Where have we taken a step back from last year?

getnasty

Reaction score
Outside of the Nickel position if nothing changes i think we're just as good as we where last year. Of course losing Earl hurts but he didnt even play last year. You go through every position and between young players growing and injured players getting healthy we should be better on paper then last years team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Won't the answer this depend upon the play of Iupati, and whether the replacement NCB can play to the level of Coleman?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Our TE situation could be better this year, but might also be worse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3n7ngtu7 said:

They can use Fant still, with a healthier O line coming in he should be available, Dizzley may be a few weeks away and I don't expect impact play from him all year returning from injury, but I don't think we step back here but have better written for the future.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I take it the point of this post is meant to be positive as we still have most of the off-season in front of us. There are 8-10 players that will make our 53 man roster this year who are not yet on the team.

John63

Reaction score
Until we have more info we stepped back:

nickel
oline
wr
RB????

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fanbase. When expectations are lower, you weed out bandwadoners and have a better fanbase. :)

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":1kxdvlxz said:

nickel
oline
wr
RB????

OL- Has another year of continuity, and another year under Soleri

WR- Doug is healthy, David Moore is gonna see his second year of action, and Darboh cant be worse then he was last year

RB- Can't see us going backwards there

Te- Disselys coming back and Dickson is healthy

Nickel- only postion that i cant say we'll be better, but King played Kelce really well when ask last year

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ctgplfje said:

Interesting thought -- you had a season ending injury and a starter who was on PUP half the year.

I'm not sure why it would be any worse. If anything you hope Vannett can take a big jump in year four.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
getnasty":1qm32nmv said:
John63":1qm32nmv said:

nickel
oline
wr
RB????

WR- Doug is healthy, David Moore is gonna see his second year of action, and Darboh cant be worse then he was last year

Nickel- only postion that i cant say we'll be better, but King played Kelce really well when ask last year

The OL will come down to health. You have a stud in Brown some okay guys in Ifedi and Britt. The guard position will come down to health.

WR it's hard to say. Is Moore going to get better or did the league figure him out? Doug will be healthy but how does he age? Darboh probably won't even make the roster.

The big concern for me is the DL. Sure it can't get worse but I think we have serious hole at the 5 tech and we need a 3rd tackle. I love Poona but I think Jefferson is more depth than a quality starter.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I really don't like our WR situation. Lockett is the only guy I have confidence in. ADB may not be healthy. Moore wasn't consistent. Really nobody else worth mentioning. There has to be 2 guys who aren't on the roster now who will be playing in September.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":2drubtt4 said:
John63":2drubtt4 said:

nickel
oline
wr
RB????

Okay let's not forget we lost one of our oline and will be replacing them, another has had injury issues so sorry it is a problem

Wr Doug had surgery this offseason it remains to be seen how he comes back, Moore disappeared the last half of the season, and Darboh is a question mark so still a concern

I did not say Te and we dont know how Dissley will return from the injury

RB we lost our #2 RB pretty simple we stepped back until we see,

Until the questions are answered we took a step back.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
HawkGA":32ebhqp6 said:
Fanbase. When expectations are lower, you weed out bandwadoners and have a better fanbase. :)
:irishdrinkers:

Seafan

Reaction score
No where. Coleman was good in coverage but was not a Seahawk tackler. He was seriously over paid which is good for the Hawks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Griffin or King replace him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Step Back from last year:
Secondary (Need a new nickel corner and some sign that Thompson can improve)

Step forward from last year:
OL (Iupati is an upgrade over Sweezy when healthy and we have more continuity)

I think every where else will be pretty much equivalent and it will come down as always to the injury bug affecting position groups and causing us to scramble as always.

Atradees

Reaction score
RB: Penny and Carson the one/two punch.

OL: Better

I think we should look at released Donald Penn.
Iupati is going to be fun to watch.
Brown and Fluker
Simmons and Jones have great potential.
We retained our sixth man on the Oline.
" according to ESPN’s Pass Block Win Rate, Ifedi and Brown are the No. 5 tackle duo in the NFL....."

WR: This is as serviceable group as we have had. What you ask them to do is catch everything; be as efficient as possible because there are not many balls. Block in the open field when possible. A star receiver would be wasted here.

Jaron Brown
Moore
Baldwin
Lockett

TE: Better

Dissley- Rumbling, bumbling stumbling! Health!
Dickson: He was good veteran addition
Vannet had a coming out party in spots last year.

QB: RW..........

Defense: Worse so far.

We got into some weird trading of defensive tackles with the Vikings. FO needs to pull their head out here and get Reed some dynamic help. Now Im concerned that Frank Clark is gonna sit out and be some health preserving me first Prima Donna. Im not convinced he is worth 18 or more million a season. Our run defense wasn't stellar. Pass rush was average.

Houston is out there; Suh is out there....not gonna happen likely.

Defensive backs. Trey Flowers and his second season.....These guys have not alot of hope without a serviceable pass rush to assist them. McDougal is a good player.

Linebackers: Kendricks, Wagner, and Wright
This should be a great group going forward.

Punter: Yay Michael!
Kicker: I hope he keeps the fire under him and gets even better. I hope he gets all those incentives. The Hawks have been just playing at the position for four years.

Summation:

I would like to see the staff address defense along the Dline. There needs to be more focus and continuity at defensive tackle and we need more free agent ends. I would be surprized if the guys we have Ford, Greene and Naz et al do anything much.

Can we run the 46 as whole with this group in more spots?

Offensively: Monster run games are fun. We need to also throw the ball. Staff needs to evaluate opponents better and play to the opposing teams weakness'. The Cowboys were beatable.

As a whole we still have some glaring weaknesses.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jaron Brown caught five touchdowns and excelled in run blocking. Could be better, but could be worse, too.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
The offensive line has taken a step back. Iupati is two years older than Sweezy and has ended the last two years on IR. He strikes me as a Mike Wahl, Robert Gallery kinda signing. He might play a handful of games but he won't play a whole season. The issue is that he and Fluker are in the same boat and their best backup Jordan Simmons is basically the C.J Procise of offensive lineman. We are gonna see a lot of players in those two guard spots this years. This is a step back

The secondary is also in a worse spot with the lose of Coleman. Also, look for Flowers to most likely have a sophomore slump. Further, teams have a year of film on Ted Thompson and will exploit him even more.

The RB position got potentially worse. It all depends on what we see from Penny. Mike Davis was a better back than him and unless Penny steps it up the one-two RB duo will be worse this year than last year.