You are Russell Wilson: You Choose

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
What contract you signing?

1. "What the %*#! you talking bout??!! I'm gonna be the highest paid player!!!! Ever!!! Of all time!!! Gimme my money!!!! King Kong ain't got $&#! on me!!!!!!"

2. Mid tier. Reasonable. Brady esque deal because I can still make money with endorsements. "I want to have a complete team!!! Please build me a team!!!"

Go ahead, you make the decision, whatever you want.

What say you DOT NET, brethren!!!!

Can't wait to see these responses!!!!

John63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2c15fct5 said:

1. "What the %*#! you talking bout??!! I'm gonna be the highest paid player!!!! Ever!!! Of all time!!! Gimme my money!!!! King Kong ain't got $&#! on me!!!!!!"

2. Mid tier. Reasonable. Brady esque deal because I can still make money with endorsements. "I want to have a complete team!!! Please build me a team!!!"

Yeah except there is a middle ground, which you did not include of course.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
John63":31d7iuq9 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":31d7iuq9 said:

The second was the middle ground. Duhhhhh!!! Jk.

John63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":31bdjc4n said:
John63":31bdjc4n said:
TheLegendOfBoom":31bdjc4n said:

Not even close Brady when he was in his 7th season did not take a team friendly deal anyplace close to what he does now. In addition you are saying our choices are either take the most ever or take 1.2 mil more than you are making now.

Brady cap hit in 2019 is 27
Wilsons 25.3

There is a lot in between the 34mil to make the most and 27mil being what Brady is at and that is based on cap hit.

Now if we look at avg per year Brady is at 21mil and he is a UFA 2020.
Wilson was at 21.9 a year and a UFA 2020

So you think Wilson should actually take less, That is what option 2 is

So in actual avg per year there is a huge difference in the 34 mi lit would take to be #1 and the 21 mil Brady is getting and who knows what he gets next year.

So the options should be

1 the most ever

2. 28-33 mil just below Rodgers

3. Huge hometown discount of Brady money of 21mil.

Right now Wilson is 11th in avg per year and 16th in guaranteed money

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
John63":1ug164hq said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1ug164hq said:
John63":1ug164hq said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1ug164hq said:

Not even close Brady when he was in his 7th season did not take a team friendly deal anyplace close to what he does now. In addition you are saying our choices are either take the most ever or take 1.2 mil more than you are making now.

Wilsons 25.3

There is a lot in between the 34mil to make the most and 27mil being what Brady is at and that is based on cap hit.

So in actual avg per year there is a huge difference in the 34 mi lit would take to be #1 and the 21 mil Brady is getting and who knows what he gets next year.

So the options should be

1 the most ever

I did not say Brady took a team friendly deal in his 7th season.

This is the NOW part in 2019.

Brady's deal now is team friendly. Wilson can do the same but we'll see.

And if I had to choose, if I were Wilson, I'd sign the highest paid contract ever!

Not because I want to necessarily be the highest paid ever, that's just icing on the cake, but even more so, with a team friendly deal, I don't think Carroll can replicate past success without an elite run game and an elite defense. And currently is struggling to rebuild "his" defense.

erik2690

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3hgtoeou said:

You take the money you can get. It's real and tangible, the wins are completely hypothetical and can be derailed by other peoples injuries and decisions. Like yes it makes complete sense that the Seahawks having 10million more in cap space would increase their winning likelihood by some non-zero %, but is it a huge %? I don't think anyone could give a good quantification on that and again it's totally reliant on the FO using that extra money well and tons of other variables like injury. If the question was super binary like:you take 35 per year and lose or take 25 and win a SB for sure, then that would be a totally different equation. The reality is you take the money and maybe have a couple less good teammates and have a harder time winning or don't and maybe have those teammates and maybe have a slightly easier time winning but not at all guaranteed. Again the main point, the money is real, the wins are hypothetical.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is Wilson's cash in point in his career, he would not be a smart businessman to do otherwise, next contract can be the team friendly one.

John63

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2kull0fy said:
John63":2kull0fy said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2kull0fy said:
John63":2kull0fy said:

Wilsons 25.3

So the options should be

1 the most ever

I did not say Brady took a team friendly deal in his 7th season.

This is the NOW part in 2019.

Brady's deal now is team friendly. Wilson can do the same but we'll see.

And if I had to choose, if I were Wilson, I'd sign the highest paid contract ever!

Not because I want to necessarily be the highest paid ever, that's just icing on the cake, but even more so, with a team friendly deal, I don't think Carroll can replicate past success without an elite run game and an elite defense. And currently is struggling to rebuild "his" defense.

Okay since you obviously do not get there is a 3rd option, I will help you

Option 3 just below what Rodgers got.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":ec25rmnd said:
This is Wilson's cash in point in his career, he would not be a smart businessman to do otherwise, next contract can be the team friendly one.
This.

The NFL is a rough business, Russell Wilson's career could be finished tomorrow due to a random injury. He needs to operate under the assumption that this could be his last contract, as does every NFL player. The only reason Brady was able to get away with taking a huge pay cut, is the fact that his wife is extremely wealthy. Brady also had about 8 years of being near the top of the NFL pay scale on top of that. During those 8 years he was at least top 5 in pay, sometimes he was the highest paid player in the NFL. It's only been since about 2013 since he started taking those pay cuts, and doing numerous contract restructures. This season he is once again going to be one of the highest paid players.

