Shaquem Griffin's Blog Post

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Very cool.

I agree with Pete. He was asked a couple weeks ago about Shaquem, and he said he was happy with his rookie year and he looked forward to Griffin getting an entire off season with less distractions to focus on football.

Parsing Pete, "good, but probably a little let down with progress in learning our system and competing for a starting LB job."

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vuzhch3 said:
Very cool.

I agree with Pete. He was asked a couple weeks ago about Shaquem, and he said he was happy with his rookie year and he looked forward to Griffin getting an entire off season with less distractions to focus on football.

Parsing Pete, "good, but probably a little let down with progress in learning our system and competing for a starting LB job."

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I fear Shaqueem will always be more of a feel-good story of positivity than a competent NFL player. Obviously, he has some extreme barriers to work through - and I commend him for that. But, he didn't show much last season when they tried him at LB. He looked overwhelmed.

The biggest problem is: I'm not so sure what position he can play. He can't shed blocks as a LB, and I don't know if he fits as a SS, either. Is he destined to just be a special teamer?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping he has a huge leap in Year 2, but I also have my concerns. Hopefully he is buckling down and moving away from the commercials and all the attention and concentrating on his play on the field.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not terribly worried about him.

Lots of players (especially day 3 prospects) take a full year to even be capable of contributing. The second year leap will provide more clarity on him going forward.

Seattle is set at LB, with 3 quality players (Kendrick, Wright and Wagner). And even if one is unavailable, they are still set at two for their base defense (nickel).

If Griffin doesn't improve enough to be a serious competitor, then LB is a generically easy position to reload. So it won't break the team either way.

We currently have a lot of players we're looking at making a move in year two:

Dissly (can he return to form after brutal injury)
Martin
Ford
Penny
Griffin

Green is probably a bit more problematic. I'm not sure if I'm even expecting a big leap in this year. Although it does seem likely that Seattle uses a higher pick on his competition. This class is loaded there and it makes sense to cull from that deep field.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3coo85i1 said:
Green is probably a bit more problematic. I'm not sure if I'm even expecting a big leap in this year. Although it does seem likely that Seattle uses a higher pick on his competition. This class is loaded there and it makes sense to cull from that deep field.
Green is still a baby at 21 years old. I think he'll get better the more he plays and the older he gets. I don't think they'll be looking for his competition in the draft as much as I think they're just looking for more pass rush help.

themunn

Reaction score
Look, I'm not saying Griffin's going to be an All-pro safety, but Kam Chancellor was picked with the 2nd pick of the 5th round, and while he played 16 games in his rookie year, he played mostly special teams and filled in here and there, finishing with just 23 tackles.
A year later he's a tackling machine at SS.

Griffin picked with the fourth pick in the fifth round, and played in all 16 games last year too.
Hey who knows where his career trajectory might take him.
Certainly it's too early to write him off anyway.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Not sure I expected much of him other than a good" special teamer, sub LB in special packages" type of player. So he's not exceeding or falling below expectations in my book. The chance of finding an all-pro 1 handed LB in the 5th round is remote.

And I'm a "wait 3 years" guy on draft picks. Only the rare guy takes off as a star in his first year (Wilson, Baldwin, Carson come to mind). I generally expect special teams red shirting for most players the first year followed by more regular playing the second year and either a bust/backup or solid starter in the 3rd year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ot1w8bz said:
I fear Shaqueem will always be more of a feel-good story of positivity than a competent NFL player. Obviously, he has some extreme barriers to work through - and I commend him for that. But, he didn't show much last season when they tried him at LB. He looked overwhelmed.

The biggest problem is: I'm not so sure what position he can play. He can't shed blocks as a LB, and I don't know if he fits as a SS, either. Is he destined to just be a special teamer?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping he has a huge leap in Year 2, but I also have my concerns. Hopefully he is buckling down and moving away from the commercials and all the attention and concentrating on his play on the field.

I don't think it's the physical side of the game that held Shaquem back last year, it was the focus/mental side.

He's got the perfect size, speed and length to play KJ's WIL position, but he had a VERY hard time grasping schemes and fits..........as was evident in the Denver game where he singlehandedly gave up a long TD because he was out of position.

That's the kind of stuff Pete hinted at. It's not the physical side.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ttsmhzd said:
FlyingGreg":1ttsmhzd said:

I don't think it's the physical side of the game that held Shaquem back last year, it was the focus/mental side.

He's got the perfect size, speed and length to play KJ's WIL position, but he had a VERY hard time grasping schemes and fits..........as was evident in the Denver game where he singlehandedly gave up a long TD because he was out of position.

Yep. They went right at him on consecutive series and he was out of place on almost every play. That one long run was something you'd expect to see in high school.

