mykel Kendricks
Mingo
Tom Johnson
Shamar Stephen
Sweezy
Fluker
Dickson
Jaron Brown
Darnell Daniels
Hundley

I think the team will sign a run stopping DT, rush DE, OLB, CB, S, WR, G and/or RB. This will give the team a lot of flexibility in the draft since they should have filled a lot of holes prior to the draft.

Run stuffing DT
An absolute must. In 2013-14, it was an absolute shock if a RB rushed for over 100 yds. The 2018 Dline was inconsistent losing gap control, missed assignments....whatever, but it was unreliable.

Rush DE
They signed players like Raheem Brock and Dwight Freeney in the past so I believe they’ll do it again and rotate with Martin and another draft pick.

Weakside OLB
A very important position so I have to think the team will sign Kendricks or KJ. I don’t know if PC trusts Calitro or Griffin to start and play at a high level immediately. I see the team draft a player too.

S
They have 3 under contract so I can see the team sign a vet and possibly draft one too.

CB
I know people were meh about King, but I think they can develop him with another offseason under his belt. Thorpe is a very good ST player but they may look for a low cost option especially if we resign Coleman.

Oline
If Solari can plug in a rookie UDFA like Simmons to play at a high level, I think he’ll do a great job if it’s Fluker or Sweezy or someone else.

WR
I don’t know what they think about Brown and Moore. Or Keenan Reynolds, Caleb Scott, Malik Turner, or Amara Darboh. But, PC likes tall WRs so I suspect they’ll draft one and throw him into the mix.

RB
I don’t know if Mike Davis will be resigned. Prosise is completely unreliable and don’t know what Scarborough can do. I see the team sign a low cost FA and get one via the draft.

QB
I see the team resign Hundley to a low cost deal.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":13qmuron said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-if Murray is gone trade back once or twice. Take an offensive lineman. DE will be deep.
-pay Justin Coleman

You want murray to replace RW in 2021?

Jville

Reaction score
I'm reading the Kam Chancellor contract as guaranteed if he can't pass a physical and remains under injured status. So, I don't anticipate any urgency to release Chancellor prior to training camp.

Although Kam has indicated his playing days are over, he hasn't actually submitted his retirement papers.
I guess we'll see.

Edit: [urltargetblank]http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41054845-4[/urltargetblank]
On Friday, $5.2 million of Kam Chancellor's $10 million base salary for 2019 is scheduled to become fully guaranteed. That amount was guaranteed for injury only at the time he signed his extension, which essentially means he's already guaranteed that money since he's not expected to play again due to a 2017 neck injury.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Uncle Si":slvpai4g said:
ImTheScientist":slvpai4g said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

Yes. That way we are not strapped the 30mil Russ will cost. We would have a QB on a rookie contract for 2-3 years letting us build a better team. Not many teams in the last 15 years have won paying their QB top 5 money. Im a HUGE Wilson supporter but I question the price tag and how it handicaps a team.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I suspect my plan below (02/09/19) is very different from what most would do. Goal is maximizing long-term wins.

Players released
Ed Dickson
Barkevious Mingo
Jaron Brown
Amara Darboh
Jamie Meder

Early FA signings
LG Mike Iupati ($6m AV, $5.2m cap hit in 2019)
DT Darius Philon ($3.2m cap hit for 2019)
DE/OLB Bruce Irvin ($3m AV, $2.5m cap hit in 2019)
WR Devin Funchess ($4m one year deal)

Iupati is a much more complete player than either Fluker or Sweezy. Philon upgrades our run defense, we know Bruce can play in our system well, and Funchess is a one year gamble on a big target who hasn't put it together yet.

UFAs let walk
Frank Clark (comp 3rd 2020)
Earl Thomas (comp 3rd/4th 2020)
DJ Fluker (comp 6th/7th 2020)
JR Sweezy (comp 7th 2020)
Shamar Stephen
Dion Jordan
Mo Alexander
Brett Hundley
Mike Davis
Neiko Thorpe
Seabass

Some good players here but the chance of any of them outperforming their next contract is low. Based on these losses and signing the four FAs listed previously we should be able to recoup at least four compensatory picks next year with two high ones from Earl and Frank.

