Compensatory picks

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
As most of us know, there are no compensatory picks for the Seahawks in the 2019 draft. With the FA losses last year it seemed a bit surprising that they didn’t get any. The comp pick algorithm is a somewhat complicated one and I don’t think anyone really knows how it works outside of some computer nerd hired by the NFL working out of a windowless office in NY. At least that’s how I imagine it. Compensatory picks are essentially based on FA lost calculated using contract value vs FA signings. If a teams net losses are greater than their net gains in $ figures they probably get compensatory picks. With the losses last year, it was looking promising for picks with the losses of Graham, and both Richardson’s. Sherman wasn’t factored in because they released him. With enough FA signings of their own, they nullified and net gains for picks.

Fast forward to this offeasons FA circus and it looks like Earl might net a good pick. As far as I can tell, he is currently a top 5 signing in terms of dollar figures. Coleman also looks to be a pick generator. It’s a long off season with plenty of time to lose more FA and sign new ones. We won’t know for sure how it shakes out until months from now. It looks and feels like we might see some picks gained for 2020 but who knows with the free agent feeding frenzy. Anyone seen any way too early 2020 comp pick predictors?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Last year we went and signed a bunch of cheap free agents that cancelled out our expensive free agent losses. Thats the dumbest thing about the comp pick algorithm. If you sign the same amount or more than you lose, you get nothing, no matter how crappy the ones you sign or how good the ones you lose are.

knownone

Reaction score
If we don’t sign anyone else, we’ll get a 3rd, 4th, two 6ths, and a 7th.

JGreen79

Reaction score
knownone":3p0q8dua said:
If we don’t sign anyone else, we’ll get a 3rd, 4th, two 6ths, and a 7th.

A team can't be rewarded more than four. In the scenario above I believe the 7th would get dropped.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As others have mentioned the exact compensatory formula is not published but is well known at this point. The Hawks knew they were giving up 2019 draft picks last off-season but jumped into FA anyway to try to make last season as competitive as possible. I suspect many here prefer their strategy this season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3rq1ki86 said:
The comp pick algorithm is a somewhat complicated one and I don’t think anyone really knows how it works outside of some computer nerd hired by the NFL working out of a windowless office in NY. At least that’s how I imagine it.

It's actually not complicated at all really. The only real black box is the APY thresholds that determine which round of picks. And even that's fairly easy to forecast.

The formula itself is simple:

Picks = Lost qualified UFAs - Signed OUTSIDE qualified UFAs (resigning own qualified UFAs don't factor).

Picks are hard capped at 4 per team.
A maximum of 32 total comp picks are awarded for the entire league.

That above formula will get you at least in the ballpark. There are some ancillary rules that apply for the 7th round comp picks. But usually they don't really matter. For purposes of "do we get a comp pick?", the only rule you really need to know is the above.

A qualified UFA? What's that? Simply put, it's a player whose contract expired or was voided after the previous season. The expired part is easy to understand (Earl's contract expired, Sherman's however was terminated). Voided is a different animal (e.g. Darrelle Revis' contract with New England was structured as a series of one year contracts with a club option to void the contract after a season and prior to the start of the new league year).

Ok, so if one doesn't want to really get their nerd groove on to fully understand this, they just want to know the basics as far as it pertains to free agency. What do they need to know?

It's also fairly simple. First things first, is we'll want to look at who we lose. As we go through the UFA signing period this year, it's important to assign the true cost for adding players. This year, we've lost 6 qualified UFAs:

Thomas
Coleman
Hundley
Stephen
Davis
Sweezy.

That's 6 picks right there.

We added Myers. So now we have 5.

Seems like a lot. But remember, we have to replace all these guys. Some of those could be qualified UFAs which further reduce the number. Currently we can still add one for no pick cost (remember we can only have 4 picks max).

We already added Paxton Lynch to replace Hundley. But we still have 5 picks. Now we get into the difference between street UFA and qualified UFA. Street UFAs are players who were cut by other teams, or weren't under contract in the previous season. These guys don't factor in comp picks. And further, they can be signed at any time, even in between the end of the previous season and the beginning of the league year.

