It was always supposed to be Rick Mirer's team

sdog1981

Reaction score
Just dawned on me today if Rick Mirer was supposed to be the can't miss Notre Dame QB then he would have started SuperBowl 40 and 48 with Superbowl 48 his last start as a Seahawk. I can see the NFL films now talking about the battle-hardened 41-year-old Rick Mirer willing a Seahawks team to victory. Him crying as he gets the trophy from Paul Allen, then him waving to at the unveiling of the Rick Mirer statue starting the defense of the Superbowl title in 2014. 2013 NFL draft pick Mike Glennon was the Seahawks starter for that game.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I still think of this as Rick Mirer's team.

Didn't trading him help get Big Walt? Or am I off on my years.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":3sl9e3sp said:

I thought Mirer got us Galloway. But TBH I don't really remember.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkGA":3puvzq0v said:

The Seahawks were going to pick 12th and the Bears had the 11th then swaped them around to get Springs and Walt

Traded Rick Mirer, 1997 fourth round pick (#105-Darnell Autry) to Bears for 1997 first round pick (#11-Michael Booker) on 1997-02-18

Seahawks traded 1997 first round pick (#12-Warrick Dunn), 1997 third round pick (#63-Frank Middleton) to Buccaneers for 1997 first round pick (#6-Walter Jones) on 1997-04-19

Traded 1997 first round pick (#11-Michael Booker), 1997 second round pick (#41-Byron Hanspard), 1997 third round pick (#70-O.J. Santiago), 1997 fourth round pick (#100-Henri Crockett) to Falcons for 1997 first round pick (#3-Shawn Springs), 1997 third round pick (#63-Frank Middleton) on 1997-03-28

James in PA

Reaction score
Ugh. I still have an autographed copy of that BUST’s rookie card somewhere. I fell for the hype and paid big bucks for it back in 93. That thing is not even worth a candy bar these days I’m sure. I’m not sure if he was just talking out of his ass, but I remember Parcells saying back then how he was really torn between picking Bledsoe or Mirer. We perhaps almost had Bledsoe, who looks like Tom Brady next to Mirer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually he wasn't that bad initially, but he suffered the David Carr situation and got the hell beat out of him and his time here was probably the worst for a Rookie QB with Dennis I never seen a team that didn't party and get into trouble Erickson.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He had a really good rookie year. As bad as he was, he was a good dude and had a real long career. Made a lot of coin as a backup.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He goes on tv on ND pregame shows sometimes..
He looks pretty rough like a heavy drinker.
It may be what caused his rapid downfall but we
will never know.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":1p3cz7q0 said:
Ugh. I still have an autographed copy of that BUST’s rookie card somewhere. I fell for the hype and paid big bucks for it back in 93. That thing is not even worth a candy bar these days I’m sure. I’m not sure if he was just talking out of his ass, but I remember Parcells saying back then how he was really torn between picking Bledsoe or Mirer. We perhaps almost had Bledsoe, who looks like Tom Brady next to Mirer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my den I have a bunch of autographed pictures, and I have in a row autograph pictures of Dan McGwire, Rick Mirer and Warren Moon..........all gotten by my wife from a local sports card place in subsequent order of the years they played.

Obviously Moon is cool, but the others I keep up on the wall just for laughs to show people, and in case I need a little piece of me to die inside remembering how terrible we were.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I remember a game vs. the Packers and we were in our seats literally trying to figure out WHO HE WAS THROWING TO. He was that bad.

Maulbert

Reaction score
James in PA":2ib1mkr6 said:

We missed on him, sure, but just remember: after 4 years of playing like crap, we still flipped him for a first rounder that we eventually spun into Shawn Springs. I think the Bears look dumber for that trade than we do for drafting Mirer in the first place.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1lljt9hf said:
I remember a game vs. the Packers and we were in our seats literally trying to figure out WHO HE WAS THROWING TO. He was that bad.

I think I was at that game. Didn’t he just basically toss the ball to Reggie White on one play?

12HawkFan

Reaction score
RM was the Rookie of the Year his first year and was a pretty good QB until two to three years of getting the holy crap beat out of himself made him truly shell-shocked, (for lack of a better word), and delegated him to being a career backup for what was a pretty long NFL career.

He came to the Hawks during the dumpster Behring era and was not given hardly any supporting players, it would be interesting to have seen him play behind a good line that actually protected him long enough to complete some passes.

GO HAWKS!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1q28tyi7 said:
RM was the Rookie of the Year his first year and was a pretty good QB until two to three years of getting the holy crap beat out of himself made him truly shell-shocked, (for lack of a better word), and delegated him to being a career backup for what was a pretty long NFL career.

He came to the Hawks during the dumpster Behring era and was not given hardly any supporting players, it would be interesting to have seen him play behind a good line that actually protected him long enough to complete some passes.

GO HAWKS!!!

However he could wrangle a hot dog vendor better then anyone :)

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Maulbert":25ppfc4u said:
James in PA":25ppfc4u said:

We missed on him, sure, but just remember: after 4 years of playing like crap, we still flipped him for a first rounder that we eventually spun into Shawn Springs. I think the Bears look dumber for that trade than we do for drafting Mirer in the first place.

I have to agree. When drafting you HOPE you get a good player, after three years in the NFL you kind of know who you have. The Seahawks were not well thought of during those years so I think teams figured that once a player left Seattle they could play better on their team.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Some day I endeavor to consume enough LSD to see beyond the veil, in to the Bizarro World where Rick Mirer is a 40+ year old Super Bowl champion.

Latest posts