Nine players re-signed (mainly RFA/ERFA)
Justin Coleman
KJ Wright
George Fant
Quinton Jefferson
JD McKissic
Jordan Simmons
Akeem King
Branden Jackson
Mychal Kendricks

Coleman has been a key contributor on both special teams and as a slot corner. I know people are down on KJ, but I think with an off-season to recover he has a good chance of contributing next year and most importantly his value to us is higher than it likely is to other teams. Kendricks obviously depends on his trial and won't happen until late, but we can use him if he ends up available. The rest can be resigned cheaply for one more year as restricted/exclusive restricted free agents.

Two big extensions
QB Russell Wilson ($30m AV, $27m cap hit in 2019)
MLB Bobby Wagner ($15m AV, $14m cap hit in 2019)

Not only our two best players but also two of our most reliable ones. Their cap hit will likely not increase much in the year in which an extension is signed, although we could structure them flatter if we have extra money to use this year.

All put together these moves would leave the team with around $29 million in cap space (assuming $189m cap) entering the draft to sign draft picks, UDFAs, and then any remaining free agents added post May where they will not affect our 2020 compensatory picks.

NFL Draft 2019
First "fair" trade down: Sending #21 to Indy for #26 and #59
Second "fair" trade down: Sending #26 to Arizona for #33 and #65
#33 DE Montez Sweat. Lengthy speed edge rusher who could play either DE or OLB for us.
#59 TE TJ Hockenson. Big reliable target who can actually pass protect and block well.
#65 OG Nate Herbig. Run blocking guard with high upside.
#84 S Marvel Tell III. Good against the run but needs coaching and to bulk up a bit.
#117 CB JoeJuan Williams. Big press corner prospect.
#148 LB Bobby Okereke. Smart WILL LB prospect who could help on special teams immediately.
#211 K John Baron II. 5/5 at 50+ yard field goals this season with San Diego State.
15 UDFAs

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
AgentDib said:
NFL Draft 2019
#33 DE Montez Sweat. Lengthy speed edge rusher who could play either DE or OLB for us.
#59 TE TJ Hockenson. Big reliable target who can actually pass protect and block well.
/quote]

I like most your moves but I have seen Sweat projected top 15 and Hockenson even mocked to us at 21..... not sure sure either last to 33 let alone 59.

John63

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2qmj8exy said:
Uncle Si":2qmj8exy said:
ImTheScientist":2qmj8exy said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

Yes. That way we are not strapped the 30mil Russ will cost. We would have a QB on a rookie contract for 2-3 years letting us build a better team. Not many teams in the last 15 years have won paying their QB top 5 money. Im a HUGE Wilson supporter but I question the price tag and how it handicaps a team.

Okay and if Murray is a bust then we suck, so you want to do this taking a chance on an unknown over a known. HMMM

Let me spell this out

With Wilson, we know we are in the hunt every year. Without Wilson, we need to HOPE we can put together a top 5 Defense, keep a top 5 run game and hope Murray Turns into at least an above avg QB. that's a lot of hopping over a known.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":6i8wzm0h said:
I suspect my plan below (02/09/19) is very different from what most would do. Goal is maximizing long-term wins.

Players released
Ed Dickson
Barkevious Mingo
Jaron Brown
Amara Darboh
Jamie Meder

Early FA signings
LG Mike Iupati ($6m AV, $5.2m cap hit in 2019)
DT Darius Philon ($3.2m cap hit for 2019)
DE/OLB Bruce Irvin ($3m AV, $2.5m cap hit in 2019)
WR Devin Funchess ($4m one year deal)

Iupati is a much more complete player than either Fluker or Sweezy. Philon upgrades our run defense, we know Bruce can play in our system well, and Funchess is a one year gamble on a big target who hasn't put it together yet.

