Hidden Theme of the Draft

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks brought in guys who have potential to be strong special teamers. Everyone save for the last pick have some type of plus ST potential or it’s a skill set that is already a strength.

Skill players all have 4.4 speed or better with a couple with return ability.

Both LBers and Blair all have the flair to be future aces.

Both Collier and Haynes are big, tough dudes with extreme power and play with the hunger to punish the man in front of them into oblivion. They might figure into blocking schemes.

Wildcard is DJ Metcalf. He has the potential to be Lockette on steroids. And I would if I’m Carroll bring Lockette in as a possible short-term mentor to see if that’s something they could develop for the future.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Its a major factor, and yes Pete discussed this. Our ST coverage stunk last year!

Fade

Reaction score
The Hidden factor was how Seattle is adjusting to the basketball on grass, spread offensive systems that are taking over the NFL.

McVay runs a West Coast / Air Raid hybrid scheme.
AZ will be running an Air Raid scheme.
Shanny in SF has a TE that requires Safeties & Lbers with better cover skills. Shanny runs a Zone/ West Coast
hybrid. But I am willing to bet he is going to start stealing from the Air Raid more & more as the years go by.

The Air Raid is taking over the NFL like the West Coast system did back in the 80's & 90's.

So Pete went and got LBers & Safeties that are smaller and lighter than they usually take, but are adept at playing in space, and making tackles in the open field. They plan on playing a skinny 190lber at SS, unheard of in Pete's system previous.

Up front you need guys that can win with power to clog up the potential running lanes, and turn the pocket into a phone booth. Rather than traditional edge rushers that just get up field. (Spread offenses invite that.)

L.J. Collier makes a lot of sense once you understand this.

Pete is pretty damn smart, he knew he had to tweak his standards for positions on defense, to combat the Air Raid.

The Rams tore them up last year, I am thinking this upcoming season it is going to be a different story.

chris98251

Reaction score
To get to the Super Bowl you need to win the Division then the conference, we made adjustments to help do both.

Pete was not standing Pat.

sutz

Reaction score
Fade":33oyqqn7 said:
So Pete went and got LBers & Safeties that are smaller and lighter than they usually take, but are adept at playing in space, and making tackles in the open field. They plan on playing a skinny 190lber at SS, unheard of in Pete's system previous.
I think Pete's preference for size (bigger, longer, etc) is often overstated. Sure, he likes bigger, faster, stronger. Who doesn't? But he wants football players, and if an "undersized" guy can get the job done, Pete loves him just fine. Hell look at one of his first draft picks. Everyone thought he would pick Berry, one of the best safeties in the draft that year. Instead he took ETIII...2 inches shorter, 10 pounds lighter, and Berry played for Pete in college. Everybody wondered "What gives?"

Well ET was heart of the LoB for years, and was widely recognized as a top flight safety in his own right.

Poona Ford is another guy who is 'too short' to play DT. But he uses his lack of height to get good leverage on the taller OL-men and is developing into a good DT. Might even have a higher ceiling than most people thought.

Pete has been looking for that big WR for years. Meanwhile, our best WR has been a 5' 10" guy who weighs 190 soaking wet.

If they can play ball, Pete welcomes them with open arms. Of course, the right attitude matters, too. That tends to come out in training camp.

LTH

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ez8uvmy said:
Seahawks brought in guys who have potential to be strong special teamers. Everyone save for the last pick have some type of plus ST potential or it’s a skill set that is already a strength.

Skill players all have 4.4 speed or better with a couple with return ability.

Both LBers and Blair all have the flair to be future aces.

Both Collier and Haynes are big, tough dudes with extreme power and play with the hunger to punish the man in front of them into oblivion. They might figure into blocking schemes.

Wildcard is DJ Metcalf. He has the potential to be Lockette on steroids. And I would if I’m Carroll bring Lockette in as a possible short-term mentor to see if that’s something they could develop for the future.

I would have Angry Doug Mentor him ... Doug has a lot to teach!

