KJ WrightK Free Agent

HawkGA

Reaction score
Testing isn't necessarily the same as leaving. It can be a good way for both sides to figure out what his value is. If I had to guess, I would say he is likely gone, but he might we'll find there isn't much of a market for him. But at least this way his value would be brought down for the Hawks to sign

Jville

Reaction score
KJ will turn 30 in July. This is probably his final opportunity for another meaningful multiyear contract. It just makes sense, for everyone concerned, to find a market opinion as to the state of his health as well as his league value as a player.

I have no idea as to the state of his health. I do recall, that the last time his contract came up, many underestimated his instincts and leadership as well as the value the coaches placed on those intangibles.

So, I'm content to wait and see.

knownone

Reaction score
KJ's return will depend heavily on his market. There is a strong case to be made that he's worth 8-12 million/year, which is probably out of the Hawks price range. However, if he falls into the 4-8 range it's possible he returns.

Mick063

Reaction score
His injuries may have been a blessing in disguise.

He may have become affordable and Carroll loves him. Gushes about him.

His interception against the Cowboys showed that he can still impact the game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Mick063":1p6pp9uk said:
His injuries may have been a blessing in disguise.

He may have become affordable and Carroll loves him. Gushes about him.

His interception against the Cowboys showed that he can still impact the game.

I completey agree but think the team won't be able to match his offers. He's still a Pro Bowl quality WOLB with the ability to play both other positions in a pinch. He's a valuable player even if trending towards injury prone.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Dude killed it this last year. Was the best as his position in the entire league. He will get paid for sure top dollar whether here or somewhere else.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yeah, Bennett with his 8.5 sacks in 2017 despite being injured. Just a waste.

KJ probably leaves, but for the same reason Bennett did - increased injury risk coming with age. Not poor prior performance.

Tical21

Reaction score
Gonna be tough. We bring him back if the market is weak. 4/30, we wont do. 3/20, I think we have to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":57ofvs7w said:
KJ's return will depend heavily on his market. There is a strong case to be made that he's worth 8-12 million/year, which is probably out of the Hawks price range. However, if he falls into the 4-8 range it's possible he returns.

I don't think KJ's going to get anywhere near 8-12M, that's high for his market if he was healthy all year.

As we saw with Calitro and Kendricks, WIL LB's are easier to replace and don't command the market like middle LB's or 3-4 edge rush LB's.

Doesn't mean KJ won't have suitors, he certainly will, he's a very good LB (when healthy). But I don't think that'll be here, we have too much money to spend elsewhere, and Kendricks played VERY well.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nu66wl1u said:
knownone":nu66wl1u said:

I don't think KJ's going to get anywhere near 8-12M, that's high for his market if he was healthy all year.

As we saw with Calitro and Kendricks, WIL LB's are easier to replace and don't command the market like middle LB's or 3-4 edge rush LB's.

Doesn't mean KJ won't have suitors, he certainly will, he's a very good LB (when healthy). But I don't think that'll be here, we have too much money to spend elsewhere, and Kendricks played VERY well.
Problem is Kendricks was a one-off. You're not going to be able to sign a player of that caliber the way you did very often. Calitro was an abject failure, and he's better than Griffin. The list of FA's isn't very good. Don't really have enough picks to expect to be able to get a starter-caliber player in the draft. There just aren't any good options.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":bganr0yf said:
Sgt. Largent":bganr0yf said:
knownone":bganr0yf said:

Problem is Kendricks was a one-off. You're not going to be able to sign a player of that caliber the way you did very often. Calitro was an abject failure, and he's better than Griffin. The list of FA's isn't very good. Don't really have enough picks to expect to be able to get a starter-caliber player in the draft. There just aren't any good options.

I think it's easier to resign Kendricks (assuming he's not going to see significant jail time), then it would be to resign KJ.