He has the physical traits to be good but it was clear the game was 2 steps ahead of him last year. At his lowest, I think he can be a solid ST contributor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":32gfg2rz said:
Sgt. Largent":32gfg2rz said:
FlyingGreg":32gfg2rz said:

Yep. They went right at him on consecutive series and he was out of place on almost every play. That one long run was something you'd expect to see in high school.

He has the physical traits to be good but it was clear the game was 2 steps ahead of him last year. At his lowest, I think he can be a solid ST contributor.

I still have faith that he can be a starter, and a good one. He just needs more time to learn.

But resigning KJ AND Kendricks isn't a good sign if you're Shaquem, it means Pete and John still have zero faith that you'll improve to the point of being trusted at WIL anytime soon.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c2mwj3gj said:
But resigning KJ AND Kendricks isn't a good sign if you're Shaquem, it means Pete and John still have zero faith that you'll improve to the point of being trusted at WIL anytime soon.

That's possible. But the case could easily be made that KJ returned at a severe discount. Kendricks likewise, with no guarantees at all. Kendricks was a player Seattle was closely linked in 2012 (both him and Wagner). My read on it was they didn't aggressively pursue either, but were still open to bringing back on the team's terms. Considering the weakness of the LB class this year, I kind of considered it a draft hedge in reverse of sorts (namely removing the need to address the position at all).

Both players were left exposed and were retained at low market levels. And both can still play at high levels. So it may have less to do with how they regard Griffin. If they really had no faith in him to be a contributor, I'd have expected them to make an aggressive push to sign at least one of them. The fact they didn't kind of leads me to think otherwise.

Still, I'd expect him to only be a factor in case one is lost to injury. The ability of both Kendricks and Wright to be able to play all three positions will make it hard for Griffin to see the field when at full strength.

sutz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":344zec4v said:
Sgt. Largent":344zec4v said:

That's possible. But the case could easily be made that KJ returned at a severe discount. Kendricks likewise, with no guarantees at all. Kendricks was a player Seattle was closely linked in 2012 (both him and Wagner). My read on it was they didn't aggressively pursue either, but were still open to bringing back on the team's terms. Considering the weakness of the LB class this year, I kind of considered it a draft hedge in reverse of sorts (namely removing the need to address the position at all).

Both players were left exposed and were retained at low market levels. And both can still play at high levels. So it may have less to do with how they regard Griffin. If they really had no faith in him to be a contributor, I'd have expected them to make an aggressive push to sign at least one of them. The fact they didn't kind of leads me to think otherwise.

Still, I'd expect him to only be a factor in case one is lost to injury. The ability of both Kendricks and Wright to be able to play all three positions will make it hard for Griffin to see the field when at full strength.
Plus, 'Queem on a rookie contract is cheap and still on the upswing of his career. He should be safe for at least one more season. If nothing else, he's a plus ST guy and a decent to avg backup.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":4nmlkl7b said:

It has everything to do with how they regard Griffin.

Why would we spend the cap space on either/both KJ and Kendricks if we thought Griffin was ready to take over the WIL spot.

Doesn't mean he won't eventually be ready to step in, but by signing both KJ and Kendricks, it means Pete and John want to make sure what happened last year doesn't happen again...........KJ going down and depending on Griffin, which failed miserably.

Now there's versatility and depth at the position.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14nkbym0 said:
Attyla the Hawk":14nkbym0 said:

It has everything to do with how they regard Griffin.

Why would we spend the cap space on either/both KJ and Kendricks if we thought Griffin was ready to take over the WIL spot.

Doesn't mean he won't eventually be ready to step in, but by signing both KJ and Kendricks, it means Pete and John want to make sure what happened last year doesn't happen again...........KJ going down and depending on Griffin, which failed miserably.

Now there's versatility and depth at the position.
You've pretty much nailed the reality of the situation.

It's certainly possible they think Griff can mature and grow into a starter in 2020, but nothing they've done this offseason would lead me to believe they think he's ready to step into the role this season.

toffee

Reaction score
Pete knows what he’s doing, so not challenging or doubting him. As a 12, sure would like to see our boy play some FS, got the speed, not sure about literal quickness, or skill set, but sure intrigues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ofdu36v said:
But they didn't really depends on Griffin, though. He only started one game, week one at Denver, and they yanked him at halftime. Calitro was the main fill in for KJ all year. I don't think Griffin played very much outside of ST last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3a2jxmpn said:
Sgt. Largent":3a2jxmpn said:
But they didn't really depends on Griffin, though. He only started one game, week one at Denver, and they yanked him at halftime. Calitro was the main fill in for KJ all year. I don't think Griffin played very much outside of ST last year.

They would be depending on Griffin if either/both KJ and Kendricks weren't resigned. That's my point.

Own The West

Reaction score
He's 230+ and runs a 4.4. He's got a place on the team. He just needs to learn the pro game.