Wilson owes it to himself to take what he can get, just as Brady did back in the day. People see the discounted rates that he has given lately, but forget that once upon a time he was consistently one of the highest paid players in the NFL. Really Tom Brady's discounts have only been going on for five years, and it is ending this season.

Tical21

Reaction score
This isn't the question. He's going to be the highest paid player ever. Question is, is he okay with just making more than Aaron Rodgers, or does he want to kind of follow more of the Kirk Cousins mold and maximize his earning.

If he plays hardball, the franchise tags are 32,37, 52 million over the next three years. You can probably take away the 52 million because it's fairly unlikely it would ever be a reasonable option. But, if he plays those next two years on tags, he'll be in line for a 40+ APY contract after that. Maybe even more, depending on what happens with the CBA. So, let's say 31, 37, then 40 for 4 years. This is a pretty reasonable scenario, no? Even possibly a little conservative, since he could probably get more on the open market.

228 over 6 years. That's 38 APY. So why is he going to sign now for 34 APY?

He might. He just might, because he's Russell Wilson, he likes it here, he's beloved, it still makes him the highest paid ever, etc. He might agree to do that. But in doing so, he'd be leaving a pretty significant amount of money on the table. There are some that believe the conversation starts at 40 APY. I hope that isn't the case. But if you're thinking he's going to do this team friendly thing, take like 31 APY or whatever, I don't think that is very realistic.

Seymour

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3hi79pv0 said:
John63":3hi79pv0 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3hi79pv0 said:

No it's not! Brady type deal only happens to one cheating team! :177692:

Middle ground is fair market value without taking the team for every last cent possible. Middle ground is $35M and likely where he ends up IMO.

Osprey

Reaction score
Does option 2 include a separate revenue stream outside the cap? :stirthepot:
Cheetahs don't even bother to hide it, but how hard would it be for Vulcan to slide money to Ciara for appearances or endorsements? Managing Director of the Museum of Pop Culture?

Seriously though, I'm in the camp of a contract that will be billed as highest of all time with a full guarantee for the 'real' playing years and a voidable tagged on to inflate the perceived value. Assuming the APY will have to be 36-38 which may in fact be low, but offset by the value of huge upfront dollars.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The answer is pretty simple, I take as much money as I can get. If Seattle is willing to cough up 34 million then I take that, if they come in fairly close then I consider taking that as well. If they want me on the cheap, I test free agency. This is a business, and it works both ways. If he were to ask for more than market value, I think the Seahawks would balk at that. It goes both ways really. What we need to remember is no matter what deal is signed, the price tag for top tier quarterbacks will continue to rise. Whatever deal he signs this year, or next, it will look reasonable or even cheap 5 years down the road.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1yfze5ig said:
The answer is pretty simple, I take as much money as I can get. If Seattle is willing to cough up 34 million then I take that, if they come in fairly close then I consider taking that as well. If they want me on the cheap, I test free agency. This is a business, and it works both ways. If he were to ask for more than market value, I think the Seahawks would balk at that. It goes both ways really. What we need to remember is no matter what deal is signed, the price tag for top tier quarterbacks will continue to rise. Whatever deal he signs this year, or next, it will look reasonable or even cheap 5 years down the road.

Completely agree. Couldn't have said it better.

chris98251

Reaction score
You also have to remember he was a 3rd round pick and we got a bargain basement deal for a elite QB for a few years, you can bet that has not been forgotten as well. He signed a friendly deal the last time that did not break the bank and has many accolades since and records. He earned a payday I would think in his eyes and Agent, nice guys are great and he appears to be, but they also typically don't end up Rich and prosperous doing a favor for everyone on a friendly deal.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wilson's job is not to manage the Seahawks' cap for them.

That's the job of the team, and they have the freedom to do whatever they want in their doing of that job.

In business as in life, you should't be trying to do other people's jobs for them.

Tical21

Reaction score
Russell doesn't even pick up the phone at 34 mil per. He makes far more than that by doing nothing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Every player wants to hear "The Highest Paid Player in NFL History."

Pay him an amount that has that statement being yelled from the roofs of every building.

He is IRREPLACABLE! He's responsible for almost every bit of scoring we've done. He's won countless games in the 4th quarter, that 99% of QBs would have choked on.

Winning is everything. Everything else is secondary.

People are getting worked up about Russell setting a dealine, but I have zero problem with that.

Setting a deadline allows Russell to get his deal over and done with, while looking like he's in control.

Answer this, "If Russell, out of the blue signs a new contract on April 15th," what's everyone going to think? They're going to think that he folded and gave in to the team. But by anouncing a "deadline" he gets what he wants, when he wants it, and preserves his lockerroom Rep.

"Dayam! Russell made demands, and the team fell in line! Dayam!"

Rep = $$$ from commercials etc.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2mjcqfuc said:
He is IRREPLACABLE! He's responsible for almost every bit of scoring we've done. He's won countless games in the 4th quarter, that 99% of QBs would have choked on.

It's possible to replace him, but the probability of finding that replacement and not paying market value is really low. The far more likely scenario is that you end up in QB hell, and even when you have a monster team like the Jags did you end up Bortling in. Or worse.