What is Frank Clark’s price?

endzorn

Reaction score
Clark has made it very clear that he will accept nothing less than top dollar. What do you think that amount will be? Is his value similar to Khalil Mack? Is it similar to Aaron Donald? I don’t think he’s an elite player, but Seattle let him reach this point and if he hits free agency he’ll have a lot of teams bidding.

Would you rather he sign an offer with another team under the franchise tag and take the two 1sts or would you rather pay him top of the market money?

mistaowen

Reaction score
He was our pass rush this year and is a young, pro bowl level edge rusher only getting better. He's gonna get paid and I think PC/JS know they'll have to pay up. I'd guess he'll get in the 16-20 million/year range with a lot guaranteed. The money will be worth it though, pay your guys who perform entering their prime....with Bobby he is part of the new leadership core.

Seymour

Reaction score
I put him in this range.

Quinn $14.2M
Campbell $15M
Ingram $16M
Pierre Paul $15M

Mack at $23.5 is the outlier in that he is a hybrid OLB and a cut above most others.

I say tops is $18M to sign Clark but really he should be around $16M per year.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
I bet he sets his asking price well over $17m and then tries to test the market when Seattle doesn’t pay. He’s made it clear that he wants top dollar.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
endzorn":21puddx5 said:
I bet he sets his asking price well over $17m and then tries to test the market when Seattle doesn’t pay. He’s made it clear that he wants top dollar.

With the way the current CBA is, I don't begrudge that.

It'll be close to 18M.

Demarcus Lawrence is going lead his salary demands. Dallas has 50+ million in cap space and other than Cole Beasley, doesn't have much in the way of UFA losses. Lawrence made 17.1M last season. Expect close to 19.5 for his new deal.

Clark's market will be above 17M. He and Lawrence are basically the same player.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I think he's one of the top 7 young DE's in the game, but if he wants $19 or $20mil I would be tempted to let him walk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Frank and Sherman have been tweeting about it all week.

Richard Sherman

Verified account

@RSherman_25
Following Following @RSherman_25
More
Replying to @Burnasty75 @TheRealFrankC_ @1GunnaGunna
Don’t matter who represents him. He will get 17milliom + for his play

That's the quote of Sherman's Clark re-tweeted yesterday, so obviously it's in the 17-20M a year range.

The franchise tags haven't been set for 2019 yet, I think that's done in the spring. But last year the DE franchise tag was 17.3M, so my guess is 2019 will be in the 18M range.

So if I had to bet on what's going to happen? We franchise Clark this year, which he said he's fine with. Because if he wants north of 18M, then we might be in for a stalemate for a couple years.

themunn

Reaction score
18m would make him the highest paid 4-3 DE in the league, so I can't see it being more than that. I think it ends up closer to 17 though. Von Miller is on 19m (signed through 2022), so no chance is it above that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It feels like a Franchise tag to start is very likely. Then they have the chance of negotiating a long term deal. Or, if a team really coveted him, they could offer up a ransom for him. I prefer he stays, but if a team would be willing to give up a lot for him, they would have to at least consider it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":jrtr5a0o said:
18m would make him the highest paid 4-3 DE in the league, so I can't see it being more than that. I think it ends up closer to 17 though. Von Miller is on 19m (signed through 2022), so no chance is it above that.

I could see Clark asking for 19-20M to surpass Miller..........but as we all know the devil's in the details.

- how much guaranteed money
- how much bonus up front

The best news is that Clark's fine with being franchised, which not all players are. So at least that extends the negotiation timeframe to get a deal done.........as opposed to having to get it done before camp or we've got a holdout on our hands.

Fade

Reaction score
The Colts wouldn't blink at giving him $20M+ APY.

If he hits the open market he will challenge Khalil Mack's contract. It's not about who is better, it's about the cap going up every year and who is the next guy up in Free Agency. After QB, pass rushers are the most valued players in the sport.

Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Jimmy G, etc, all make more money than Russell Wilson, not because they are better but because they were coming up as Free Agents at the most valued position after Rodgers & Wilson signed there contracts.
Then Cousins topped all of them last off-season at a crazy $28M APY fully guaranteed. The same holds true for pass rushers, the 2nd most valued position. The next guy up gets big $$$$$ that is how it works. Frank Clark is the next guy up.

If the Seahawks can sign him for under $20M APY, everyone should be relieved because he would get more on the open market.

Seattle has potentially botched this whole situation because Clark should've been signed after Danielle Hunter got his deal last summer for $15M APY. I say potentially because maybe Clark all along wanted to roll the dice, risk injury this last season, and not do an extension and try to get to Free Agency. If though Seattle balked at paying Clark $15-16M APY last summer, shame on them.

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
Fade":1y7tvkfd said:
The Colts wouldn't blink at giving him $20M+ APY.

If he hits the open market he will challenge Khalil Mack's contract. .

Indy is actually the team I think would pursue him the hardest. Some teams like to negotiate a lower trade price when they sign a franchise player, but I’d hold their feet to the fire for 2 first round picks.

I want Clark on this team and I hope they reach an agreement, but I also think he knows teams like Indianapolis would pay a massive amount for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":zbuuptn5 said:
Seattle has potentially botched this whole situation because Clark should've been signed after Danielle Hunter got his deal last summer for $15M APY. I say potentially because maybe Clark all along wanted to roll the dice, risk injury this last season, and not do an extension and try to get to Free Agency. If though Seattle balked at paying Clark $15-16M APY last summer, shame on them.

Clark's said all along that he's just fine with letting this play out, so to put it on the Hawk's for not getting it done after Hunter signed his deal is probably not the whole story.

My guess is even if we offered Clark a new deal after Hunter's, he would have said no and wanted to wait until this year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":e07kpf7r said:
Fade":e07kpf7r said:

Clark's said all along that he's just fine with letting this play out, so to put it on the Hawk's for not getting it done after Hunter signed his deal is probably not the whole story.

My guess is even if we offered Clark a new deal after Hunter's, he would have said no and wanted to wait until this year.

I think that you are preaching the 100% gospel here.

Seymour

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":298u5qat said:
Give him 17 mil for 5 and guarantee 40 mil.

Dude....serious? Mans gotta eat!

:sarcasm_off:

Atradees

Reaction score
Clark is good but he is not the franchise. In fact he can disappear against better competition. We cant afford to pay Clark at this point in the rebuild. It will derail us...... unless we find a guys as dynamic as he is to pair with him. 8 to 10 mil max

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Frank Clark is going to get a deal similar to Khalil Mack's, either just under or right at that level. If we don't pay him, someone else will pay his asking price. That is just how the league works. If we want to keep Clark we're going to have to pay to play.

Do I want to keep him? Absolutely, at that price? Eh, probably not. It's a hard decision, because he is our only viable edge rusher. I don't think he is worth Khalil Mack money even in a league that has an ever rising salary cap. Clark can be a bit of an enigma. Not the best against the run, and he tends to pull a disappearing act too often for my liking. That being said he is a pretty strong team leader. People on our team seem to stop and listen when he talks. I personally think the franchise tag is the best option, especially with the new CBA coming up. I'm sure he's thinking the same thing, the new CBA could be huge for him.