Wilson and Seahawks haven’t talked contract

IndyHawk

Reaction score
endzorn":139uxnp1 said:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25913964/russell-wilson-seahawks-talked-new-deal-qb

Odd that the two sides wouldn’t even begin to discuss an extension.
When you read the article,it is pushing that his contract will be over
the 33 million AR signed..I sure hope it is not.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Looks like Wilson’s agent is going to play the Franchise tag game until 2021. Once the new labor deal is in place they will look to do something long term.

Elemas

Reaction score
Love the Hawks...started following the Hawks back in '85...at the age of 12...all the way from the midwest. Lived right in the middle of Browns, Bears, Colts, and Bengals country.

Steve Largent was my guy.....anyways..

Point of my post...if this team doesn't do all it can to resign Wilson, I'll have a heart attack.

This is a guy that you DO break the bank for. As much as I loved ET snd Sherm, you can let those guys walk at the stages they were at in their careers and recover as best you can.

People have become accustomed to the Wentz's, Mahomes, Goff's....thinking you can just go grab a new QB in the draft, save some $$$ over the next few years, and be competitive.

Resigning Wilson isn't debatable....at all. It's not a matter of "if", only "when".

John63

Reaction score
Elemas":2a792zti said:
Love the Hawks...started following the Hawks back in '85...at the age of 12...all the way from the midwest. Lived right in the middle of Browns, Bears, Colts, and Bengals country.

Steve Largent was my guy.....anyways..

Point of my post...if this team doesn't do all it can to resign Wilson, I'll have a heart attack.

This is a guy that you DO break the bank for. As much as I loved ET snd Sherm, you can let those guys walk at the stages they were at in their careers and recover as best you can.

People have become accustomed to the Wentz's, Mahomes, Goff's....thinking you can just go grab a new QB in the draft, save some $$$ over the next few years, and be competitive.

Resigning Wilson isn't debatable....at all. It's not a matter of "if", only "when".

The HC already said Wilson is in their future, now it is up to them to figure out how. The fact they have not talked yet supposedly means little.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
It's funny because some Saints blog was hoping that Russ would take over after Brees retires. Given that we apparently don't utilize him enough and that we may not want to pay him.

Many teams would be happy to have him. We'd be dumb to not pay him his worth. The problem with big QB contracts aren't the lack of talents on those teams but rather, the Qbs themselves who aren't worth it at all (Carr, Stafford, Ryan, Cousins)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meh, it’s way early don’t get your knickers in a knot. This will get done. At this stage RW’s agent doesn’t know what the present franchise number is for RW’s contract year.

Lot’s of time to go yet.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Wilson is the type that's lways trying to prove something, for obvious reasons. After 2.5 years of going throw heavy with OL issues and failing at being a passing team, he's not going to get another chance to be that QB here. Don't be surprised if he wants to test the market for the right scenario that would allow him another attempt at being that QB while also getting paid.

Tical21

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1wukilso said:
Wilson is the type that's lways trying to prove something, for obvious reasons. After 2.5 years of going throw heavy with OL issues and failing at being a passing team, he's not going to get another chance to be that QB here. Don't be surprised if he wants to test the market for the right scenario that would allow him another attempt at being that QB while also getting paid.
He's at minimum three years from being able to test the market though. He signed in August last time, and I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes all the way until the August right before 2020 camp. The more guys that get signed between now and when Russ signs, the more his number goes up. He's in no hurry here. It isn't like last time where he was on a rookie deal. I'm guessing he'll let it go all the way, but wouldn't be shocked if he signs before this upcoming camp either. Either way, I would not expect anything at all until at minimum Frank Clark is dealt with. Probably upcoming FA period and draft as well. All of this is just somebody (Schefter?) making something out of nothing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not really talking about sources, although there had been some mumbling about market and money from his agent. I'm jusr talking about things along the lines of his ambitions and brand. I wouldn't rule anything out regardless of potential franchise tag type stuff in 2020.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There's really not much reason for either side to rush into talks quite yet. On Wilson's side, his value will only increase as more contracts are signed, and on the Seahawks' side, they have other priorities to get signed before dealing with Wilson right now. Once they have a better idea of where they stand further into the off season, they can then decide if they want to extend him now or wait. If they have excess cap money, they may want to use some of it to offset that high salary later, or if they are short cap room, they may want to use his extension to free up some money now and push it towards the back end of his next deal.

