Russ thinks he can play 10-15 more years..

hawxfreak

Reaction score
He's got the smarts to escape a lot of pressure when other guys will get sacked and he'll never lose that and has a hell of a deep ball

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":31ta1o7d said:
Also try's to avoid the Giants rumor..Doesn't sway me btw :lol:
I don't he has more than 5-6 years left myself..
once the speed is gone it's the end.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rus ... li=BBnb7Kz

How so, all it will mean when he slows is whatever team he is on will need to give him a real oline and system to play in. Not to mention it is more about smarts of when and how to move than actual speed, especially if he has a real pass blocking oline.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":1scu5vw4 said:
IndyHawk":1scu5vw4 said:

How so, all it will mean when he slows is whatever team he is on will need to give him a real oline and system to play in. Not to mention it is more about smarts of when and how to move than actual speed, especially if he has a real pass blocking oline.
Interesting..He has a system now and line but he is not the typical QB that can stay in
the pocket,he can't see so he has to move.
I just don't think anything but what he has been doing is going to work for him.
If we go by what you say..Pay for a great OL to protect an aging super expensive
QB so he can showcase himself..What team is going to do all that?It won't end
there as it will be he needs a great RB,WR,TE,K and a good D to bail him out.

kf3339

Reaction score
If RW thinks he can play that long it won't be with the Hawks. Personally I think he doesn't last 5 more years here, if that long. His style of play added on to the money he will want makes it hard to believe he is in our long term plans, especially after PC leaves the team.

I give it three more years tops and he will be traded or leave in free agency. There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job. Especially when you consider there rookie contracts and what a team can do with the extra cap room that gives them to build the team.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job."

Myth ! Every year we see these "young and talented OB's" come out only to see them arrive at mediocrity (or worse) within 2-3 years. For every Mahomes there are a half dozen Mariotas, Bortles, RG IIIs and so on and so forth. Finding a top 5 super bowl quality QB is a crap shoot and if you get one you are blessed.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Saying he only has 5-6 years left isn't in line with facts. He rarely left the pocket last year, and at worst he would have Carson Wentz or Aaron Rodgers speed in moving out of the pocket. He has the accuracy, smarts, and the arm. He'll evolve and he'll be fine

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":ihqiv78u said:
John63":ihqiv78u said:
IndyHawk":ihqiv78u said:

Interesting..He has a system now and line but he is not the typical QB that can stay in
I just don't think anything but what he has been doing is going to work for him.
If we go by what you say..Pay for a great OL to protect an aging super expensive

Interesting thoughts all you need it proof he cant see, and forget about the facts once again that over 85% if his yards and TDs come from within the pocket. You may not THINK that any other system would work, but the fact and stats shows that is not true. But once again why let the facts get in the way of a good alternate reality.

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":8hmqad90 said:
Saying he only has 5-6 years left isn't in line with facts. He rarely left the pocket last year, and at worst he would have Carson Wentz or Aaron Rodgers speed in moving out of the pocket. He has the accuracy, smarts, and the arm. He'll evolve and he'll be fine

Exactly but some here desperately need to find a way to disparage him

GeekHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":1sur1vjj said:
There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job.

Yup. Stan Gelbaugh, Rick Mirer, Tarvarus Jackson, Dan McGwier, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp, John Friesz, Glenn Foley, Brock Huard, Seneca Wallace, Trent Dilfer, and Clipboard Jesus would all agree that it's easy to find a good QB in the draft and win a Super Bowl with him.

These people have all started for the Seahawks over the years. I can't imagine an easier position to fill, just ask any armchair GM who plays fantasy football or Madden.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":24vj2jw4 said:
John63":24vj2jw4 said:
IndyHawk":24vj2jw4 said:

^ Bull dung ^
Wilson has been adjusting his play each and every year that he plays, and has upped his ante, doing a masterful job.
He keeps himself fit, both physically & mentally.
Think of it this way; he has been playing under Cable and Bevell's crap Coaching schemes, and has come out of the shit-fest, getting better & better, in fact, through it all, he's come out the other side as one of the TOP FIVE.
Let's face it, Wilson has masked a lot of shortcomings of his Coaches.
One can only imagine what he COULD have accomplished under an Offensive minded Coach like Andy Reid (see Mahomes) who has the flexibility and expertise on building an Offense around his star QB.
Put Mahome in a Darryl Bevell & Tom Cable Coached Offense, and watch him have to re-adapt, to keep from getting his butt handed to him.
It is a TEAM sport, and without ONE exception, EVERY Quarterback, all of them, get bailed out by their teammates, in EVERY single game.
Just before I retired, I worked at a quick pace with strength & stamina, that guys LESS than half my age were unable to keep up, and hell, I wasn't a fine tuned athlete in my prime like Russell Wilson and his ilk.
Year after year, & up behind some really shitty O-Lines, Wilson has had to reinvent himself and he's done that with flying colors.

