Earl wants to retire a Hawk

seabowl

Reaction score
So now that he got paid he is willing to forgive and forget. Sorry Earl it doesn't work like that. You were a Hawk and now you're a Raven. Enjoy Baltimore.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Surprised to hear him come and say that. Refreshing actually. In a world full of Richard Sherman’s and Antonio Browns, it’s good to see a player not trying to burn every bridge with the franchise that drafted them and became a superstar with.

Good for you ET. I’ll be rooting for him outside of the Ravens Seahawks game this year.

Jac

Reaction score
Steve2222":321a45mr said:
Surprised to hear him come and say that. Refreshing actually. In a world full of Richard Sherman’s and Antonio Browns, it’s good to see a player not trying to burn every bridge with the franchise that drafted them and became a superstar with.

Good for you ET. I’ll be rooting for him outside of the Ravens Seahawks game this year.

Yes, definitely. We'll see how this plays out over time, but this is 180 degree difference in how Sherman handled the separation. After all the acrimony and drama that colored my perception of all this, his simple statement there is like a salve.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
He just wants that ring of honor spot. Maybe he realizes the grass isnt greener in Baltimore. After the Boys snubbed him he just took the big pay day. I doubt he plays out the term of his deal there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I personally dont have an issue with it.

He'll be remembered for his time with the Seahawks. And ive always thought his major issue was the business side of the sport and how it all was handled between him, PC and JS.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's here he got his SB ring. Only makes sense he'd want to retire as a Hawk.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He made more money than the Seahawks wanted to offer him in Baltimore. don't fault him for looking to make as much as he can before he retires. Not many players or people in general accept hometown discounts to make less than they know they could elsewhere.

Major piece of the Seahawks defensive dominance, happy to hear he wants to retire one.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Not many players or people in general accept hometown discounts to make less than they know they could elsewhere."
I hear this statement often but I kinda disagree. Many people chose to live in a specific town, city, county, state and region for a variety of reasons such as family, way of life and etc. when they could make many more $$$ living in another part of the US (world).
Isn't that a home town discount?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Can we just flip him off?

Actually this is something that matters very little to me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TreeRon":21f7d1bz said:
"Not many players or people in general accept hometown discounts to make less than they know they could elsewhere."
I hear this statement often but I kinda disagree. Many people chose to live in a specific town, city, county, state and region for a variety of reasons such as family, way of life and etc. when they could make many more $$$ living in another part of the US (world).

Is he from Seattle?

I mean almost all of these NFL (any sport) players are transplants. The fact they come into a community and make the impact they do is significant enough.

I guess my point is, moving from city to city may be a bit easier for a pro athlete, so there may not be such a thing as a "home town" to give a discount to.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Without Lynch, Earl, Kam, and Sherman we don't win a SuperBowl.

Those guys along with Wagner, Bennett, and Avril were literally the lynchpins to our success.

When we started losing them, we never got back again.

Earl was a big part of what made the greatest secondary, perhaps in league history, so effective. If he hurt your feelings, well I am sorry, but it does not remove the reality that without him this team would never have been much more than a wildcard team.

He is also one of the best to play his position. One of the best centerfielders and sideline to sideline safeties ever, maybe not Ed Reed, but certainly as good as most of the rest.

We were lucky for the time we got with him. We won't be as good without him for a long time, if ever.

If that does not warrant officially recognizing his greatness ON THE FIELD (regardless of the off the field stuff that hurt the feelings of some of you) then I don't know what does.

chris98251

Reaction score
He earned it, his play on the field says enough. Off the Filed and his personality, we didn't draft him to be a role model.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":jz9i1vd2 said:
TreeRon":jz9i1vd2 said:

Is he from Seattle?

I mean almost all of these NFL (any sport) players are transplants. The fact they come into a community and make the impact they do is significant enough.

I guess my point is, moving from city to city may be a bit easier for a pro athlete, so there may not be such a thing as a "home town" to give a discount to.

I never saw the phrase "hometown discount" as a literal term, as in the player's hometown.

It just means they love the city and team they're playing on, and are willing to take less money to stay there. Tom Brady's from California and played college in Michigan, but it's crystal clear where he wants to play.

I'm glad to hear this from Earl, it means he's had time to reflect on just how great those teams were, and what the LOB means to the Hawks and the city..............I also suspect him getting the giant contract he thinks he deserved from Baltimore helped him not continue to be bitter towards how it ended here.

If he was still hanging out in the wind in free agency, I don't think he would have said this Tuesday.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Time heals all. When he does retire and gets his name in the rafters in Seattle I will wear my 29 jersey proudly at that day. Same for Sherman. Neither one handled their exits well at all, especially 25. However, they led us to our first and only (so far) Super Bowl chahttp://www.seahawks.net/posting.php? ... 8mpionship and as a Hawks megafan I will be forever grateful for that.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1bbv7z54 said:
Time heals all. When he does retire and gets his name in the rafters in Seattle I will wear my 29 jersey proudly at that day. Same for Sherman. Neither one handled their exits well at all, especially 25. However, they led us to our first and only (so far) Super Bowl chahttp://www.seahawks.net/posting.php? ... 8mpionship and as a Hawks megafan I will be forever grateful for that.

This! Until then.....the bird..to both

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8l8brlkf said:
Uncle Si":8l8brlkf said:
TreeRon":8l8brlkf said:

Is he from Seattle?

I never saw the phrase "hometown discount" as a literal term, as in the player's hometown.

It just means they love the city and team they're playing on, and are willing to take less money to stay there. Tom Brady's from California and played college in Michigan, but it's crystal clear where he wants to play.

I'm glad to hear this from Earl, it means he's had time to reflect on just how great those teams were, and what the LOB means to the Hawks and the city..............I also suspect him getting the giant contract he thinks he deserved from Baltimore helped him not continue to be bitter towards how it ended here.

If he was still hanging out in the wind in free agency, I don't think he would have said this Tuesday.

Obviously not literal... what im saying is the loyalty to area/organization may not be as much a draw as it is for non-athletes.

Fans have a way of using an athletes ambition to get paid as a stick to hit them with... like its an affront against the city. Reality is... these guys have been chasing the best opportunities across the countey since high school. It shouldnt surprise nor offend anyone when they do it as pros.

We need to stop using Tom Brady as an example for anything as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I was one of those that took a hard line with Earl and the way he exited here. That said, if he is willing to bury the hatchet and admit to his poor reaction....then I'm all in with "honoring" him here with what others see fit as his earned recognition. :2thumbs:

Latest posts