UFAs let walk
Frank Clark (comp 3rd 2020)
Earl Thomas (comp 3rd/4th 2020)
DJ Fluker (comp 6th/7th 2020)
JR Sweezy (comp 7th 2020)
Shamar Stephen
Dion Jordan
Mo Alexander
Brett Hundley
Mike Davis
Neiko Thorpe
Seabass

Some good players here but the chance of any of them outperforming their next contract is low. Based on these losses and signing the four FAs listed previously we should be able to recoup at least four compensatory picks next year with two high ones from Earl and Frank.

Nine players re-signed (mainly RFA/ERFA)
Justin Coleman
KJ Wright
George Fant
Quinton Jefferson
JD McKissic
Jordan Simmons
Akeem King
Branden Jackson
Mychal Kendricks

Coleman has been a key contributor on both special teams and as a slot corner. I know people are down on KJ, but I think with an off-season to recover he has a good chance of contributing next year and most importantly his value to us is higher than it likely is to other teams. Kendricks obviously depends on his trial and won't happen until late, but we can use him if he ends up available. The rest can be resigned cheaply for one more year as restricted/exclusive restricted free agents.

Two big extensions
QB Russell Wilson ($30m AV, $27m cap hit in 2019)
MLB Bobby Wagner ($15m AV, $14m cap hit in 2019)

Not only our two best players but also two of our most reliable ones. Their cap hit will likely not increase much in the year in which an extension is signed, although we could structure them flatter if we have extra money to use this year.

All put together these moves would leave the team with around $29 million in cap space (assuming $189m cap) entering the draft to sign draft picks, UDFAs, and then any remaining free agents added post May where they will not affect our 2020 compensatory picks.

NFL Draft 2019
#65 OG Nate Herbig. Run blocking guard with high upside.
#84 S Marvel Tell III. Good against the run but needs coaching and to bulk up a bit.
#117 CB JoeJuan Williams. Big press corner prospect.
#148 LB Bobby Okereke. Smart WILL LB prospect who could help on special teams immediately.
#211 K John Baron II. 5/5 at 50+ yard field goals this season with San Diego State.
15 UDFAs

Not really a nitpick, but I would not draft a Kicker, I also would not grab one from a fair weather City or a program where they have not expererinced a lot of pressure situations. Thats not to say there may not be a good one playing in the sun, but someone that plays with a regular wind weather situation as well as more pressure to perform has more boxes checked. Most guys considered draftable can kick pretty well in a combine situation anyway. Turn the stress up with game on the line and a swirling wind to account for and rain in their face and it can be different.

Why in another thread I thought looking at last years cuts from teams at the end of camp and seeing who you can bring in may be a good idea, they should have been practicing kicking off the ground and not a T which is a big adjustment for them as well as they know NFL atmosphere as well, then see which ones are available as UDFA.

I say this due to limited draft picks this year as of yet, burning one on a Kicker where I think we can find one other ways is wasted resources this draft. Or there may be a Cut come this off season as well we could sign if you wanted a Veteran. Your going to pay for one probably but that would be the other option.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
IT's nice to see that this thread is starting to get some interest other than just reading alone. Perhaps I just started it a week or two early.

Well, it's getting time to start taking cuts, re-signs and targeting UFA targets for adding to the team. Will update my original post soon with those FA targets. Hope everyone likes this thread idea again!

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's an interesting discussion to be had about the best way to acquire a kicker. Is it worth throwing money at a "known" FA kicker vs. drafting unknown prospects until you hit on one? In either case the goal is to get a reliable kicker for the long-term.

There were 30 NFL kickers who made more than 10 field goals this season. Of those, the 13 "veteran FA" who have kicked many field goals for multiple teams had an 85% accuracy rate. The other 17 "drafted/udfa and stuck with one team" kickers had a similar 86% accuracy rate. The correlation between signing with multiple teams as a free agent and 2019 field goal accuracy rate is slightly negative but mostly flat (-0.05).