Osprey

Reaction score
GeekHawk":dqdnsi0r said:
kf3339":dqdnsi0r said:
There are just too many young and talented QB's coming out of college that can do a more than adequate job.

Yup. Stan Gelbaugh, Rick Mirer, Tarvarus Jackson, Dan McGwier, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff Kemp, John Friesz, Glenn Foley, Brock Huard, Seneca Wallace, Trent Dilfer, and Clipboard Jesus would all agree that it's easy to find a good QB in the draft and win a Super Bowl with him.

These people have all started for the Seahawks over the years. I can't imagine an easier position to fill, just ask any armchair GM who plays fantasy football or Madden.

Not going all the way there, but there is validity to the argument that as college schemes have worked their way into the NFL playbook the mental burden on the QB has decreased. The result is QBs being scheme fluent earlier and a greater supply since lower football IQ athletes can still get the job done.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Osprey":256fjbz7 said:
GeekHawk":256fjbz7 said:
kf3339":256fjbz7 said:

Not going all the way there, but there is validity to the argument that as college schemes have worked their way into the NFL playbook the mental burden on the QB has decreased. The result is QBs being scheme fluent earlier and a greater supply since lower football IQ athletes can still get the job done.

Hmm, so what you're saying, is that there are a lot of "Can't Miss" Quarterbacks coming out of Colleges now?
Makes me wonder...just what the hell are some of these teams thinking by trading and signing some of the QB's around the League to high dollar contracts, when all they need to do is pick up one of these sure fire QB's in the Draft, plug him in, and voila!, become an overnight contender. :lol:

lukerguy

Reaction score
I usually find his interviews cringe worthy.. this one was especially bad.

Seafan

Reaction score
I'm really interested to see what PC/JS believes about Russ. Do they offer him a contract this year? Do they wait until late?

Do they think he's worth a long contract? The Hawks can control him affordably for 2-3 seasons without signing a long term deal.

Russ gets the same time as most QBs. To put an elite OL in front of Russ along with his projected salary would mean decimating the rest of the team. Most QBs don't need or have an elite OL. The team needed to improve the running game. They did.

Finding a franchise QB is difficult for contending teams. To get a really good one the team has to suck and get lucky.

I doubt the Hawks would trade Russ but he won't last forever. I would not be surprised if they draft a QB this season.

kf3339

Reaction score
GeekHawk":29hbs76l said:
kf3339":29hbs76l said:

Yep, a few of you completely missed what I said overall, or just wanted to look at only one aspect of my post. I clearly said that the reason a rookie QB could come in and do an adequate job was because we also would be saving over $30M in cap space that could be used in other areas to make the "team better overall". Some forget that RW was in fact a 3rd round prospect and did a good, but not great job in our two Super Bowl game years.

I think we have about 2-3 more years of PC before we bring in a new coach. No telling what that guy will, or will not want for the team and the QB position. My point was clearly that paying well north of $30M a year will hurt too many others areas of the team and that money can be better spent elsewhere. That is in fact what we did with drafting RW in the 3rd round. Okay to disagree but no need to bring up past QB's from very different era's to try and make a point about today.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":1q2x1otl said:
GeekHawk":1q2x1otl said:
kf3339":1q2x1otl said:

Yep, a few of you completely missed what I said overall, or just wanted to look at only one aspect of my post. I clearly said that the reason a rookie QB could come in and do an adequate job was because we also would be saving over $30M in cap space that could be used in other areas to make the "team better overall". Some forget that RW was in fact a 3rd round prospect and did a good, but not great job in our two Super Bowl game years.

I think we have about 2-3 more years of PC before we bring in a new coach. No telling what that guy will, or will not want for the team and the QB position. My point was clearly that paying well north of $30M a year will hurt too many others areas of the team and that money can be better spent elsewhere. That is in fact what we did with drafting RW in the 3rd round. Okay to disagree but no need to bring up past QB's from very different era's to try and make a point about today.

It's exactly the reason to disqualify your contention, look at the Browns, the Dolphins, The Bills, the Broncos, just as examples of being able to easily replace their former franchise guys, easy as falling off a log really just look at big name school that won something and draft that guy and your ready to go from what your saying.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":tg5d2lrp said:
GeekHawk":tg5d2lrp said:
kf3339":tg5d2lrp said:

There is at least two of us who see pretty much the same thing.
Seafan is also right as we could just franchise him 2 yrs after next..I think that happens
unless he is traded.So 2-3 years of Pete and RW?I could live with it but I think we will
see he is not going to be worth $40plus..
As for the TOPIC..He is not playing 10 yrs from now..That body has taken way too many
hits and the legs are going but go ahead and see what you want.