I wouldn't even think they'd be in discussions before the draft unless they are extremely preliminary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2qirtmo3 said:
It's funny because some Saints blog was hoping that Russ would take over after Brees retires. Given that we apparently don't utilize him enough and that we may not want to pay him.

Good to know we're not the only naive fans that think "hey why don't we just get <insert name of player 75% of teams would want>."

I'm not worried that there hasn't been contract talks, if that's even true.......because as of now the franchise tag will be lower than what Russell probably wants. Next year the tag is set to be around the 25M mark, and Rodger's new annual salary is what, 33.5M?

Fade

Reaction score
UFAs are priority 1 (Frank Clark namely). Then the draft is priority 2. Then extensions for existing players is priority 3.

Nothing is going to happen on the Wilson front until the summer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hypothetical, Wilson and the Front office have talked non officially, let him know he is in the plans but they need to build the rest of the team around him first, Clark and other pieces, he has the offense almost where we need it to protect him and make them successful, but we need the defense finished to really make a run for a few years as well as a GO to guy at WR going forward for him.

Wilson knows this also, Front office says he will get his payday and it's about how we fit the structure year to year in conjunction with the rest of the contracts. Wilson is fine with that as well so there is no push or reason to rush things as well as nothing to really say to the media.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":2yczqwxl said:
Hypothetical, Wilson and the Front office have talked non officially, let him know he is in the plans but they need to build the rest of the team around him first, Clark and other pieces, he has the offense almost where we need it to protect him and make them successful, but we need the defense finished to really make a run for a few years as well as a GO to guy at WR going forward for him.

Wilson knows this also, Front office says he will get his payday and it's about how we fit the structure year to year in conjunction with the rest of the contracts. Wilson is fine with that as well so there is no push or reason to rush things as well as nothing to really say to the media.
I don't think we have this offense anywhere near where we need it. Sweezy, and Fluker are free agents, and they have been plagued by injury, and consistency issues the last few years. They had a good run, but near the end of the season their past issues reared their ugly heads. Fluker was injured twice, and Sweezy has a degenerative condition as well as an extensive injury history in the last few years. Great stop-gaps but how much longer can we rely on them? The answer is probably not very long, if at all. Brown is a great left tackle, and the anchor of our line, but he is getting long in the tooth. He is nearing the age that Walter Jones started declining and was eventually forced to retire due to injury. How much longer can we rely on him? History says 1 - 2 more years, but who knows, sometimes players are able to play for much longer than their expiration date at a high level.

We have no long term solutions on the line other than Britt. Ifedi was passable this season, but still a liability at times. He got his run blocking down, and he still may surprise us yet, but he still has some proving to do. Our other three starters are question marks for the long haul. This is one of the reasons I despised the Penny pick. There were several really good guard choices, including one (Hernandez) that came out of the gate being one of the better guards in the NFL. He would have solidified an area that has been in flux ever since Carroll got here. What does this mean? Better running game, and more stable passing game. We have got to lock those line positions down or it will be more of the same, and we already saw a glimpse of that in the Cowboys game.

Our receivers are, eh... Baldwin and Lockett are good receivers, but they both kind of cover a similar niche. I think Baldwin is the more diverse of the two as far as positions he can play. He can play every WR position effectively. Lockett is good, but he seems best suited to be an Edelman figure. He would kill it in that role, and I think that is where he needs to be. There really is no diversity in our wide receivers corps though. Brown, and Moore have some downsides, though if we're lucky maybe Moore can be a better rounded WR next year.