However, once you start looking at salary and contract duration the shortcomings in the veteran FA route become apparent. Robbie Gould, Jason Myers, Josh Lambo, and Matt Bryant were the most effective veteran FA PKs last season in terms of field goal percentage but none of the four are under contract in 2019. Meanwhile most of the effective single team PKs are either still under contract or are good candidates for extensions (RFA/ERFA), including Rosas, Badgley, Lutz, Sanders, Hopkins, Butker, Fairburn, and Zuerlein. The salary difference for these players is also dramatic as most have cap hits of between $0.5m and $0.8m.

I think the best plan for the Seahawks is to draft a kicker late every year until we are happy with one. They should compete in training camp against a ~$1m veteran FA PK that we sign after the compensatory pick deadline on May 8th.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2hjki0i5 said:
Uncle Si":2hjki0i5 said:
ImTheScientist":2hjki0i5 said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

You want,to,trade a top 5, first ballot hof qb in,his prime for a scrawny dude who will get killed getting hit in the NFL and who doesn't even have 20 starts in college ? Thank God you don't run this team .

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3114gfqz said:
ImTheScientist":3114gfqz said:
Uncle Si":3114gfqz said:
ImTheScientist":3114gfqz said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

You want,to,trade a top 5, first ballot hof qb in,his prime for a scrawny dude who will get killed getting hit in the NFL and who doesn't even have 20 starts in college ? Thank God you don't run this team .

Please read the second paragraph of my original post about the guidelines of this thread. It clearly states that this thread is to give your plan as a GM; not to criticize those that take the time and put a plan together. If you don't like a post, come up with your own full plan. That is the purpose of this thread. Thank you.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
John63":17s9dyjm said:
ImTheScientist":17s9dyjm said:
Uncle Si":17s9dyjm said:
ImTheScientist":17s9dyjm said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

Okay and if Murray is a bust then we suck, so you want to do this taking a chance on an unknown over a known. HMMM

Let me spell this out

With Wilson, we know we are in the hunt every year. Without Wilson, we need to HOPE we can put together a top 5 Defense, keep a top 5 run game and hope Murray Turns into at least an above avg QB. that's a lot of hopping over a known.

Please read the second paragraph of the original post (mine). It clearly states that this thread is for those who want to prepare and post a full plan as the GM, not to just criticize or attack a single segment of someone else's post. Make an effort and come up with a full plan for yourself. It's not that hard. Thank you.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
John63":4cehdm8d said:

Ok a few things:

1. Not taking Murray doesn't improve our chances at avoiding a bust. You can bust at any position. Even DT (2017) or RB (2018)

2. You presume that taking Murray requires we get rid of Russell. That's untrue. Having Russell means you have the luxury of taking (and busting) on a QB with no impact at all. Outside of the busted pick. Which Seattle has established they are prone to do like 4 of the last 5 years.

3. QBs are coming into this league more prepared than ever to start and succeed straight away. This has been going on for quite some time now. Opinions on QB risk tend to be hardened depending on when someone started following the sport rigorously. It's very common to see general opinion (and anxiety) revolving around 90s/00s results of how risky and poor QB development translated to NFL success.

But this game has evolved. From pee wee on up. QBs that enter this league now, have been taught better. And regimes in the high school (and preceding that) throw vastly more often than they did when it was all about the running back. The QB stable at UW has players that passed far more than they ran almost all the way through the ranks (maybe Yankoff excepted?). Good college QBs have already been throwing and learning at a ridiculously expedited rate. There are more good QBs now in college. And they come even further prepared into the NFL.

Additionally, the NFL has also adapted. Softened the transition on purpose. Tailoring offenses to be more familiar with new QBs. Instead of forcing a round rookie QB peg into a square, rigid, intractable offense -- they work with their existing knowledge base better and smooth the learning curve over time.

So QBs aren't nearly the risk that our common tribal knowledge tends to expect. In every draft it seems there are 2-4 QBs capable of taking their teams to the playoffs. Or able to vie for conference championships during their rookie contract. Remember when Wilson was such an outlier (team with a rookie deal QB in the playoffs) that it was actually a thing that the national narrative picked up? Now there are like 5-6 teams in the playoffs with QBs on rookie deals. It's not only not rare anymore. It's commonplace and likely to accelerate.

