(OPINION) Wilson won't sign an extension this year unless

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It's at least 45 plus million a year. The market for him after this season will be much higher than it is now he will not sign an extension unless he gets a massive contract the man is going to maximize his earnings. He's still young at the top of his game and ambitious I think he's going to leave Seattle in a year or two for a bigger market team like a NY. Is it even in Seattle's best interest to sign him to that kind of contract, i'm ready for change if it happens. This is all speculation on my part but one thing is clear Wilson wants to be paid and it's not in his interest to sign a deal this season only to see his contract get dwarfed in a few months. He will wait now and let this play out until he can negotiate with other teams this gives him higher earning potential and more options.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2scd82su said:
It's at least 45 plus million a year in my opinion, as I have no basis for this number other than a random number I pulled out of my head. The market for him after this season will likely be much higher than it is now so I would think he will not sign an extension unless he gets a massive contract the man is going to maximize his earnings. He's still young at the top of his game and ambitious and unless he signs a new deal I think he's going to leave Seattle in a year or two for a bigger market team like a NY. Is it even in Seattle's best interest to sign him to that kind of contract, i'm ready for change if it happens. This is all speculation on my part but one thing is clear Wilson wants to be paid and it's not in his interest to sign a deal this season only to see his contract get dwarfed in a few months. He will wait now and let this play out until he can negotiate with other teams this gives him higher earning potential and more options.

FIFY.

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1tgs7fx4 said:
It's at least 45 plus million a year. The market for him after this season will be much higher than it is now he will not sign an extension unless he gets a massive contract the man is going to maximize his earnings. He's still young at the top of his game and ambitious I think he's going to leave Seattle in a year or two for a bigger market team like a NY. Is it even in Seattle's best interest to sign him to that kind of contract, i'm ready for change if it happens. This is all speculation on my part but one thing is clear Wilson wants to be paid and it's not in his interest to sign a deal this season only to see his contract get dwarfed in a few months. He will wait now and let this play out until he can negotiate with other teams this gives him higher earning potential and more options.

Hmm seems to be the same thing I heard last time he was up for a new contract. I think I will wait till there is some factual evidence before I ASSUME things. Wilson has earned that

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Until we know what RW’s position really is this is simply spitballing with a highly negative spin.

You numbers are really out there and not anywhere close to even a large step-up from the present contracts. There I think, with respect, your number are wrong.To me the true direction of these deals is towards guaranteed $. There I suspect he and the team are a long long way apart but the number is closer to $35 million/yr than $45 million but with much of the contract guaranteed.

All in all I don’t get the purpose the thread? This is highly negative stuff. I can’t see how it supports reasoned conversation either. Unless you have something than numbers pulled from out of the air I respectfully think you view of RW’s suspected contract position to be unsupportable and indefensible.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It's really simple, Wilson and his agent are not going to touch any long term deals until they know the details of the new CBA. Wilson is going to play out this year and March 2020 he is going to sign a franchise tag and when the new CBA is in place by 2021 then he will lock in for the rest of his career.

The only way he signs a long term deal is if there is some kind of player opt-out option for a new CBA. I don't know if the NFL allows that kind of language in their contacts.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Atradees":15sgy7cr said:
To be honest...if we are just gonna run I think anyone can hand it off. Pass......

The problem is who is going to be as good as Wilson with so few pass attempts. When a QB throws the ball 50 times they can make up for a ton of mistakes. When a QB throws the ball 25 times they have to be spot on with every throw.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
sdog1981 said:
It's really simple, Wilson and his agent are not going to touch any long term deals until they know the details of the new CBA. Wilson is going to play out this year and March 2020 he is going to sign a franchise tag and when the new CBA is in place by 2021 then he will lock in for the rest of his career.

