Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Just do a fundraiser, I will contribute a benjamin or so

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Doesn't bother me, ads are on every site

Votes: 44 34.6%

• Total voters

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking to keep this site running without asking for donations or taking the $200+monthly hit out of my pocket. I am thinking we will replace the Amazon Storefront banner but make it about 1-1.5 inches instead of .5 in and have some hopefully relevant/tasteful ads there.

What is your opinion?

Oh, and if you have potential sponsor or know someone who would pay to have their business front and center please PM me.

sdog1981

Reaction score
You gotta do what you gotta do. Please do what you must to keep the lights on. If the economic model is web ads or premium ad-free then make it happen.

sutz

Reaction score
Any chance you could do a two-tiered system, where contributing members don't see ads, and the casual users do?

Just a thought. I know a lot of sites do that, but don't know what the logistics would be for the programming.

Jville

Reaction score
So, presumably the Amazon Storefront banner is providing insufficient revenue.

I've often wondered how close the arrangement came to providing sufficient revenue. I seem to recall notification that Amazon once stopped crediting this site for member purchases for some unknown reason. After linkage/crediting was presumably restored, I don't know that every member went thru the process of going thru the Amazon Storefront banner to reestablish linkage and credit to seahawks.net.

In any case, this site must realize a self sustaining model.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jville":382kf3j9 said:

I've often wondered how close the arrangement came to providing sufficient revenue. I seem to recall notification that Amazon once stopped crediting this site for member purchases for some unknown reason. After linkage/crediting was presumably restored, I don't know that every member went thru the process of going thru the Amazon Storefront banner to reestablish linkage and credit to seahawks.net.

I haven't received a $ from Amazon.

Self sustainment is key. About to buy a Condo in Renton and my piggy bank will be drying up soon.

Jville

Reaction score
Wenhawk":25qk9nxi said:
Jville":25qk9nxi said:

I haven't received a $ from Amazon.

Self sustainment is key. About to buy a Condo in Renton and my piggy bank will be drying up soon.

Well that's a surprise for me and I would think a surprise for many other forum members. I thought purchases thru the Amazon link were providing revenue support for the forum. As wealthy as Amazon is, the forum certainly doesn't need to be carrying Amazon.

I'd be curious to hear from RockHawk and Aros about the history of the Amazon Storefront link. If a revenue arrangement with Amazon no longer exists and/or is undependable, there certainly is no justification for maintaining that banner and linkage.

This forum has had funding drives in the past to cover shortfalls. I'm not that familiar with those fund raising results. But, Aros has first hand knowledge of that history.

Clearly, the forum needs reliable revenue to cover costs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think we all want the site to be self sustaining but hope to avoid constant pop-up advertising and the annoying google interfaces which watch your every keystroke. One of the serious guestions will be the balance and how annoyed the team’s legal department might be if there is a significant advertising revenue component to the site, that might become an uncomfortable tightrope.

acer1240

Reaction score
Whatever it takes, but to be honest, I use ad blockers so would never see it anyways.

Have you explored the idea of a members only sub forum?

Maybe you could make a poll and see if all of those folks who want the pwr back would be willing to pay a small amount each month to have access.

Just thinking out loud here....

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I remember the rubber ad years ago. I kind of missed it when it left.

I think for most people it will come down to how it looks. Some sites are so consumed by ads you can't tell what's what. I have confidence you'll find a way to implement ads that let you cover your costs without ruining the site.

TreeRon

Reaction score
acer1240":2093a5tf said:
Whatever it takes, but to be honest, I use ad blockers so would never see it anyways.

Maybe you could make a poll and see if all of those folks who want the pwr back would be willing to pay a small amount each month to have access.

Ditto with the ad blocker here.

You could always threaten Bezos for more $$ vs his dick pics and see how that goes ! :sarcasm_on:

grizbob

Reaction score
sutz":78c8hea2 said:
Any chance you could do a two-tiered system, where contributing members don't see ads, and the casual users do?

Just a thought. I know a lot of sites do that, but don't know what the logistics would be for the programming.

:2thumbs:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Are you talking a single ad at the top of each page, or interspersed between each post like Delphi Forums does to non-members? Because one is live-with-able, and the other is not. OTOH, what those guys were saying about Amazon. The wife and I spend a fortune there, and we used to do the .net link but it seems to have been broken during one of the site changes in the past. Maybe re-establish that connection?

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I'm cool with it as long as it takes the load off of you and keeps the place going... And isn't excessive. No pop-ups please. Thanks for asking the community first. Good on ya. 8)

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Wait, My family and I have used the banner to purchase all our amazon things. I set up the link on my desktop that says Amazon.

You telling me all those Christmas presents and everything I bought through that link did nothing for .net?

Rainger

Reaction score
TreeRon":2yk1yxlp said:
acer1240":2yk1yxlp said:

Ditto with the ad blocker here.

You could always threaten Bezos for more $$ vs his dick pics and see how that goes ! :sarcasm_on:
I don't care unless your start attacking my ad blocker telling me I cant see anything till I disable it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bring the PWR back and make it a $3/mo subscription or something, IMO. I'd pay. :)

Do that, and then put ads on but only for guests browsing the site, not for members who are logged in; then see where you're at financially a few months later and evaluate again at that point.

BobbySwagner

Reaction score
Do whatever it takes, but I'd be more than willing to contribute. Don't know where I'd go without this forum.

mikeak

Reaction score
There is an Amazon setup required to receive funds. Has this been done / altered after ownership change?

HawkSince87

Reaction score
How many regularly contribute here? Would $1/month really break anyone’s bank? I know, I know, the *gasping* that comes with the idea of a pay for site, but honestly, a buck? Direct withdrawal on the first of every month and no one would miss it.