Expert prediction: our offense - #7

toffee

Reaction score
7. Seattle Seahawks

Ron Jenkins/Associated Press
Offensive coordinator: Brian Schottenheimer

Positives

Few teams can rebuild as quickly as the Seattle Seahawks have in the last two years. They revamped the defense on the fly last offseason, and they turned their attention to the offense this year. With Doug Baldwin's future suddenly uncertain, the Seahawks spent a second-round pick on explosive Ole Miss receiver D.K. Metcalf to pair with budding young wideouts Tyler Lockett and David Moore.

The offensive line was better in 2018 as well after line coach Tom Cable departed. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer incorporated tight ends more often than former coordinator Darrell Bevell did, too. That must continue in 2019.

Negatives

Schottenheimer can get too reliant on the running game considering he has an elite quarterback in Russell Wilson. Few players in the league are as explosive as Wilson is with his arm and legs, and he needs to be unleashed earlier and more often than he has been at times. There's a fine line of balance, but the Seahawks are at their best with Wilson controlling the ball more.

There'll be more pressure on the young tight ends and backs if Baldwin retires. It'd be quite the leap for Will Dissly or Nick Vannett to become a primary target.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... her#slide0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hard to disagree with anything here.

I do think there will be some growing pains early on with so many young receivers, as well as Dissly proving he can be the #1 TE and stay healthy.

So me thinks the offense might look a little rough at times, but by mid-season I think Russell, Schotty and Pete will find their balance and rhythm as these young receivers come along.

Veteran gelling O-line and nasty RB corp should help the cause immensely. #7? Sounds about right.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Surprises:

Cowboys - 19
Panthers - 15
GB - 13
Colts - 9
Browns - 6
Chief - 5

Outright hating on the girls.

AgentDib

Reaction score
What makes Ian Wharton an expert on NFL offenses? Haven't heard of him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not one mention of Pete's philosophy and how he has final say on what kind of offense we run.

Therefore he is ill informed and just another hack that is grabbing information from other ill informed and publishing it as his own.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm sure that Schotty is aware that the passing game needs to be utilized more, drafting 3 receivers is a sign that they intend to do just that, I don't think they did that just to fill Baldwin's spot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Where'd they end up last year? If they have a Top 7 offense, I would think the #20 power ranking posted the other day would be way off.

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkGA":cusqg08s said:
Where'd they end up last year? If they have a Top 7 offense, I would think the #20 power ranking posted the other day would be way off.

Depends which stat you use to rank offenses.

If you use yards per game they were the 18th ranked offense, but if you use points per game they were tied with the Chargers and Steelers for the 6th ranked offense.

Kinda funny isn't it? Soooooooo many complaints about our offense, but at the end of the day only 5 out of the 32 teams in the NFL scored more points than we did.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Chapow":1are0hxc said:
HawkGA":1are0hxc said:

Depends which stat you use to rank offenses.

If you use yards per game they were the 18th ranked offense, but if you use points per game they were tied with the Chargers and Steelers for the 6th ranked offense.

Kinda funny isn't it? Soooooooo many complaints about our offense, but at the end of the day only 5 out of the 32 teams in the NFL scored more points than we did.
well said dude, just wanna add that in the end points not yardage help winning games.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think most people were pleased with our offense until the playoffs when the cowboys stopped our run game and it seemed Schottenheimer forgot to gameplan a passing strategy just in case.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3f2s2o2v said:
I think most people were pleased with our offense until the playoffs when the cowboys stopped our run game and it seemed Schottenheimer forgot to gameplan a passing strategy just in case.

Nah they forgot to have 3 other O lineman on the team for the injured ones that played.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm sure the Cowboys would have respected that our guards were injured and wouldn't have tried to sack Russell Wilson twenty times. And even if they had sacked Russell Wilson twenty times, I'm very sure none of our fan base would have complained about getting away from the run.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
toffee":187onmy4 said:
7. Seattle Seahawks

Ron Jenkins/Associated Press
Offensive coordinator: Brian Schottenheimer

Positives

Few teams can rebuild as quickly as the Seattle Seahawks have in the last two years. They revamped the defense on the fly last offseason, and they turned their attention to the offense this year. With Doug Baldwin's future suddenly uncertain, the Seahawks spent a second-round pick on explosive Ole Miss receiver D.K. Metcalf to pair with budding young wideouts Tyler Lockett and David Moore.

The offensive line was better in 2018 as well after line coach Tom Cable departed. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer incorporated tight ends more often than former coordinator Darrell Bevell did, too. That must continue in 2019.

Negatives

Schottenheimer can get too reliant on the running game considering he has an elite quarterback in Russell Wilson. Few players in the league are as explosive as Wilson is with his arm and legs, and he needs to be unleashed earlier and more often than he has been at times. There's a fine line of balance, but the Seahawks are at their best with Wilson controlling the ball more.

There'll be more pressure on the young tight ends and backs if Baldwin retires. It'd be quite the leap for Will Dissly or Nick Vannett to become a primary target.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... her#slide0

If memory serves correctly, they relied more on Russ in 2017 and went back to running the ball more last year with better offensive results.

Is my memory just anecdotal or were there actual stats to bear out the fact that our overall offense was more efficient with less reliance on Russ in 2018?

Ozzy

Reaction score
AgentDib":2f6hgeeo said:
I'm sure the Cowboys would have respected that our guards were injured and wouldn't have tried to sack Russell Wilson twenty times. And even if they had sacked Russell Wilson twenty times, I'm very sure none of our fan base would have complained about getting away from the run.

This claim would hold more water if we didn't have so much success when we did go to the pass in the Dallas game. So I think the fan base would have been just fine if we were a little more aggressive and a little bit earlier with it in the Dallas game. Not every route has to be a 15 yard deep post or double move on the outside.

What kills me about this take is that Pete, Schott, Russell, Duane Brown to name a few have all said since that game they should have leaned on the pass earlier and with a higher frequency in that game in hindsight. So when people are still arguing against it it baffles me.