The only way he signs a long term deal is if there is some kind of player opt-out option for a new CBA. I don't know if the NFL allows that kind of language in their contacts.[/quote

Exactly that's why i threw out that monster number on the other hand Seattle can use the exclusive franchise tag at the end of the year to keep him for another season. If they don't he can negotiate with another team as i understand it and Seattle would have to match that offer. So it seems it's not as dire as i initially thought they can force him to play in Seattle via the exclusive tag but it's rarely used and would probably not go down well with Wilson and his agent.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Obviously this thread is highly negative with no substance behind it. I tend to think that an extension will happen because Pete prioritizes what Russ brings to the table - high efficiency, an amazing deep ball, and conservative throws that avoid turnovers. If we do err it will be on the side of overpaying Russ in order to get the deal done.

All that being said, the one element of truth in this thread is that agreements require multiple parties. If RW does want to wait for the new CBA and then decides to follow the Kirk Cousins route that is his option and frankly there isn't a single thing the Hawks can do about it. Worrying about that possibility now is pointless but it is a risk and preparing for risks is sensible. This would be a completely different discussion if we had a backup QB that the fan base felt better about, and if the contract discussions extend into the 2019 season our plan B at QB needs to become an increasing focus of the front office.

Atradees

Reaction score
sdog1981":v892jnjw said:
Atradees":v892jnjw said:
To be honest...if we are just gonna run I think anyone can hand it off. Pass......

The problem is who is going to be as good as Wilson with so few pass attempts. When a QB throws the ball 50 times they can make up for a ton of mistakes. When a QB throws the ball 25 times they have to be spot on with every throw.

Its tru that Wilson is the best ever in that situation: is the differnce between Paxton Lynch handing off and Wison handing off worth hamstringing the team?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm sure Russell, and all the other NFL players pretty much know what's in the CBA already. Every time I've heard about it, NFLN, Clayton, etc, they say "The new CBA is coming along nicely as both sides want to avoid a Lockout."

From that I get the impression that it's close to being done, and they are working out the fine points.

This is smart on the players part because they lost their ass in the last holdout. The owners lost a lot of money too, but relatively speaking, the players lost because many of them took out high interest loans because almost none of them can handle money.

Add to that, the CBA isn't going to be about how much starting QBs can or cannot make per year. So I don't believe that point is relevant. As to the OP's speculation? He's waaayyyyyy off base. It will be $35 million per year, 4 years (which is really 3 for a Seahawks player), $84 million guaranteed.

Why? Because Russell can go from playing for ~$23 million this year, to playing for $35 million. Hmmm An extra $15 million in my hand THIS year? Or base my future on speculation and what's in the CBA?

We're just waiting on Frank Clark's contract to get done so that they know how to go about negotiating Russell's contract.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russ, by playing hardball, could easily get over 40. Playing the franchise game at 31, 37 and 50 mil, and then signing for over 40 apy would maximize his earnings. He could ask for 40 now, and that is probably his market rate. That said, that isn't Russ. He will settle for being the highest paid NFL player, somewhere around 37 APY.

TreeRon

Reaction score
If Wilson gets $45 million the next guy (Mahomes) gets $46 million. No matter how much any top player gets ,it sets a new bar below which the next guy can not go. Ergo the highest paid X within months, even days, becomes the second highest and on and on.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Tical21":2olxqeq8 said:
Russ, by playing hardball, could easily get over 40. Playing the franchise game at 31, 37 and 50 mil, and then signing for over 40 apy would maximize his earnings. He could ask for 40 now, and that is probably his market rate. That said, that isn't Russ. He will settle for being the highest paid NFL player, somewhere around 37 APY.

Is RW a major league talent? So far I have seen no evidence (not that I am an expert).

chris98251

Reaction score
Or he could decide to play baseball, after all Trout I think just signed 12 years 430 million :) , really his agent is a baseball guy and you can bet he is speaking in Russ's ear about that kind of contract in baseball and what his value is in Football as a starter and with his accomplishments.

Contracts have to plateau at some point, were getting towards ridiculous amounts of money, when one play can demand a contract upwards to 10 percent of the franchise value.