Bills apparently interested in Frank Clark

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/1104129399425626112[/tweet]

What would it take to pull the trigger? If they're talking their first round pick (9th overall) straight up do you bite or would it take more than that for you? I doubt they're actually going to be willing to offer what it would really take to get Frank, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe JS and PC both feel strongly that Frank's best years are ahead. It would take quite a deal to let him go.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd take #9. We could turn that into a mid first and a 2nd and save $15 mil per year. Lock up Russ and Reed then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BubbaGump

Reaction score
2 firsts is not worth it imho. Clark is just getting started and will anchor this defense for years to come. If they offer 4 first round picks ok, but that is ridiculous of course, just as the notion of trading Clark is.

endzorn

Reaction score
If teams are willing to part with two first round picks then they don’t have to negotiate with Seattle. They can negotiate and offer sheet with Clark and if Seattle chooses not to match then the Seahawks receive the next two firsts.

seabowl

Reaction score
endzorn":3purkea5 said:
If teams are willing to part with two first round picks then they don’t have to negotiate with Seattle. They can negotiate and offer sheet with Clark and if Seattle chooses not to match then the Seahawks receive the next two firsts.

Exactly. So if the report is correct it will be for less tthsn 2 first rounders. A 1 and a 3 would probably be fair considering they would have to sign him to a big contract. Not saying I would do it but there are a LOT of DE options on the market this year.
Justin Houston amongst a bunch.

I am worried though about our FO trade competency the last few years to get the best value.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
It seems in John and Pete's world everyone is open to being traded or cut given the right circumstances. Perhaps that's true of all NFL teams, but even more true here.

I would say everything is always on the table in Seattle under the right circumstances.

James in PA

Reaction score
Other “sources” are saying there is “zero truth” to this rumor. Gotta love the NFL offseason and everyone wanting to be first to break a big story. Antonio Brown to the Bills was a classic. Bennett to the Pats isn’t official yet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knownone

Reaction score
If we can’t get Frank signed before the draft, I think it’s a possibility.

From a value standpoint, trading Frank could potentially land you 4 top 100 picks in the draft. Hit on a few of them and suddenly we’re one of the most talented teams again with cap flexibility. The risk obviously being that you might not replace Franks pass rush. There is also the possibility of trading Frank, and chasing one of the free agents on the market.

None of it seems likely, but nothing would shock me coming from this front office.

HawkGA

Reaction score
But miss on them and the team is seriously set back.

I was reading article a while back about time with the potential work stoppage two seasons (or so) from now. I would say going the franchise route on Clark while awaiting an outcome on that would be good, except that it would complicate dealing with other potential free agents, like Wilson.

As for a price, I think it has to start at 2 #1s. There are just too many misses in the draft not to give yourself the room to whiff on a pick when trading a known quality.

A-Dog

Reaction score
If the Bills are willing to part with that #9 pick, and maybe even throw in their 3rd or 4th rounder, I'm in.

The #9 pick is in the area of Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary, and Ed Oliver, and is within striking distance of Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Josh Allen. We'd also take $17M+ off the books which could be used on the likes of Trey Flowers, who is rated similarly to Clark.

Would do it in a heartbeat.

Seymour

Reaction score
endzorn":3v4hr1of said:

This!
That would be a no brainer with a Dline draft this deep. Plus it makes a huge cap difference to let someone else overpay.
You don't think twice on this for 2 firsts! :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
The cost of a player's contract affects how much that contract is worth. Frank Clark is a good player but the tradeable asset in question is the contract that pays him $17.1m this year and ~$20m/yr going forwards. That's not particularly valuable and it makes no sense at all to me for the Bills to consider giving up an extremely valuable pick (#9) in exchange for it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A-Dog":28iqdnmj said:
If the Bills are willing to part with that #9 pick, and maybe even throw in their 3rd or 4th rounder, I'm in.

The #9 pick is in the area of Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary, and Ed Oliver, and is within striking distance of Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Josh Allen. We'd also take $17M+ off the books which could be used on the likes of Trey Flowers, who is rated similarly to Clark.

We need to grow our pass rush this year, not leave it where it is.

King Dog

Reaction score
Only if the Bills agree to take Pocic and Mingo too. Oh, and they have to send Haushchka back as well.

knownone

Reaction score
AgentDib":3521oqla said:
The cost of a player's contract affects how much that contract is worth. Frank Clark is a good player but the tradeable asset in question is the contract that pays him $17.1m this year and ~$20m/yr going forwards. That's not particularly valuable and it makes no sense at all to me for the Bills to consider giving up an extremely valuable pick (#9) in exchange for it.
Historically speaking that’s not true. Jared Allen, Khalil Mack, Percy Harvin, etc... all got traded for more than a 1st and signed massive contracts. Frank is probably worth the 9th pick straight up, and potentially a little more.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
A-Dog":3ce5uxne said:

Bills have 2 3's and 2 4's this year