John63":4cehdm8d said:
Let me spell this out

Well spelled out. Let's read between the lines some then.

With Wilson (at his current salary), the only hope to put together a top 5 defense is to limit your number of 5M+ contracts on the defensive side to no more than 3. And no 10M+ contracts. Has to be smaller. That'd mean no earl. No Wagner. No Clark. Reed has to go after this year. And of course no LOB either except in their rookie deal incarnation.

At his expected price in 2019, that restriction draws much tighter.

Additionally, you are grossly limited in how you allocate to offense as well. You can't really afford more than 35M+ in your OL spend. You have to have good/not great talent there. And it goes without saying you're going to have rookie deal RBs. Also, you will need to be judicious in WR spend. Baldwin is too expensive if you're trying to have a top 5 rushing attack.

You can do it the Patriots way. But to do so means to not only not pay your guys. But you have to play the Comp pick game every year. Add street UFAs only. And trade away top talents at the ends of their rookie deals a year early to recoup picks. And of course kill it on the development end.

The reality is, Seattle (and by that I mean Pete), wants a top 5 rushing attack and top 5 defense by design. However paying 20M (or 35M) for a QB makes that task virtually impossible without some radical steps made. It would have to be far more radical than what NE does because Brady takes a massive discount to stick with the team.

Seattle hasn't shown the ability to manage the other 52 players on the team in such a way as to allow for a top market QB. Which is particularly difficult since Seattle doesn't both pay and rely on it's franchise quality (and paid) QB to win games. It's a paradigm mismatch that ultimately serves to impede itself.

If one presumes that Pete is going to be around for the next three years. Then one has to concede his brand of winning. And how does that possibility look when one has a huge cap crater at QB. I assume that Pete is here to stay until 2021. So I know what to expect in terms of how this club is going to be designed. It's not going to leverage Wilson's quality in full. It's going to try to run and defend and pass on occasion. And it'd going to have to do that with a huge disparity in cap space and high attrition rates for top shelf talent elsewhere.

It's a constipated effort by design. It seems less risky to add a rookie QB. If he shows he's capable of not losing games while throwing 25 times or less -- then you have the scenario where you have:

Wilson and whatever we pick this year

v.

Rookie QB, 30M+ to spend on the rest of your team, and at least a couple spare 1st round picks that we'll undoubtedly turn into 4-5 day two picks. That's basically a rookie QB, 2 top tier defensive stars and likely 3 other starters. That is not insignificant.

I'm not a fan of losing Wilson. But I also concede that the way Pete wants to build the team is largely incompatible with the cost of keeping Wilson. They are two dynamics competing against one another. And the only break in the impasse is for either Wilson's contract or Pete's team design to leave.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":22cokahp said:
John63":22cokahp said:

Ok a few things:

1. Not taking Murray doesn't improve our chances at avoiding a bust. You can bust at any position. Even DT (2017) or RB (2018)

2. You presume that taking Murray requires we get rid of Russell. That's untrue. Having Russell means you have the luxury of taking (and busting) on a QB with no impact at all. Outside of the busted pick. Which Seattle has established they are prone to do like 4 of the last 5 years.

3. QBs are coming into this league more prepared than ever to start and succeed straight away. This has been going on for quite some time now. Opinions on QB risk tend to be hardened depending on when someone started following the sport rigorously. It's very common to see general opinion (and anxiety) revolving around 90s/00s results of how risky and poor QB development translated to NFL success.

But this game has evolved. From pee wee on up. QBs that enter this league now, have been taught better. And regimes in the high school (and preceding that) throw vastly more often than they did when it was all about the running back. The QB stable at UW has players that passed far more than they ran almost all the way through the ranks (maybe Yankoff excepted?). Good college QBs have already been throwing and learning at a ridiculously expedited rate. There are more good QBs now in college. And they come even further prepared into the NFL.

Additionally, the NFL has also adapted. Softened the transition on purpose. Tailoring offenses to be more familiar with new QBs. Instead of forcing a round rookie QB peg into a square, rigid, intractable offense -- they work with their existing knowledge base better and smooth the learning curve over time.

