Shhhhh. Quiet Zone. (It's Free Agency After All)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Free agency is always such a bore for us. A friend texted me this morning..."Why nothing out of Seahawks camp?" It's true. JS/PC are rarely big players in free agency. Apparently that paradigm remains for 2019.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It sure appears that way and to me it's the right move save where the players are our own and we want to keep them.

It is interesting to note which teams during the silly season have been active and with only a few rare exceptions very few are even playoff teams. Besides at the early 'silly season' stage there are contracts that are what appear to be huge overpay situations based upon pure need and little cap consideration.

It is interesting to observe this has worked for the Patriots who are often reluctant to even challenge the FA market for their own players and who frequently trade them away for what might appear to be less than fair market value to avoid potential franchise situations and to ensure a return of some amount for departing players. This is a lesson that several teams including lately our own could choose to follow.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
jammerhawk":m3v2fi4r said:
It sure appears that way and to me it's the right move save where the players are are own and we want to keep them.

It is interesting to note which teams during the silly season have been active and with only a few rare exceptions very few are even playoff teams. Besides at the early 'silly season' stage there are contracts that are what appear to be huge overpay situations based upon pure need and little cap consideration.

Agreed. Although I wouldn't have minded landing Honey Badger...Maybe not at the price the Chiefs paid but...

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Makes sense. They're going to want to recoup something in comp picks next season, and more importantly the're going to need to penny pinch with Clark, Reed, Wagner, and Wilson all needing new deals. Even with frugality this offseason I think the chance of retaining all of those guys is slim to none, plus with their lack of picks in this year's draft they seem destined to lose more than they gain this offseason. You've already lost Coleman, and there's a good chance both their starting guards are gone, along with KJ Wright. That's quite a bit of departing talent, and you only have 4 draft picks to help offset those losses.

If I'm John Schneider, I'm seriously looking at those offers for Clark and pulling the trigger if the price is right. It might hurt in the short term, but long term you're freeing up cap space for Wagner, Reed, and Wilson, and recouping valuable draft capital in a very deep class. The alternative is likely seeing one of your best players walk away next offseason while they again get nothing in return.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't mind being quiet in the early stages of free agency. I like this time to let the market set itself a bit. A lot of these super quick signings (IMO) are overpays anyway. I'd rather concentrate on our own guys that we want to keep and prepare for round 2 of free agency when the frenzy has calmed and contracts tend to be a little more balanced.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Trrrroy":2nsgtt8f said:
If I'm John Schneider, I'm seriously looking at those offers for Clark and pulling the trigger if the price is right. It might hurt in the short term, but long term you're freeing up cap space for Wagner, Reed, and Wilson, and recouping valuable draft capital in a very deep class. The alternative is likely seeing one of your best players walk away next offseason while they again get nothing in return.

I tend to agree but boy that offer would have to be too good to turn down. What does that look like? Two firsts? Nope. A first and third? :snack:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":1717s3ex said:
I don't mind being quiet in the early stages of free agency. I like this time to let the market set itself a bit. A lot of these super quick signings (IMO) are overpays anyway. I'd rather concentrate on our own guys that we want to keep and prepare for round 2 of free agency when the frenzy has calmed and contracts tend to be a little more balanced.

Oh David, you and your common sense. Doesn't it get old for you after a while? :p :lol:

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Aros":3kb0zu61 said:
Trrrroy":3kb0zu61 said:

I tend to agree but boy that offer would have to be too good to turn down. What does that look like? Two firsts? Nope. A first and third? :snack:

Depends the slot, I suppose. I'd pull the trigger for the Bills #9. A top 10 pick or equivalent is the peak of Clark's value, IMO. He's not Khalil Mack.

Jville

Reaction score
There are always teams jumping in early and looking for leadership and players that can help bring about a needed culture change.

Seattle has their chosen leadership in place for 2019 in virtually every area. Jarran Reed, Frank Clark, Bobby Wagner and Bradley McDougald on defense. And, Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, Duane Brown and Justin Britt among others on offense.

So, it's enjoyable to wait and see the affordable Seahawk fits that free agency uncovers for Pete and John.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I used to love the offseason. Then the Seahawks got good and I realized only fans of bad teams liked the offseason.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":izjv4ctt said:
kidhawk":izjv4ctt said:

Oh David, you and your common sense. Doesn't it get old for you after a while? :p :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I still find myself seeing names on the market and wondering what it'd be like to see them playing in Seahawk Blue, but I can see the long term team building plan that John and Pete seem to covet. It's worked so far, even in the "rebuilding" year.

Of course winning does tend to take the edge off a little bit ;)

sdog1981

Reaction score
The best teams draft well and add value free agents. The Seahawks are one of those teams, yeah it sucks losing guys we all like. The Seahawks are here to win the regular season, not the preseason.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lk7ehdc said:
I used to love the offseason. Then the Seahawks got good and I realized only fans of bad teams liked the offseason.
Funny how that works out. Some folks still haven't resigned themselves to the fact that we are not getting top 10 picks every year. Now that Clark has come up, I would bet a dollar against a donut that if we pulled the trigger and got a Top 10 pick, we'd probably trade it away anyhow. :twisted:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
HawkGA":2t3mh8hv said:

When you are bragging about winning the offseason you might be a fan of a bottom tier team.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lately it's been one year band aids on players drafted high but did not live up to expectations....expect the trend to continue

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawkGA":2rqlxibf said:

Like Dan Snyder letting Nick Foles out of the division and signing a box safety for 84 million when he needs a QB?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I just remember the last time we spent big on free agency we got Zach Miller and Sidney Rice who were great Seahawks but bad contracts. We ended up cutting both and eating some dead money.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2v61tc26 said:
Lately it's been one year band aids on players drafted high but did not live up to expectations....expect the trend to continue

And when appropriate those one year band-aids get extensions (McDougald)

chris98251

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":85929m4v said:
I just remember the last time we spent big on free agency we got Zach Miller and Sidney Rice who were great Seahawks but bad contracts. We ended up cutting both and eating some dead money.

They were not cut due to performance but due to injuries, make sure you add the details, it sounds like your calling them busts when they were very good contributors till injured.