WR Jordy Nelson visiting Seahawks

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1107651073370660864[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
I'd rather go younger. I don't see WR as such a mess that we need an "experienced vet" to bring it around. We have plenty of experience. I'd look to the draft for WR help.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm interested. He started to come on strong late in the year and his skillset fits what Russ likes to do as a #3 receiver. I would be ok with it but I'm biased because I've always liked Jordy.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":2uv3c4bx said:
I'd rather go younger. I don't see WR as such a mess that we need an "experienced vet" to bring it around. We have plenty of experience. I'd look to the draft for WR help.

I wouldn't look to this draft.

This visit is probably just PCJS driving Jordy's price up.

Seymour

Reaction score
What are we looking at Nelson for? Is he an exceptional blocker?? :roll:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm guessing that we could get Jermaine Kearse for a lot less money for about the same level of production.

Then again, Nelson is a SFA and Kearse is an UFA,whose signing would affect potential comp picks in 2020. Nelson would not.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":3f9wbgwj said:
What are we looking at Nelson for? Is he an exceptional blocker?? :roll:

Maybe to catch TD passes?

Russ led the league in TD passes in 2017 with 34, and was 3rd in the league last season with 35.

As Austin already mentioned, he was coming on really strong the last 3rd of the season and that was on a dumpster fire of a team. At the very least he was sure showing some pretty strong signs that he's got something left in the tank. Certainly worth a look IMO.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":hrkqe65j said:
I'm guessing that we could get Jermaine Kearse for a lot less money for about the same level of production.

Then again, Nelson is a SFA and Kearse is an UFA,whose signing would affect potential comp picks in 2020. Nelson would not.

The comp pick point is huge plus Nelson is simply a better player. He drops fewer balls and is a better route runner. I still remember the Minnesota game where without Doug Russ had like 70 pass yards.

I would sign Nelson, cut Jarron Brown for cap savings and go from there.

Sure we arent a pass heavy team but remember how nice it was having three solid receivers when P Rich was here?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Nelson has been doing "scramble drill" stuff with Aaron Rodgers for years. He would fit the mold of a Seahawk receiver quite well.

As long as he hasn't lost his separation skills like Marshall had, then he's definitely worth a look.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm a solid meh on this.

Interesting idea by Montana that this is just doing a solid for Nelson to drive his price up a little more.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sutz":3jvpn14d said:

The problem with drafting a WR is that you don’t usually see production from them until at least their second year. If we are looking to upgrade the WR position with on field production this year, the draft probably isn’t the way to go. WR is just one of those positions that takes more time to acclimate to the pro game.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2xr5sl4i said:
Nelson has been doing "scramble drill" stuff with Aaron Rodgers for years. He would fit the mold of a Seahawk receiver quite well.

As long as he hasn't lost his separation skills like Marshall had, then he's definitely worth a look.

Marshall lost his hands too (drops) which is a really bad combination! Nelson still has great hands from what i remember, and that is an absolute must. And it's also why Kearse is gone.

endzorn

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3pnzoamk said:
onanygivensunday":3pnzoamk said:

The comp pick point is huge plus Nelson is simply a better player. He drops fewer balls and is a better route runner. I still remember the Minnesota game where without Doug Russ had like 70 pass yards.

Sure we arent a pass heavy team but remember how nice it was having three solid receivers when P Rich was here?
Comp picks are a non-factor with Nelson. He was cut by the Raiders so he wouldn’t factor into the equation at all. Seattle has traditionally looked for players cut by other teams specifically because they don’t factor in the comp pick formula.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
As much as I'd like a really good top 8 receiver, I have to accept that we're a running team and we're simply not going to invest that much into a WR

So that said, I think this would be a great move. Sorry, but Jermaine Kearse isn't even close to being as good. Russ made him look better than he is.

A WR tandem with Lockett, Baldwin, and Nelson would be great simply because you have three #2's, which is exactly what I wanted. The dropoff after Baldwin and Lockett was weak and not playoff material. Put Moore at the 4, cut Brown. And you have a WR group worth taking seriously. I love this potential move. Nelson is a savvy, no frills Isaac Bruce type vet that with the right QB can get it done especially when complimented with the run game, scramble drill, and read option. I thought Marshall would be that guy but I was in denial about his dropsies and aging. I'm all for it

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Per PFF this morning, Nelson had the NFL's highest rating on Post routes in 2018...

Post routes (min 7 targets) – League average wide receiver rating: 95.2

1. Jordy Nelson, Oakland Raiders – 155.8 wide receiver rating
Nelson caught eight of his nine targets on post routes in 2018 to go with 154 yards, a touchdown, and seven first downs. The veteran receiver was one of just seven qualifying offensive players to earn an elite receiving grade on the route, leading the group at 96.3.

2. Brandin Cooks, Los Angeles Rams – 143.9
3. Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers – 141.4
4. Tajae Sharpe, Tennessee Titans – 135.4
5. Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings – 118.2

mistaowen

Reaction score
Not much in the draft who could come in and be a #3 in the offense we run. Assuming this wouldn't cost much, looked like he still had some in the tank at the end of the year when the rest of his team had quit. High character guy and hard worker.
Also is a pretty solid RZ target, would definitely be an upgrade over Jaron Brown. Perfect skill set to match with Russ.

For reference he finished with 739 yards last year which is a lot more than I figured he would have googling his stats.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Criticizing potential WR additions (FA or rookie) because they wouldn't contribute that much in the way of volume is missing the mark. We're a running first team with two excellent receivers at the top of the depth chart. The idea behind bringing in new people is to add competition to the 3-5 slots for training camp so A) we end up with the strongest possible depth on September 1st and B) we have competition at the top of the roster in future years.

Right now the following five are competing for three spots:
WR Jaron Brown 3.73
WR David Moore 0.51
WR Keenan Reynolds 0.57
WR Malik Turner 0.57
WR Caleb Scott 0.50

I'm completely on board with adding a FA who would not count against comp picks like Nelson to that competition, along with a rookie or two like Antoine Wesley from Texas Tech. Let the best three win and we'll be better off for the competition.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
endzorn":354xnmhi said:
WestcoastSteve":354xnmhi said:
onanygivensunday":354xnmhi said:

Comp picks are a non-factor with Nelson. He was cut by the Raiders so he wouldn’t factor into the equation at all. Seattle has traditionally looked for players cut by other teams specifically because they don’t factor in the comp pick formula.

Re-read the post again bud

I was noting how Nelson doesn't cost picks but Kearse might

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
mistaowen":2rnvc7kx said:
Not much in the draft who could come in and be a #3 in the offense we run. Assuming this wouldn't cost much, looked like he still had some in the tank at the end of the year when the rest of his team had quit. High character guy and hard worker.
Also is a pretty solid RZ target, would definitely be an upgrade over Jaron Brown. Perfect skill set to match with Russ.

For reference he finished with 739 yards last year which is a lot more than I figured he would have googling his stats.

Bingo, we got a good year out of Brandon Stokely at the end of his career.

I would take 45 catches for 525 yards out of Nelson at 5 or so million for one year.

People love to point to our run-first identity but we still threw the ball I believe like 48% of the time last year. We don't run just to run, we run to setup play action and make big plays in the passing game.