Last year we added Barkevious Mingo, Shamar Stephen, Ed Dickson, DJ Fluker and Jaron Brown as qualified UFAs. At the time, I really only liked the Mingo and Fluker moves. Because all of these guys cancelled comp picks coming back to us. When I look at UFA signings, I consider them a 'trade'. The three guys (Dickson/Brown and Stephen) to me felt like just generic depth guys. But we in essence traded a 4th round and 5th round pick for them. In addition to paying them more that every other team felt they were worth.

This year, we have a forecasted 3rd and 4th round comp pick coming back. We also have two 6s and a 7th. Every qualified UFA we sign reduces that number. So in your mind, you should be thinking that we are actually trading picks for qualfied guys we sign.

Compensatory picks are essentially based on FA lost calculated using contract value vs FA signings. If a teams net losses are greater than their net gains in $ figures they probably get compensatory picks.

Net losses for contract value lost doesn't factor at all in receiving picks. It only factors in what level of pick. And net losses in contracts still don't factor. It's done at an individual contract level. If I lose Graham for 9m and Richardson for 8m, if I add Thing1 for 3m and Thing2 for 2m, I get zero picks. Net contract values don't apply.

Fast forward to this offeasons FA circus and it looks like Earl might net a good pick. As far as I can tell, he is currently a top 5 signing in terms of dollar figures. Coleman also looks to be a pick generator. It’s a long off season with plenty of time to lose more FA and sign new ones. We won’t know for sure how it shakes out until months from now. It looks and feels like we might see some picks gained for 2020 but who knows with the free agent feeding frenzy. Anyone seen any way too early 2020 comp pick predictors?

Reference this: https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Right now, Seattle has a nice collection of comp picks. All of them expected to be before round 7. The exact round or position won't be known until next year. But forecasting of the benchmarks is pretty accurate as we've had a lot of offseasons to reverse engineer the formula now.

For a team that like to pick in volume, and likes to trade down to add day three picks, it puzzles me why comp picks were generally disregarded last year. This year being no different, we're expecting to move back a good 15-25 spots in order to add generally less picks and value than we could have had if we simply chose to not torpedo our comp picks with UFA backup options last year.

So as the UFA period progresses, we need to understand that signing qualified guys going forward is more appropriate to think of them as a 'trade and contract extension' equivalent. Every outside qualified UFA we sign is a mini version of the Percy Harvin deal.

EDIT: And, we just signed MIke Iupati. So we are now down to 4 comp picks. It appears we're going to copy the 2018 strategy to trade draft picks for low end roster depth. The question we should be asking, is Iupati considerably better than a generically available cap casualty after the draft? He's a name player. But his game is more like a garden variety journey player. Not even at Breno Giacomini's level of play when we plucked him off a practice squad.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Attyl your analysis was spot on. The key for try-it signings is to sign guys who were cut by other teams like the Rams did with Weddle. Has no effect on your comp picks.

Osprey

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":fp2ovjye said:
EDIT: And, we just signed MIke Iupati. So we are now down to 4 comp picks. It appears we're going to copy the 2018 strategy to trade draft picks for low end roster depth. The question we should be asking, is Iupati considerably better than a generically available cap casualty after the draft? He's a name player. But his game is more like a garden variety journey player. Not even at Breno Giacomini's level of play when we plucked him off a practice squad.

Pretty sure he was cut: https://thecapitalsportsreport.com/2019/02/09/cardinals-release-guard-mike-iupati/

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Osprey you are correct, he was released by AZ from a 5 year deal signed in March 2015 with the Cardinals. That deal had 1 year still to run before completing. The Cardinals are carrying $3.7 million in dead money against their cap as a result of that early release. In result he doesn't count as a FA signing in relation to the comp pick formula rules.

knownone

Reaction score
As JGreen pointed out, we can only get a maximum of 4 comp picks. So even if Iupati counts we’ll still have 4 picks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Osprey":4ji5e5ti said:
Attyla the Hawk":4ji5e5ti said:

Pretty sure he was cut: https://thecapitalsportsreport.com/2019/02/09/cardinals-release-guard-mike-iupati/

My understanding is that his restructure in 2018 made his 2019 contract voidable:

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/ ... -a-pay-cut

https://nfltraderumors.co/cardinals-g-m ... ids-today/

Which would mean that he wasn't technically cut. Rather his 2019 option was not renewed. It remains to be seen if there are other caveats that differentiate voidable contracts. His contract voided on Feb 8th. So his contract would have expired in the 2018 season as it wasn't active at the start of the new league year.

