Votes: 31 49.2%
  • $35-$39

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • $40M+

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

mistaowen

Reaction score
33-36 mill a year mostly guaranteed is my guess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":10kzn6y0 said:

This.

Rodgers got 134M/33.5 APY with 98M guaranteed.

So my guess is Russell will be the first over the 100M guaranteed/35M APY. Not sure about his demand for it to be done before the 15th, seems like weird timing.

But hopefully that means they're close, or else his agent wouldn't have put such a close date on their statement Monday.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26e6ohp9 said:
mistaowen":26e6ohp9 said:

This.

Rodgers got 134M/33.5 APY with 98M guaranteed.

So my guess is Russell will be the first over the 100M guaranteed/35M APY. Not sure about his demand for it to be done before the 15th, seems like weird timing.

But hopefully that means they're close, or else his agent wouldn't have put such a close date on their statement Monday.
This.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, feels like 34 a year w/100 mil guaranteed is about where it will be. And he's earned it. Likely this will look like a bargain in a couple years.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It won't look like a bargain, but QB salaries have gone crazy. I blame Cousins for that, not Rodgers.

Seymour

Reaction score
More than Rodgers this time I believe. 34-35M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1ap68mas said:
It won't look like a bargain, but QB salaries have gone crazy. I blame Cousins for that, not Rodgers.

All salaries have gone crazy.

But it's all relative. Salary cap goes up, salaries go up............and you know the owners are making money hand over fist, because they haven't complained about these crazy salaries for a long long time.

No one wants to pay Russell 35M a year, except Russell. But that's the price you pay to keep your top 5-10 QB.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Whatever the number winds up being, it will be worth it. Russell Wilson carries a star power impact that Is already creating a global awareness of the Seahawks brand. If you think that won’t weigh in you’re not seeing the big picture. Winning games is only one facet of what he will bring to whomever gives him the big money.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":1h7ffkwk said:
17 percent of the cap whatever that works out to be.

Incorrect.

That cap number will be low when he first signs. By the time Wilson's cap number is say $35M a year. The cap will be $30M dollars higher than it is now.

Just look at Rodgers

2018: 20.9
2019: 26.5
2020: 32.6
------------------
2021: 37.0

It is going to take until year 3 of Wilson's new contract until his cap number lines up with his APY.

The first couple of years it always comes in lower, if you follow these contracts.

chris98251

Reaction score
How is it incorrect when we don't know what it is yet?

And the money can come out in different ways salary, bonus etc that manipulates what that cap number for the year is.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":1agpnkdf said:

And the money can come out in different ways salary, bonus etc that manipulates what that cap number for the year is.

Cap number & APY are two different things.

chris98251":1agpnkdf said:

You're citing that Wilson will take up 17% of the salary cap, which is incorrect, or at the very least, extremely unlikely.

Look at any mega deal signed in the NFL you want structure wise.

I would recommend looking at Rodgers personally, because it will be in that ballpark, and can give a sort of baseline.

Big cap numbers at the beginning of the contract do not normally happen. because they come with a big signing bonus that is prorated over the course of the contract (up to 5 years). And are then balanced out with a low base salary early on leading to much lower cap numbers than their APY. Then it balloons up to APY levels in year 3, and year 4 & 5 it goes over the APY. Averaging out. The "A" in APY.

BUT by then the cap has gone up significantly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":34dnq6aa said:
chris98251":34dnq6aa said:

chris98251":34dnq6aa said:

You're citing that Wilson will take up 17% of the salary cap, which is incorrect, or at the very least, extremely unlikely.

I would recommend looking at Rodgers personally, because it will be in that ballpark, and can give a sort of baseline.

Big cap numbers at the beginning of the contract do not normally happen. because they come with a big signing bonus that is prorated over the course of the contract (up to 5 years). And are then balanced out with a low base salary early on leading to much lower cap numbers than their APY. Then it balloons up to APY levels in year 3, and year 4 & 5 it goes over the APY. Averaging out. The "A" in APY.

So presently that would be about 31 million a year plus the Bonus. I guess that's a impossible amount.

knownone

Reaction score
It will be 38M/Year in new money. Just under 35M/year when you factor in his current salary.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":1tl3bmz6 said:
chris98251":1tl3bmz6 said:

chris98251":1tl3bmz6 said:

I notice how you like to say BUT the cap will be higher later.
So?All positions will be higher as well leading to no real savings
and your still getting hammered by massive contracts that will
hurt no matter how you try to spin it to feel good.

Tical21

Reaction score
Franchise tag is 31, 38, 52.

What does he get on the open market? 37 now? 40 in two years?

If he were to try to change the game, the conversation starts somewhere around 40 APY. Here's to hoping he will settle for being the highest paid player.

If we have any shot at signing all of Wilson, Clark, Reed and Wagner, we need at least 2, probably 3 to take less than market value.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":18mwfprl said:
Whatever the number winds up being, it will be worth it. Russell Wilson carries a star power impact that Is already creating a global awareness of the Seahawks brand. If you think that won’t weigh in you’re not seeing the big picture. Winning games is only one facet of what he will bring to whomever gives him the big money.

I mean look at his contract now, he was underpaid last year. I wouldn't be surprised if there are years he's overpaid and years he's underpaid with it all balancing out in the end.

I think the reason Rodgers contract has been bad is him being so injury prone. Matt Ryan and Russ have been extremely durable