I think Kendricks would re-sign here in a heartbeat, we took a chance on him and he fits in well on this defense. On the other hand, I don't think Pete and John want to even entertain a new long term deal with KJ. Too risky and too many other places on the defense to spend draft and FA cap space.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18de7o54 said:
knownone":18de7o54 said:

Thomas Davis got a 2 year 11million/year deal at 31. He was coming off 3 knee surgeries and was just 2 years removed from missing an entire season and the majority of 2 other seasons.

KJ is two years younger than Davis with a less severe injury history and a clean record in all but one season. KJ has a slightly better resume as well.

Alec Ogletree is two years younger, significantly less accomplished and signed a 4-year deal worth 11.5/year last offseason.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think we as Seahawks fans undervalue KJ. His market is 8-12 million unless something major shows up on his medicals or people are scared away by his mobility in a pass-centric league. That is why the Seahawks haven't even reached out to him to resign. They know his value in free agency will likely exceed any number they can reach.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1j0d1vhb said:
Tical21":1j0d1vhb said:
Sgt. Largent":1j0d1vhb said:
knownone":1j0d1vhb said:

I think it's easier to resign Kendricks (assuming he's not going to see significant jail time), then it would be to resign KJ.

I think Kendricks would re-sign here in a heartbeat, we took a chance on him and he fits in well on this defense. On the other hand, I don't think Pete and John want to even entertain a new long term deal with KJ. Too risky and too many other places on the defense to spend draft and FA cap space.
Kendricks doesnt get sentenced until April. Are you confident enough that he can play that you would sign him without a contingency?

chris98251

Reaction score
First you have to look at where we get Linebackers, we do not draft them with a 1st round pick, so you look at size and speed intangibles and players in the draft that fit Pete's mold and scheme not your draft sites you reference. Then you look at fringe guys that are F.A. that fit his mold also and that may be where you get overtures to offers or we trade a 6th or 7th round pick for their rights.

Coleman and McDougald are guys we brought in that were not household names that we got reasonably, that's also how we will back fill for KJ as well.

We draft unique guys in the first at the end of the round almost always, this front office feels the difference in players say from mid 20's to 50 is relatively small, unless a red flag player falls and then they have to decide if the roll the dice on them like they did Clark.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3cbptpac said:
Sgt. Largent":3cbptpac said:
Tical21":3cbptpac said:
Sgt. Largent":3cbptpac said:

Kendricks doesnt get sentenced until April. Are you confident enough that he can play that you would sign him without a contingency?

I would yes, because even if he misses games this year, we then have him on a multi-year deal at a reasonable price.

For a player who played REALLY well when he played, i think he's worth that gamble........and really it's not a gamble if we can get him for half the cost of KJ or another FA WIL LB.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I cant think of many better LB trios than Kendricks, Wagner and Wright. I hope something can be done.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cfk5ltt said:
Tical21":1cfk5ltt said:
Sgt. Largent":1cfk5ltt said:
Tical21":1cfk5ltt said:

I would yes, because even if he misses games this year, we then have him on a multi-year deal at a reasonable price.

For a player who played REALLY well when he played, i think he's worth that gamble........and really it's not a gamble if we can get him for half the cost of KJ or another FA WIL LB.
I dont think there is any chance he signs a multi-year for a big discount. What if he cant play at all this year? I think the Kendricks thing died as soon as they delayed his sentencing. You have to mak other plans and re-visit him when you know what he is facing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1lbwqlo9 said:
I dont think there is any chance he signs a multi-year for a big discount. What if he cant play at all this year? I think the Kendricks thing died as soon as they delayed his sentencing. You have to mak other plans and re-visit him when you know what he is facing.

I doubt we're going to be big players in the first big wave of free agency in March, so waiting until April to see what Kendrick's sentence looks like isn't a big deal.........or even having a tentative deal in place before then dependent upon the sentence also would work.

My point is I still think he's a viable option going forward, because we're not going to re-sign KJ. Someone's going to offer him a big contract, and it won't be us.