If I were Wilson I'd try to get out of the Seahawks. Not very good for his legacy. He's restricted more than virtually every QB, and he's forced to play under circumstances that aren't conducive to QB success. He's already won a bowl here, and is underneath a coach that seems to view the Seahawks offense more like an accessory than anything. His one job is to not screw up. If I were in his position I'd be upset given what he has accomplished even in highly restrictive circumstances.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":6x09triz said:
chris98251":6x09triz said:

I don't think we have this offense anywhere near where we need it. Sweezy, and Fluker are free agents, and they have been plagued by injury, and consistency issues the last few years. They had a good run, but near the end of the season their past issues reared their ugly heads. Fluker was injured twice, and Sweezy has a degenerative condition as well as an extensive injury history in the last few years. Great stop-gaps but how much longer can we rely on them? The answer is probably not very long, if at all. Brown is a great left tackle, and the anchor of our line, but he is getting long in the tooth. He is nearing the age that Walter Jones started declining and was eventually forced to retire due to injury. How much longer can we rely on him? History says 1 - 2 more years, but who knows, sometimes players are able to play for much longer than their expiration date at a high level.

We have no long term solutions on the line other than Britt. Ifedi was passable this season, but still a liability at times. He got his run blocking down, and he still may surprise us yet, but he still has some proving to do. Our other three starters are question marks for the long haul. This is one of the reasons I despised the Penny pick. There were several really good guard choices, including one (Hernandez) that came out of the gate being one of the better guards in the NFL. He would have solidified an area that has been in flux ever since Carroll got here. What does this mean? Better running game, and more stable passing game. We have got to lock those line positions down or it will be more of the same, and we already saw a glimpse of that in the Cowboys game.

Our receivers are, eh... Baldwin and Lockett are good receivers, but they both kind of cover a similar niche. I think Baldwin is the more diverse of the two as far as positions he can play. He can play every WR position effectively. Lockett is good, but he seems best suited to be an Edelman figure. He would kill it in that role, and I think that is where he needs to be. There really is no diversity in our wide receivers corps though. Brown, and Moore have some downsides, though if we're lucky maybe Moore can be a better rounded WR next year.

If I were Wilson I'd try to get out of the Seahawks. Not very good for his legacy. He's restricted more than virtually every QB, and he's forced to play under circumstances that aren't conducive to QB success. He's already won a bowl here, and is underneath a coach that seems to view the Seahawks offense more like an accessory than anything. His one job is to not screw up. If I were in his position I'd be upset given what he has accomplished even in highly restrictive circumstances.

Another positive post from Spindoctor on how the Seahawks will fail miserably in some way.

They will resign Sweezy and Fluker, both were coming into the Seahawks injured last year, I don't think either was 100 percent all year. We have depth on the IR and P.S there so I am not as concerned as I was last year. I did say bring in another GO to WR as well.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Good god, this is a depressing place to read stuff.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":27mem5v8 said:
Spin Doctor":27mem5v8 said:
chris98251":27mem5v8 said:

Another positive post from Spindoctor on how the Seahawks will fail miserably in some way.

They will resign Sweezy and Fluker, both were coming into the Seahawks injured last year, I don't think either was 100 percent all year. We have depth on the IR and P.S there so I am not as concerned as I was last year. I did say bring in another GO to WR as well.
That is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. Sweezy and Fluker cannot be counted on to stay healthy. They have a history of being injured, and in Sweezy's case he has a degenerative back issue. When they got injured we couldn't move the ball, or run the ball. Our line regressed to 2017 levels when they were gone. We have GOT to find a long term solution here, we don't have one right now. Our offense at the moment is held together with duct tape, bubble gum, and a prayer. We have GOT to find some depth here as well or we'll regress. Thus far we have not done a good job doing that. This off-season will be crucial in this area, and I only hope that Carroll addresses it.

We need a wide receiver as you and I agree that can draw coverage, preferably a more physical one than the receivers we have. Lockett was good this season, but at times he seemed like he was out of his element. As a flex receiver that moves around everywhere he would be killer. Doesn't even have to be a number one, just a receiver that gives us more options, and a different skill-set. I really think that Lockett could be a Wes Welker, or Edelman character. That style of receiver is disruptive, sometimes even more so than the main target.