Russell Wilson sets deadline for new contract

jmahon316

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/video/kan ... -new-deal/

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1113495379591430145[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1113497838103740416[/tweet]

What does everyone think of this? Kind of unexpected for Wilson to do. IIRC this is the 2nd Seahawk this year to start off wanting a Franchise Tag but then changing their minds within a few months.

hawksbydesign

Reaction score
Trade him for 2019 1st, 2nd, and 2020 1st round picks. Russ is good but not that “money” good. Pete’s Seahawks is a running team.

Largent80

Reaction score
Let me get this straight. We wait for decades to get our franchise QB, and now that we have him, trade him because he wants market value for his services (which MANY QB starved teams will do) because we are a running team?

Nope.

mistaowen

Reaction score
hawksbydesign":1zq00dpb said:
Trade him for 2019 1st, 2nd, and 2020 1st round picks. Russ is good but not that “money” good. Pete’s Seahawks is a running team.

Pete's Seahawks is also a team that requires an incredibly efficient QB who has perfect deep route accuracy for his explosive 'take the top off' style and can close out games in the 4th. Most winning QB in first 7 seasons and we're talking about trading him like it's Kirk Cousins.

Offseason interviews with players and coaches agree they focused way too much on 'being balanced' last year as well (specifically Cowboys playoff game) and I imagine will put Russ back in the focus of the offense. Not to say they won't try to be a top rushing team, just that it'll hopefully be closer to a 60/40 pass to run split. I think Russ is inline for another big season and deserves the money.

HawkGA

Reaction score
So much posturing. I was reading an article not too long ago (might have been Rob's blog) saying the Seahawks could set an April deadline but Wilson would just scoff at it. And then Wilson ends up being the one to set a supposed deadline. All just the silly season, as far as I'm concerned.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Considering that April 15th is only 11 days away, I'm highly skeptical that a new contract can be agreed to in principal let alone signed, sealed and delivered. Not what I want going into OTAs, mini-camp and TC.

RCATES

Reaction score
If Giants are really offering both of their 1st rounders I'd be all over that. We all know Wilson at times can be special. But he also can be downright terrible. The last few years have had many more games of the latter. He's regressed. If Seahawks hand him 35+ a year forget about returning to the SB. I'd let him and Clark both walk. Let some other team make that mistake.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":37rhozoy said:
If Giants are really offering both of their 1st rounders I'd be all over that. We all know Wilson at times can be special. But he also can be downright terrible. The last few years have had many more games of the latter. He's regressed. If Seahawks hand him 35+ a year forget about returning to the SB. I'd let him and Clark both walk. Let some other team make that mistake.

Actually we don't all "know" he can be downright terrible...you and a couple others "know" that.

Wilson can be human, but his numbers don't lie and the word terrible used to describe him are ridiculous.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":38wllp81 said:
If Giants are really offering both of their 1st rounders I'd be all over that. We all know Wilson at times can be special. But he also can be downright terrible. The last few years have had many more games of the latter.

Yes, he's gone from 1 such game per season to 2 or 3. Perspective.

RCATES

Reaction score
Seymour":2kg6bg5j said:
RCATES":2kg6bg5j said:

Actually we don't all "know" he can be downright terrible...you and a couple others "know" that.

Wilson can be human, but his numbers don't lie and the word terrible used to describe him are ridiculous.

Last 8 playoff games
144-233
15TD 10 INT
This includes last years Elite performance against Dallas 18-27 1TD

You're right numbers don't lie. I'd rather see this team pick up a rookie for low money and stack the Defense like they did when they were winning playoff games. Signing Wilson to that much money will get us 9-7, 10-6 and getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs the next 5 years. Sounds exciting.

Seymour

Reaction score
RCATES":27aovc18 said:
Seymour":27aovc18 said:
RCATES":27aovc18 said:

Last 8 playoff games
144-233
15TD 10 INT

You're right numbers don't lie. I'd rather see this team pick up a rookie for low money and stack the Defense like they did when they were winning playoff games. Signing Wilson to that much money will get us 9-7, 10-6 and getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs the next 5 years. Sounds exciting.

I know you would. It shows in every Wilson post of yours. One small glitch in your plan. It took us 36 flippin' years to find that "special rookie" that could lead this team like he did. So your plan in theory will only take another 36 years to come to fruition. :roll:

2_0_6

Reaction score
It would need to take more than two first rounder's (#6 & #17) to even think about letting him go. At the very minimum I would also want next year's first as well. Russ is far from perfect, but he is the best QB this franchise has ever seen and guys like him don't come around very often. Pay the man.

Chapow

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that this arbitrary deadline means something in the realm of very, very little to nothing and will have essentially no effect on his contract negotiations.

RCATES

Reaction score
Seymour":28cqnfl7 said:
RCATES":28cqnfl7 said:
Seymour":28cqnfl7 said:
RCATES":28cqnfl7 said:

Last 8 playoff games
144-233
15TD 10 INT

I know you would. It shows in every Wilson post of yours. One small glitch in your plan. It took us 36 flippin' years to find that "special rookie" that could lead this team like he did. So your plan in theory will only take another 36 years to come to fruition. :roll:

You're right Matt H. was terrible :roll:
If you think Wilson was the reason we won a SB I have bad news for you. I can tell you he was the reason we lost the 2nd.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I really don't see the issue here. He didn't say that if he doesn't get a contract he'll hold out did he? From what I've read it just seems that he either wants a contract by April 15th or wait until next off season. It's not really a bad thing IMO. I'd rather they get him signed sooner because as time goes by, contracts just get more and more expensive, but it's not as if he's saying he'll hold out.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
It seems like a purposeful attempt to be unreasonable. If he wanted a new deal with the Hawks he'd give his agent and the team as much time as possible to get it done. I get the sense he is hoping to get franchised. The longer he waits for a new deal the more he gets paid in today's market.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RCATES":pknj8c0l said:
Seymour":pknj8c0l said:
RCATES":pknj8c0l said:
Seymour":pknj8c0l said:

Last 8 playoff games
144-233
15TD 10 INT

You're right Matt H. was terrible :roll:
If you think Wilson was the reason we won a SB I have bad news for you. I can tell you he was the reason we lost the 2nd.

Matt could be terrible. 67.8 passer rating in a super bowl loss for example. 12 TDs and 17Ints in 2010. 17 and 17 in 2009. Keep going?

Wilson didnt lose this team the 2nd super bowl and youre ignoring his impact in the the first one.

18-25 for 205 yards and 2tds. Ran for 26. Running game was stagnant. Without Wilson the Ds efforts are forgotten. (Payton threw for 280).

Wilson threw for 247 and 2tds in 49 on 12 attempts. No need to relive the last play but if you want to blame Wilson go ahead.

Seems like languishing in distortion. But you should understand the broader nature of statistics before trying to use them.

Only thing that matters here is what he will sign for and if a team can be built around that to challenge. You say no. I say... depends.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Trrrroy":n6u5nvhg said:
It seems like a purposeful attempt to be unreasonable. If he wanted a new deal with the Hawks he'd give his agent and the team as much time as possible to get it done. I get the sense he is hoping to get franchised. The longer he waits for a new deal the more he gets paid in today's market.

Maybe he wants the distraction over?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This has been known since the end of January. But the media has to make it sound like Russ is being demanding and/or Selfish. Shocker, same thing last time. Meh, he's not doing anything out of the ordinary here.

chris98251

Reaction score
So did Wilson actually state this or did his agent, stories like this associate the player with his agent a lot and it's the agents job to set the table with this stuff before contracts?