Is Bobby Wagner a Hall of Fame LB?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
From Pete Caroll

"His first Pro Bowl selection followed Seattle's ascension to the top of the football world, making the postseason showcase in the 2014 season. The Seahawks, of course, came a yard away from winning Super Bowl XLIX that year, and while they never returned, Wagner maintained his excellence, making four more Pro Bowls and landing on the All-Pro team three times.

That run has his coach, Pete Carroll, convinced he's headed toward a gold jacket and bronze bust in Canton."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ame-resume

"In this article, nine linebackers — including Wagner — from the last two decades were discussed. If the nine were ranked based on skill and projected future success, Wagner would be fifth behind Kuechly, Urlacher, Willis and Lewis. What Wagner really needs to elevate to the next level is earn a Defensive Player of the Year award. If he wins one, then he’ll enter the conversation for Hall of Fame locks, instead of just Hall of Fame maybes."

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/06/01/seat ... nebackers/

"In a phone interview with SeattlePI from Atlanta, Kenny Easley – a Seahawks Ring of Honor member and 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee – spoke glowingly of middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, saying that his resume qualifies him to get enshrined in Canton "right now."

https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/seahaw ... 584303.php

If I had to chose one between Wilson, ET, and Wagner that would be hard, they are all so good at their position.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yes he is, no question.

Already has the bona fides to warrant it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would think so. I think the Legion of Boom is going to put more people in the HOF than people think. Going by the standard of "It's hard to describe an era and not talk about Player X," I think you simply can't leave Bobby off of such a conversation.

As an aside, I don't know any DL will make it (maybe Bennett) but I think the Safeties, Sherman, and Bobby all have good chances. Bobby being generally recognized as at least the second best at his position gives him added bona fides.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Yes he is.

He’s also firmly entrenched as one of the greatest Seahawks of all-time. He’s 28 with 5 pro bowls, 4 first team all-pros, and a Super Bowl. He could surpass Walt, Tez and Largent by the time he hangs it up.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He's easily well on his way.

The only caveat on that (i.e. well on his way and not a lock) is that the HoF is too frequently a longevity thing.

By way of comparison, in 8 seasons Patrick Willis was a 7x pro bowler and 5x 1st team all pro (1x 2nd team all pro), but his HoF case is questionable because he only played 8 seasons.

Obviously I don't think Wagner is going to retire after next year like Willis did, but he'll have to keep stacking years to really be a lock.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fc4y2rb said:

The only caveat on that (i.e. well on his way and not a lock) is that the HoF is too frequently a longevity thing.

By way of comparison, in 8 seasons Patrick Willis was a 7x pro bowler and 5x 1st team all pro (1x 2nd team all pro), but his HoF case is questionable because he only played 8 seasons.

Obviously I don't think Wagner is going to retire after next year like Willis did, but he'll have to keep stacking years to really be a lock.

You make a very good point. As there is zero doubt that Patrick Willis, or Tony Boselli for a current example, were surefire HOF caliber players every time they stepped on the field. But longevity is the silly argument currently used against Boselli and that could be applied to Willis.

Whereas a guy like Jason Witten, who has never been a top 2 TE in the league at any point in his career could end up first ballot due to the accumulation of raw counting stats and longevity. I do hope that somehow him and Gronk end up on the ballot at the same time to highlight the absurdity of the difference between true greatness and guys who played a long time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He will be in Canton without a doubt when all is said and done. No question at all.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kobebryant":yuggisst said:
Popeyejones":yuggisst said:

You make a very good point. As there is zero doubt that Patrick Willis, or Tony Boselli for a current example, were surefire HOF caliber players every time they stepped on the field. But longevity is the silly argument currently used against Boselli and that could be applied to Willis.

Whereas a guy like Jason Witten, who has never been a top 2 TE in the league at any point in his career could end up first ballot due to the accumulation of raw counting stats and longevity. I do hope that somehow him and Gronk end up on the ballot at the same time to highlight the absurdity of the difference between true greatness and guys who played a long time.

Ooh yeah. Love it. Great comparison

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner is a lock for the HOF. What is really sad though is that he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL. I really don’t get all the Keuchly love. He seems to be touted as this generations top LB. Bobby seems to have been counted behind him by all the pundits and that is criminal. Bobby has had an amazing career and should be counted as the best LB of his generation.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
BubbaGump":2twioti7 said:
Bobby Wagner is a lock for the HOF. What is really sad though is that he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL. I really don’t get all the Keuchly love. He seems to be touted as this generations top LB. Bobby seems to have been counted behind him by all the pundits and that is criminal. Bobby has had an amazing career and should be counted as the best LB of his generation.

Exactly about Keuckly. While he is a quality individual and player his name comes up more at LB than Wagner. Even on our team Wilson and Earl are bigger names than Bobby. Back here in the Midwest, not many know the name Bobby Wagner which is a shame. Wagner doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself, he just goes out and plays lights out day in and day out.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I’ve never understood the argument that Bobby isn’t as good as Keuchly because he has other great players around him. Yes, I’m sure that’s helpful from a team perspective, but from the standpoint of generating individual stats it makes it harder because the stats wealth gets spread around. The work Bobby has done has made his teammates better, and he’s been a top tackler on a team full of great D players.

quadsas

Reaction score
Is this a joke question? He's not even 30 and most people would already consider him HoF worthy. And he's better than Keuchly

John63

Reaction score
this is the easiest question in the history of questions YES!!!!!!