LTH

evergreen

Reaction score
I don’t think Berry played at USC it was a different guy and he was pissed Pete didn’t take him. And he’s long gone too.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sutz is referring to Taylor Mays, a freak combine tester ( 6'3", 230 lbs and ran a 4.43 40) who had a ton of buzz in 2010.

sutz

Reaction score
AgentDib":375mbbqh said:
Sutz is referring to Taylor Mays, a freak combine tester ( 6'3", 230 lbs and ran a 4.43 40) who had a ton of buzz in 2010.
Yeah, my bad on that one. :oops: I knew that Pete had passed on a guy the scouts all loved that played for him. Seems like he made the right choice. :)

Interestingly the team had Taylor Mays in for a look see earlier this offseason, but nothing came of the visit. Wonder what his issues are b/c he was a physical freak.

The team has a goal to find guys who want to take other players jobs and hang onto them. Tough, physical, smack you the mouth guys. I think the earlier SPARQ is everything parameters of drafting players has been replaced by finding guys who are flat out ballers.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
chris98251":2lddliva said:
To get to the Super Bowl you need to win the Division then the conference, we made adjustments to help do both.

To win the SB you got to go into the playoffs with the at least the two seed in the conference, preferably the one, the division is irrellevant.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2aiase13 said:
chris98251":2aiase13 said:

To win the SB you got to go into the playoffs with the at least the two seed in the conference, preferably the one, the division is irrellevant.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? I guess all those teams that win as a Wild Card and not a 1 or 2 seed were just aberrations.

Rarely do you go to the playoffs in one year and win the whole thing.

You typically have to build your way a level at a time and learn how to play in the playoffs, getting a Bye and Home field advantage and a schedule break due to your wins over others is an advantage sure. But it's not what happens every year.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
chris98251":1l41q3cv said:
Lords of Scythia":1l41q3cv said:
chris98251":1l41q3cv said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? I guess all those teams that win as a Wild Card and not a 1 or 2 seed were just aberrations.

Rarely do you go to the playoffs in one year and win the whole thing.

You typically have to build your way a level at a time and learn how to play in the playoffs, getting a Bye and Home field advantage and a schedule break due to your wins over others is an advantage sure. But it's not what happens every year.
The year we won the sb we were the #1 seed, and the year we made it and lost we were the #2. Skipping that first round is MASSIVE.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3veiaknu said:
chris98251":3veiaknu said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, a bit hyperbolic, but let's go with that. Please point which teams in NFL history have won the #1 or #2 seed without winning their division.

I'll wait.

:34853_doh:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think there was a concerted effort to overhaul special teams over the past two years.

What used to always be a Pete Carroll strength was downright terrible at times in just about all phases for the past three years. So you can definitely see the attention given;

- drafting Dickson
- signing Meyers
- drafting special teams coverage standouts like Griffin, Burr Kirven, Barton, etc

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
sutz":1a3znfju said:
Lords of Scythia":1a3znfju said:
chris98251":1a3znfju said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, a bit hyperbolic, but let's go with that. Please point which teams in NFL history have won the #1 or #2 seed without winning their division.

I'll wait.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're playing for a top 2 seed, the division becomes totally irrelavent. Thank you for making my point! Obviously you win the division, but who cares about the stupid division?

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2clzlyvz said:
sutz":2clzlyvz said:
Lords of Scythia":2clzlyvz said:
chris98251":2clzlyvz said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll wait.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're playing for a top 2 seed, the division becomes totally irrelavent. Thank you for making my point! Obviously you win the division, but who cares about the stupid division?

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rams did last year...........

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
chris98251":118zdfd3 said:
Lords of Scythia":118zdfd3 said:
sutz":118zdfd3 said:
Lords of Scythia":118zdfd3 said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll wait.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rams did last year...........
what?

JGreen79

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3uq2olwj said:
The year we won the sb we were the #1 seed, and the year we made it and lost we were the #2. Skipping that first round is MASSIVE.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seattle has only been a 1 seed when playing in the Super Bowl.

2013 started a trend where only one and two seeds have played in the Super Bowl. However 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, and 2012 were all won by teams seeded three or worse. In 2003, and 2008 a three seed or worse lost the playoffs.

Sure having the one or two seed helps, but it's more about being healthy and playing good football at the right time.