Expert prediction - our defense #30

toffee

Reaction score
So our defense, a Pete Carroll defense will suck this season at #30

30. Seattle Seahawks

2018 Points-Allowed Rank: No. 11
2018 Yards-Allowed Rank: No. 16

The Seattle Seahawks have Bobby Wagner, arguably the game's best middle linebacker, but head coach Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. don't have many high-end players around him. Tackle Jarran Reed (26), who put together a breakout 2018 season with 10.5 sacks, and cornerback Shaquill Griffin (23) are the young playmakers.

Linebacker K.J. Wright and safety Bradley McDougald can provide veteran experience and solid play in the back seven. The former has to stay healthy, though; he underwent a knee scope last offseason and only suited up for five games in 2018.

The Seahawks traded defensive end Frank Clark to the Kansas City Chiefs and dealt a major blow to the front line. Since 2016, he's logged 32 sacks; his absence may allow offensive linemen to double-team Reed on the interior. Rookie first-rounder L.J. Collier flashed as a pass-rusher at TCU but played in a rotational role for most of his collegiate career.

Seattle extended quarterback Russell Wilson's deal for four years and $140 million and had to sacrifice its pass rush. As expected, the team lost a ball hawk in safety Earl Thomas during free agency. Opposing quarterbacks should be able to avoid Wagner in the middle of the field and feast on the secondary with ample time in the pocket.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... her#slide3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We have the same number of playmakers as 2011 and finished top 10.
No Carroll led defense will finish 30th even with tackling dummies in the secondary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":27iq65js said:
No Carroll led defense will finish 30th even with tackling dummies in the secondary.

This x 10.

Not since 2010 has a Pete Carroll led Hawk's defense finished lower than 14th in scoring defense, and most years was top 5.

There's a lot of room for criticism with how Pete run his offense, but there's no room for criticism with Pete's defensive schemes, philosophy and how incredibly he develops players on the defensive side of the ball.

Pete's defense balls out, every single game, every single season. So I'd be shocked if we finish lower than 15th in scoring defense in 2019, even with no Clark, which really is the only big missing piece from last year. Everyone else is back, AND we drafted some great depth and talent (and I assume will be adding a couple FA pieces as well).

Jville

Reaction score
If this had passed over an editors desk, I can see a couple of changes that could have been corrected.

#1. The word "Expert" in the title overstates the linked authors credentials. A more appropriate describer might be Journeyman or Apprentice.

#2. The sentence "but head coach Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. don't have many high-end players around him." would read better as ...... but head coach Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. don't have as many brand name players around them.

#3. Russell Wilson has never appeared on defense and is outside the scope of the subject/topic .... i.e. off topic.

#4. Earl Thomas is long gone and much adjustment time was utilized last year (2018). The team has since added many more defensive backs to this year's competition (2019).

All in all, an incomplete and disappointing article with rather flawed assessments and analysis by the author Maurice Moton.

Never-the-less, thanks for posting the link. It's useful to contrast poorly written articles along with the better researched and written articles. Apprentice writers have to start somewhere so (IMHO) a degree of tolerance is useful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1naqfg2k said:
Bleacher Report. All you have to post. Clickbait by losers, for losers.

It's also stupid to even waste your time as a sports site ranking anything before the end of camp. Still more free agency and dozens of transactions before coming even CLOSE to gauging how they're going to look during the regular season.

It's like the idiots who come out with their 2020 mock drafts.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Not a lot of logic in this thinking. Why? Because it's hard to imagine the defense being WORSE than last year..

We used a lot of new guys last year. Chances are we see marked improvement in the secondary with Flowers in year 2, Shaq in year 3 and McDougald in year 3 as the unquestioned leader.. The massive loss was Clark, but if Wright stays healthy that's a boost to our LBing corps.

I think we'll have a better defense this year.. Also assuming the offense takes a step forward in year 2 of the new scheme and blocking assignments that can alleviate the stress on the defense. I forsee the offense being more efficient and effective.

knownone

Reaction score
To be fair, the author of the article doesn't call himself an expert.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Who is this Bozo?

30th??? In his dreams.

Just because of the losses of Clark and Coleman and a DT who wasn’t very good? Can’t imagine how the rest of the D will fall off that much. Can’t imagine that Pete would ever have a D that was 30th.

These mediots year after year pan our drafts, slag the coaching, underrated the roster, and rated the team low. They actually know very little about the players the team has b/c they are not all top ten picks. It’s all BS.

Hit the ignore button.

Chawker

Reaction score
30th ???..... Now if a "EXPERT" has said this it must be true, right? :sarcasm_off:

Depending a few moves John does between now and the start of the season, I'm thinking by the end of the season our defense will be in the top half of the NFL. Injurys included.
Cheers

Ruminator

Reaction score
Have had this disease for more than a decade that took away my ability to laugh. Instantly cured by reading this article!

Let's plan on reviving this thread in November for even more laughs.

hawk45

Reaction score
I understand a case for the defense being worse, as an analyst considers the drop off last year when the last of the LOB were gone along with Bennett and Avril. Asking Clark to carry the pass rush from the edge was dicey, somehow he delivered, and now he's gone. Linebackers are a year older.

But I'm with the majority in that I just can't picture 30th and Pete Carroll.

We need to stop the griffin slide at LCB, hit on a new nickel, hit on a new safety, and hit on the DL, and to me that's far too many ifs to assume we will have a "good" defense. But 30th? Sounds like a hot take to me. He could have gone 20 and even if we exceeded that it wouldn't be considered and unreasonable extrapolation.

Erebus

Reaction score
A previous boss of mine used to write for Bleacher Report. He quit after just a few articles because they had no interest in journalistic integrity or whatever you want to call it. His editors wanted him to put a scandalous slant on everything, even if it wasn't true. Bleacher Report is more interested in stirring the pot for clicks than they are in honest sports writing.

Mick063

Reaction score
No way in hell that a Pete Carroll defense will ever be the third worst in the league.

The key to NFL defense has always been controlling the center of the field. Reed, Wagner, and McDougald is a very strong foundation for that.

Is Vegas laying odds on this? If so, I want in on the action.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete could take a bunch of retirees and High School kids everywhere but D line and not be 30th.

quadsas

Reaction score
I mean, obviously thats outrageous. Does this guy think that replacing Clark with Collier, and adding Blair drops the defence from above average to bottom feeder? We only lost Coleman when it comes to free agency too, no idea what he was thinking honestly, this is terrible even by BR standards

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Quit taking BR articles seriously folks. Garbage sports journalism as its best. :pukeface: