Is Doug Really Done?

Is Doug Baldwin going to retire or will he still be an active player on the roster in September?

• He's done. Too many injuries.

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Come on man! This is ADB we are talking about. Of course he will be suiting up for the Hawks in th

Votes: 35 46.7%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This dude is a warrior. He's not built like most. Cerebral, contemplative and gifted. Maybe it's denial but I for one am voting that Doug is in a Seahawks uniform and on the field come September. What about you?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
They wouldn't have drafted 3 WR if he were coming back. They've known for awhile too his likely intentions.

It has nothing to do with his competitive desire, it's simply the multiple surgeries and aggravating injuries are taking their toll and his body is breaking down. He absolutely gutted it out last year to make it through the year but now the harm done to his body is just too much.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1acvrwy1 said:
They wouldn't have drafted 3 WR if he were coming back. They've known for awhile too his likely intentions.

It has nothing to do with his competitive desire, it's simply the multiple surgeries and aggravating injuries are taking their toll and his body is breaking down. He absolutely gutted it out last year to make it through the year but now the harm done to his body is just too much.

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote but there's still that nagging aspect in my mind that if anyone can come back from his situation, it's him.

Seahawker

Reaction score
---------- rec/yards/td
Largent 819/13089/100
Blades 581/7620/34
Baldwin 493/6563/49
Jackson 441/6445/47

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
From reading Doug's tweets over the weekend, and listening to what both Pete and John have said about Doug......it sure sounds like he's done with football.

You're right, Doug isn't built like most of us. But IMO that means he's always believed that he's destined for bigger and better things beyond the football field. He has big ambition to make social change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see within a couple years Doug Baldwin running for mayor, city council or even governor. I truly think that's where his passion lies now.

So as much as I don't want it to be true, yes I believe he's done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He's done at least for this year..I wouldn't rule out a comeback with him.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I brought up this topic months ago and posters all said, "No."

Doug is a smart guy.

He's done.

Health after football is vastly more important than attempting to play one more year with the condition he's at.

He has nothing left to prove to himself, much less, anyone else.

Doug was an undrafted player that almost quit football altogether in college.

He rose to SuperBowl champion and will currently go down as the second best (after Largent) Seahawks receiver of all-time.

Godspeed, Doug!

We will miss you and you will always be a "Seahawk."

We will see you in the Seahawks Ring of Honor.

Thank you!

GLio14

Reaction score
I'm willing to think he'll go the Marshawn route. Maybe he takes a year off, and then comes back after missing the game too much.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q1v53q4n said:
From reading Doug's tweets over the weekend, and listening to what both Pete and John have said about Doug......it sure sounds like he's done with football.

You're right, Doug isn't built like most of us. But IMO that means he's always believed that he's destined for bigger and better things beyond the football field. He has big ambition to make social change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see within a couple years Doug Baldwin running for mayor, city council or even governor. I truly think that's where his passion lies now.

So as much as I don't want it to be true, yes I believe he's done.

Most definitely will Doug find himself in some role that allows him the platform to help cultivate social change on some level. He's a brilliant mind with activism in his heart. Yet, he is a fierce competitor, and it's that side of him that makes me think we haven't seen the last of him, but I completely understand why most think he's done. He very well could be but personally, whether it's this season or takes a year off, I really think we haven't seen the last of him just yet.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
GLio14":1yzk440g said:
I'm willing to think he'll go the Marshawn route. Maybe he takes a year off, and then comes back after missing the game too much.

Totally could see this happening.

toffee

Reaction score
Everything pointing to him being done. The cap space will get a boost?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":2ip1iyre said:

The Times reported yesterday about this;

s Corry noted, the Seahawks will save $6.856 million against the cap in 2019 if Baldwin is released prior to June 2. If it is done after that date, then the team saves $10 million. In each case, though, that number likely then drops by the $1.2 million of the injury protection money Baldwin would be due.

I assume the Hawks will not make Doug pay back any bonus out of good faith, like they did for Marshawn when he "retired."

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cli423w said:
toffee":2cli423w said:

The Times reported yesterday about this;

s Corry noted, the Seahawks will save $6.856 million against the cap in 2019 if Baldwin is released prior to June 2. If it is done after that date, then the team saves $10 million. In each case, though, that number likely then drops by the $1.2 million of the injury protection money Baldwin would be due.

I assume the Hawks will not make Doug pay back any bonus out of good faith, like they did for Marshawn when he "retired."

So the team save more by release after June 2? Sounded like we will have additional cap for FA.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just to be clear, we wouldn't be saving more money overall but instead kicking some of it down the road to next season. Front offices always have a higher discount rate than the long-term fans do and I rarely like this sort of move as a result.

If we're going to designate stuff post June 2nd (Kam's contract as well) it should be an exception not the rule and done for an excellent reason. A player on a good deal or a key extension done early would be OK with me, whereas just overpaying guys at the end of FA because we have extra cash is not a good use of 2020 dollars.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Another rally by Doug?, I'd be ecstatic as all get out, but injuries have taken their toll on the warrior, it's got to be weighing heavy on his mind.
Whatever happens, finding his replacement is going to be a mega challenge.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think he is recovering and is going to see how he feels afterwards and make a decision. My feeling is he will try to play.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Does anybody have real info ?

Doug will do what’s best for Doug .

We all hope that’s playing for Seattle next season . He’s arguably the greatest toe tapper in the history of the NFL . Which is ironic considering it was Cris Carter ( the toe tap legend ) who called Baldwin a pedestrian and absolutely lit a fire under Doug’s behind .

3rd downs and 4th downs , I feel like I can make a 10 minute highlight video on those downs alone .

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm going no, but it's based on wishful thinking rather that real gut feeling. :?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1cixrkpx said:
Does anybody have real info ?

Just what Pete and John said after the draft, they both seemed pretty sure Doug was leaning towards retirement..........and they certainly drafted like he's not coming back.

Obviously we all hope Doug doesn't retire, next to Largent he's the greatest receiver in team history. But all indicators point to him not coming back.

I think we'll know a lot more come June.

Largent80

Reaction score
They drafted 3 WR's because of the obvious, not just because of Baldwins health. It takes time to develop at WR and it was obvious that we needed fresh blood there. Moore blew a tire, they hardly threw to Brown which was extremely dumb.

Doug will decide WHEN he is done assessing himself post sports hernia surgery. It's as simple as that.