Wilson on track for HOF?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Given today's big sporting event doesn't really matter and given the Hall of Fame announcements don't really matter, nor do almost any of the league awards.

But leave it to radio talking heads to try to bring up a topic that might be interesting to a broader swatch of sports fans. Today, while driving to get an oil change (for the car, not for me), some talking heads (don't know who, but pretty sure it was ESPN Radio) were talking about QBs and athe HOF. They listed 4 locks, 4 probables, and then 4 "on track" (or something like that, I might have the phrasing a bit off).

The locks were pretty obvious: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rothlisberger.
The probables I thought were a bit more curious. I don't remember all the people on the list . . . Manning, Rivers, and Matt Ryan. Pretty sure there was another one but I can't remember it at the moment. Maybe there were only three.
The "on track" were Cam Newton, Russ, Mahomes, and Luck.

I will say I was a bit shocked. I think it is way to early to say Mahomes is "on track" but really only because I think saying somebody is HOF bound after one season is crazy. Similarly, Luck has had too much of an injury bug to say he's on the path. And I admit I will be shocked if Newton makes it to the Hall of Fame.

So I thought there was certainly one player in that group who sticks out above the others in that group.

But even the "probable" list seems off. I think Manning will get in because having two Super Bowl rings is gonna do it for him. He probably won't be first ballot, but he'll get in. But Rivers and Ryan? Really? I'm not sure if Wilson's resume, if he were to retire today, would get him in the HOF, but I'd still put him ahead of Rivers and Ryan.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Are you talking Eli or Peyton? Eli might be iffy. Peyton is a lock with two SB wins, a SB MVP, 7x first team All Pro, 3x second team All Pro, 14 Pro Bowls and 5x MVP.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that in order to be a Hall of Famer, you have to consistently be a top 5 QB in your era. I don't see that with Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Newton, and hell I don't even think Rothlisberger is a lock, although, I think he'll eventually get in anyway. I totally agree on Mahomes, dude is one year in as a starter.

Of that group, only Ryan stands out as a guy whose resume is worthy of the hall of fame, but he's also played with one of the 3 best receivers of his generation. If he wins a Superbowl I'd put him right up there with Rothlisberger.

I think there is a legitimate argument to be made for both Luck and Wilson. Luck has carried some barren offenses and done so at an MVP level. People are hyped about Mahomes, Luck is better, and I really don't think it's close. The Colts have a ton of cap space, they should be able to surround Luck with enough talent to make them a dominant offense for the next 5 years or so. Health permitting, I think Luck will be in the HOF.

I feel the same way about Wilson. IMO, he's a better QB than Mahomes right now and for the foreseeable future. I don't think he'll be able to match Lucks production, but his enigmatic statistics and pure efficiency give him a sort of Rodgers like air. Russ just needs to keep being Russ, and he'll make it in.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Luck will never make it unless he makes a super bowl. He throws a lot of picks and I dont see him having the longevity of Marino

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Luck will make it because he seems to be a golden boy. I'm pretty sure he would have made it if he'd never played in a game (okay, slight exaggeration).

I heard somebody describe the Hall of Fame criteria once as "if you were to describe an era, would you have to include that player in the description". If the answer is yes, they are Hall worthy. If the answer is no . . . . . then no. And I just don't see how Philip Rivers or Matt Ryan get remembered as defining this era. Same with Cam. The notion they are worthy of Hall consideration just seems like major recency bias.