So QBs aren't nearly the risk that our common tribal knowledge tends to expect. In every draft it seems there are 2-4 QBs capable of taking their teams to the playoffs. Or able to vie for conference championships during their rookie contract. Remember when Wilson was such an outlier (team with a rookie deal QB in the playoffs) that it was actually a thing that the national narrative picked up? Now there are like 5-6 teams in the playoffs with QBs on rookie deals. It's not only not rare anymore. It's commonplace and likely to accelerate.

John63":22cokahp said:
Let me spell this out

Well spelled out. Let's read between the lines some then.

With Wilson (at his current salary), the only hope to put together a top 5 defense is to limit your number of 5M+ contracts on the defensive side to no more than 3. And no 10M+ contracts. Has to be smaller. That'd mean no earl. No Wagner. No Clark. Reed has to go after this year. And of course no LOB either except in their rookie deal incarnation.

At his expected price in 2019, that restriction draws much tighter.

Additionally, you are grossly limited in how you allocate to offense as well. You can't really afford more than 35M+ in your OL spend. You have to have good/not great talent there. And it goes without saying you're going to have rookie deal RBs. Also, you will need to be judicious in WR spend. Baldwin is too expensive if you're trying to have a top 5 rushing attack.

You can do it the Patriots way. But to do so means to not only not pay your guys. But you have to play the Comp pick game every year. Add street UFAs only. And trade away top talents at the ends of their rookie deals a year early to recoup picks. And of course kill it on the development end.

The reality is, Seattle (and by that I mean Pete), wants a top 5 rushing attack and top 5 defense by design. However paying 20M (or 35M) for a QB makes that task virtually impossible without some radical steps made. It would have to be far more radical than what NE does because Brady takes a massive discount to stick with the team.

Seattle hasn't shown the ability to manage the other 52 players on the team in such a way as to allow for a top market QB. Which is particularly difficult since Seattle doesn't both pay and rely on it's franchise quality (and paid) QB to win games. It's a paradigm mismatch that ultimately serves to impede itself.

If one presumes that Pete is going to be around for the next three years. Then one has to concede his brand of winning. And how does that possibility look when one has a huge cap crater at QB. I assume that Pete is here to stay until 2021. So I know what to expect in terms of how this club is going to be designed. It's not going to leverage Wilson's quality in full. It's going to try to run and defend and pass on occasion. And it'd going to have to do that with a huge disparity in cap space and high attrition rates for top shelf talent elsewhere.

It's a constipated effort by design. It seems less risky to add a rookie QB. If he shows he's capable of not losing games while throwing 25 times or less -- then you have the scenario where you have:

Wilson and whatever we pick this year

v.

Rookie QB, 30M+ to spend on the rest of your team, and at least a couple spare 1st round picks that we'll undoubtedly turn into 4-5 day two picks. That's basically a rookie QB, 2 top tier defensive stars and likely 3 other starters. That is not insignificant.

I'm not a fan of losing Wilson. But I also concede that the way Pete wants to build the team is largely incompatible with the cost of keeping Wilson. They are two dynamics competing against one another. And the only break in the impasse is for either Wilson's contract or Pete's team design to leave.

I suspect that most fans will prefer the latter.

But I agree with this opinion, and quite a few bloggers out there are starting to tack into the same position - that Wilson's days in Seattle are numbered. I personally am steeling myself to see him gone.

Of course, Kyler isn't going to be available at our pick, so.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2x5eeon2 said:
ImTheScientist":2x5eeon2 said:
Uncle Si":2x5eeon2 said:
ImTheScientist":2x5eeon2 said:

-don’t pay KJ
-sign Fluker
-draft Deebo Samuel
-pay Justin Coleman

Yes....but you are not including the part about the ~$30 mill we could spend on other players making the team better for 3-4 years. Thats the biggest part of it. Packers drafted Rodgers when Favre was in his prime, Niners switched to Young when Montana was in his prime. Its not as crazy as you would think.