Jason Myers Signs with Seattle

jmahon316

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1nukvqit said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1105886277700849664[/tweet]

YES!!!!

Hopefully he signs a multi-year deal so we'll be set!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Should've been here last year. Oh well, I'm glad he's here now. I'll anxiously be awaiting the details to be revealed

Seymour

Reaction score
Good move but not saving money here (nor should they try!!). 4 years $15-16M I'm hearing!! :shock:

My question??? What the hell are we looking at when we let him go for $700K last year??? :roll:

Can we not evaluate without tape? Special teams (coaching) has gotten atrocious here the last few years!!

James in PA

Reaction score
Seymour":we89flnu said:
Good move but not saving money here (nor should they try!!). 4 years $15-16M I'm hearing!! :shock:

My question??? What the hell are we looking at when we let him go for $700K last year??? :roll:
I’m still all for it. One hard lesson we’ve learned in recent years: don’t try to take the cheap way out when it comes to the kicker. So many of these games go right down to the wire and are decided by a razor thin margin. It’s an undervalued position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13/seahawks-add-kicker-jason-myers/

All-Pro kicker Jason Myers announced today that he’s leaving the Jets, but he didn’t say where he’s going. Now we know: Seattle.

Dianna Russini of ESPN reports that Myers will sign with the Seahawks on a four-year contract worth a little less than $4 million a year.

Myers was 33-of-36 on field goals and 30-of-33 on extra points for the Jets last season, and he should be an upgrade in Seattle over Sebastian Janikowski, who was showing his age last season. Myers previously signed with Seattle last year, but he lost a kicking competition to Janikowski in training camp. The Seahawks clearly wish they had gone with Myers last year, and now they’re correcting that mistake.

The 27-year-old Myers had a career year with the Jets after spending three years with the Jaguars, and there’s certainly a possibility that he’ll regress in 2019. But he should help Seattle improve its disappointing special teams.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Was hoping they'd move in when i saw the iJiETS had let him go, just hope he keeps ProBowl form and justifies the money Seymour indicated. I knew John and Pete weren't asleep. Gohawks !!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Great acquisition, ridiculously poor timing by the team. The team could have kept him last year and retained him cheaper than the $ spent. :2thumbs: on the player acquisition, :177692: on the money spent and the timing. However, if he retains his form of last season we'll be happy with his contract.

As far as the ST coaching is concerned I've been kvetching about it for some time and think it is another area of the team where Pete needs to cut ties with a coach he's comfortable with, but who has been underperforming expectations for at least 2 seasons now.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Good move. Addresses a big need.

Letting him get away was a mistake, in hindsight. Glad to have him back.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":z73xygpj said:
Great acquisition, ridiculously poor timing by the team. The team could have kept him last year and retained him cheaper than the $ spent. :2thumbs: on the player acquisition, :177692: on the money spent and the timing.

As far as the ST coaching is concerned I've been kvetching about it for some time and think it is another area of the team where Pete needs to cut ties with a coach he's comfortable with, but who has been underperforming expectations for at lest 2 seasons now.

+100%!!
Been pretty bad for a few years now and this higher cost is insult to injury.
People last year were trying to pawn it off on lack of roster depth. Not buying that excuse personally.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Seahawks need a good kicker so we can be average for 45 or 59 and then win. Shame Russell or Michael can't kick field goals as well :)

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I agree. Great signing. We’re always in close games because of our style of play.

Having a very good kicker is required...IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Excellent signing. Clearly their way of admitting they messed up in the first place. Meh, he is locked up for 4 years. Finally a REAL kicker and a young one. So they should have kept him instead of Seabass, fine, gotta' let that go........

getnasty

Reaction score
I would have perfer to draft someone, much like we did at punter last year. Seems like s lot of money for a guy thats been shaky until last year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I can't say that I thought Myers was going to be a pro bowl kicker with the Jets when we released him, so I won't even try to claim that, but I was really wanting us to keep the younger kicker over Janikowski last year. SeaBass just felt like a stop gap and I was looking for someone we could get to fill the position for the long term. Financially it's a shame that we didn't hold onto him last season, but now I just hope he brings that success with him to the Seahawks.