My guess is, he is a qualified UFA and will deduct from our Comp pick allotment of UFA losses.

knownone":4ji5e5ti said:
As JGreen pointed out, we can only get a maximum of 4 comp picks. So even if Iupati counts we’ll still have 4 picks.

True. But he could cancel out one of the 6th round picks. Instead of the 7th. So even if we end up with 4 picks, they may not be the better 4. Just as signing Myers cost us the better of our 7th round comps (Hundley) leaving us with Sweezy's 7th.

Also Sweezy's deal is so low, that it's very possible that his deal doesn't qualify at all. When you get down to the 7th round dudes, the threshold is more fluid.

Hopefully, Iupati doesn't qualify at all. But the language suggests that he does.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I believe Mike Iupati. counts as an UFA for cancelling of a compensatory draft pick purposes because the last year of his option in his contract with Arizona was voided by the Cardinals - rather than he was outright cut. At least that's what I read on OvertheCap, that players who have the last year of their contracts voided do count against potential comp. picks. Here's the quote from the link:

"Players who have options declined by their former teams qualify for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract. See Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined. This exception has in recent years been used far more often to protect teams’ compensatory pick potential, with the Patriots, Broncos and Ravens particularly standing out in their usage of team options."

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-m ... aft-picks/

lukerguy

Reaction score
Getting a 4th for Coleman is pretty awesome. He's a great corner and I'm sad to see him go, but 4th round comp is legit.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Having the extra picks is great until we use them on players graded two rounds later.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":f63ofhy3 said:
oldhawkfan":f63ofhy3 said:
The comp pick algorithm is a somewhat complicated one and I don’t think anyone really knows how it works outside of some computer nerd hired by the NFL working out of a windowless office in NY. At least that’s how I imagine it.

It's actually not complicated at all really.

Rest of it TL;DR

HawkGA

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":155uqmj6 said:
I believe Mike Iupati. counts as an UFA for cancelling of a compensatory draft pick purposes because the last year of his option in his contract with Arizona was voided by the Cardinals - rather than he was outright cut. At least that's what I read on OvertheCap, that players who have the last year of their contracts voided do count against potential comp. picks. Here's the quote from the link:

"Players who have options declined by their former teams qualify for the compensatory formula, even though the team had a method to keep them under contract. See Donte Stallworth in 2009, who qualified in favor of New England despite having an option on his contract declined. This exception has in recent years been used far more often to protect teams’ compensatory pick potential, with the Patriots, Broncos and Ravens particularly standing out in their usage of team options."

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-m ... aft-picks/

Well that seems like a strange rule.

edogg23

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing this mentioned but if you wait long enough to sign players there is a point in which they no longer count against cancelling comp picks. So if they are a player that no other teams are really interested in signing anyways you are better off waiting to sign them if you have comp picks coming.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
edogg23":109jnz7i said:
I don't recall seeing this mentioned but if you wait long enough to sign players there is a point in which they no longer count against cancelling comp picks. So if they are a player that no other teams are really interested in signing anyways you are better off waiting to sign them if you have comp picks coming.

Used to be the June 1 tender. That's been replaced by early may tender (8 weeks after start of the league year -- May 8th). If you sign an untendered UFA on May 9th or later they aren't considered a qualifying UFA.

Often times, you'll see teams (like Seattle) bringing in players at or around the middle of the UFA period. Often times they are laying the groundwork for post June one designated UFAs. It's kind of similar to the UDFA period immediately after the draft. Teams want players, but don't want to spend a draft pick on them.

So just be aware. We'll be bringing in a lot of guys. They'll be leaving without deals. But we may see them return as post June 1 signees.