Back up qb?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I know it's not a major priority and if Wilson gets hurt we are screwed. However, Paxton Lynch is the only other qb on the roster.

I thought a developmental QB may have been taken as a UDFA. Doesnt appear to be the case.

Do we grab one during the first wave of cuts or will they just stick with Lynch? We wasted that 6th last year on Hundley and a 7th of mcgough.

I get a backup is only supposed to win you a couple of games until the starter is back but im not sure lynch can even do that. Wish we also started going down the packers and Patriots route and developed some prospects to learn behind wilson.

Preseason may be rough if Lynch is getting most of the reps.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
As reported at http://www.fieldgulls.com

Baylor CB Derrek Thomas
Texas CB Davante Davis
SDSU QB Taryn Christion
WKU TE Mik'Quan Deane
New Mexico WR Delane Hart-Johnson
Northwestern State WR Jazz Ferguson
Utah OL Lo Falemaka
Ohio State OL Demetrius Knox

[youtube]RUblj6phrN4[/youtube]

Only bad thing is Russ is going to have to change his number. :cry:

getnasty

Reaction score
Whats Mcgob up too? I thought he was pretty good last year. Hopefully Pete can motavate Paxton Lynch.

Rat

Reaction score
getnasty":3gj4m943 said:
Whats Mcgob up too? I thought he was pretty good last year. Hopefully Pete can motavate Paxton Lynch.

McGough is with the Jags now, but they just drafted Gardner Minshew in the 6th round for some reason, and already have Nick Foles and Cody Kessler on board. I would think McGough has an uphill climb to make that roster, so he could easily become available again.

Seafan

Reaction score
Christion is an impressive athlete who had a great career QBing at SDSU. I look forward to seeing him play in preseason.

toffee

Reaction score
five years down the road, may be we can have Murray to come in as backup qb.

Rat

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":fxpihvg0 said:
toffee":fxpihvg0 said:
five years down the road, may be we can have Murray to come in as backup qb.

Which CFL team do you think we'll be prying him away from? ;)

You mean which MLB team's AA affiliate?

Rat

Reaction score
Largent80":1gzy0hpz said:
At this moment they are happy with Lynch.

They shouldn't be. Lynch has given absolutely no reason to have faith that he will put 100% into being a quality NFL player. His time in Denver was an embarrassment.

Hopefully his failures were a wake-up call and he stops acting entitled and finally takes his job seriously. Outside of what he has going between his ears, everything else is there. Regardless, I hope John and Pete continue to keep a close eye on the waiver wire. There should be some at least passable options later on if Paxton hasn't gotten his head out of his rear. Or maybe that guy from South Dakota State will surprise.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Wonder if they bring in Luke Falk for a trial who was just released by Miami.

Rat

Reaction score
Largent80":2g6vh287 said:
therealjohncarlson":2g6vh287 said:
Largent80":2g6vh287 said:

How do you know that?

Because they didn't draft a QB, they added a couple UDFA. What does that tell YOU?

We don't know that they didn't have a QB or two targeted in the draft, but just missed out on them. Quite a few of those Day 3 guys went earlier than expected.

I can't say for sure they're "happy" with Lynch, who they have next to nothing invested in anyways, but they havn't emphasized the backup QB spot all that much since the early TJax days. Might just be good enough. Lynch has shown so far that he's not a leader or a hard worker; he must have impressed Pete and John's pants off in interviews (maybe being unemployed for so long woke him up) or his measurables are just THAT intriguing.

Hope it works out, but at the very least, I would like to see more competition brought in, if somebody decent suddenly becomes available.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Taryn Christion is good enough to win the job over a Paxton Lynch who doesn't put in the necessary effort. The eventual winner of that competition should be an adequate backup QB behind a guy like Russ.

Rat

Reaction score
AgentDib":ryjlxcv7 said:
Taryn Christion is good enough to win the job over a Paxton Lynch who doesn't put in the necessary effort. The eventual winner of that competition should be an adequate backup QB behind a guy like Russ.

I'm not sure what to think of Christion. South Dakota State doesn't get a lot of air time where I live, so really all I have to go by is his stats. Looks like he was very hit-or-miss last year, with some monster games (6 with at least 3 TDs), but also a number of poor ones. A 32-8 TD to INT ratio is obviously excellent, but you'd kind of like to see better than a 58% completion percentage in the FCS. It's really hard to get much context on those stats though, because looking at the game logs, I have no clue whatsoever how good these teams he played are. Basically my entire knowledge of the FCS is: North Dakota State = good; Eastern Washington = red.

I would guess he's a practice squad guy, but if anyone has better insight on him, I'd definitely like to hear it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":2d8nvubq said:
therealjohncarlson":2d8nvubq said:
Largent80":2d8nvubq said:

How do you know that?

Because they didn't draft a QB, they added a couple UDFA. What does that tell YOU?

That Lynch gets 60 percent Tails on the Coin Flip contest.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1123757032572686336[/tweet]

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jville":byctzlea said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1123757032572686336[/tweet]

They must want to test out the hands of the rookie DBs. :sarcasm_off: