Question that's bugged me for a while

cheese22

Reaction score
I’m a believer that Seattle overlooked the importance of the kicking game the last couple years, or thought they had addressed the position with an old, often injured, washed up leg. Every good team has very good to great kickers. Going after a punter in round 5 last year makes me think they are making moves to solidify a couple of those spots that never seem to be priorities in the draft.
Another of those non-priority but very important positions is FB, IMO. So, my question is: will they keep Dimel? They’ve used below average blocking fullbacks and TE’s recently. Dimel looks like the type of guy every good running team needs. Does he stick or is it that they are satisfied with continuing the trend of using a cheap lead blocker or TE instead of a true FB?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Having another Michael Robinson or Mack Strong type FB makes a lot of sense, and would lend to the durability of the RB's.

OP
OP
cheese22

cheese22

Reaction score
Dimel would also be the best ball carrier at FB that Seattle has ever had. Another big weapon in short yardage situations.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Don’t think Carson failed to convert short yardage last year.

Madden is cheap and plays well on teams.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2j97dw97 said:

There's a big difference between Acceptable, & Exceptional. :stirthepot:

acer1240

Reaction score
cheese22":3derz9uk said:
Dimel would also be the best ball carrier at FB that Seattle has ever had. Another big weapon in short yardage situations.

John L Williams would like a word with you.

knownone

Reaction score
scutterhawk":205006qc said:
Having another Michael Robinson or Mack Strong type FB makes a lot of sense, and would lend to the durability of the RB's.
Mike Rob wasn’t in the same stratosphere as Mack Strong.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
cheese22":go9dpdt4 said:
I’m a believer that Seattle overlooked the importance of the kicking game the last couple years, or thought they had addressed the position with an old, often injured, washed up leg. Every good team has very good to great kickers.

The kicking game has never been a priority for Pete and this dates back to USC. He has always felt you should never be in a position where you have to rely on your kicker to win a game for you, the game should be won well before that.

So he's not going to spend $$$ or give up a decent round draft pick for a kicker. He just wants someone who is consistent on extra points and chip-shot FGs. If they can make 50+ yarders, great, but that's just gravy.

GLio14

Reaction score
I always thought Tukuafu was a really good FB for us. Also hate the fact that we never brought back Marcel Reece.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I really hope this kid sticks. Having a big body out there or a tightend just isn’t the same thing.

[youtube]9MiLOz3btaA[/youtube]

If the tightend holds his block on that play, that’s an easy 20+ yards. Carson would feast.

knownone

Reaction score
GLio14":lvolidx7 said:
I always thought Tukuafu was a really good FB for us. Also hate the fact that we never brought back Marcel Reece.
I miss Tukuafu. It was almost like we had 3 or 4 FBs with similar names given how often people screwed up his name. Tookookafoo, Tukowauwafu, etc... I honestly don't even know if he was a good player on the field or if I just liked him as a person.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
knownone":1r72709i said:
GLio14":1r72709i said:
I miss Tukuafu. It was almost like we had 3 or 4 FBs with similar names given how often people screwed up his name. Tookookafoo, Tukowauwafu, etc... I honestly don't even know if he was a good player on the field or if I just liked him as a person.

It was really cool to see him play rotational snaps on the defensive line, as well, and then go back to playing some fullback snaps. He played DL at Oregon, and when we were decimated on that front with injuries, he stepped up.

Cool utility player. Just wish they didn't keep trying to hand it off to him in short yardage, he wasn't The Fridge. Even if he wasn't massively skilled, he was intimidating and could really lay some wood.

Largent80

Reaction score
Special teams was addressed in a big way this off season. I wanted the coaches head to roll but they kept him and totally upgraded the entire special teams.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
acer1240":v5iovdm3 said:

For the win. Annnnnd, check mate.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2vye91bn said:

Madden is very injury prone (dating back to his time at USC)

I think having a fullback who is a little more durable should be a priority (I do love Madden's athleticism)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Aros":3po2g9e8 said:
acer1240":3po2g9e8 said:

For the win. Annnnnd, check mate.

John L Williams catching the ball out of the backfield just destroyed opposing defenses. Even when they knew it was coming, they couldn't stop him. Man was he fun to watch. He could run block, run the ball, pass block, and was one hell of a receiver.

ivotuk

Reaction score
“Tyler Lockett reached out to me and I’ve been talking to him, so that’s another guy,” said Dimel, referencing one of the Wildcats’ best receivers ever who has developed into a key cog in Seattle’s passing game. “Obviously, he’s not going to be in rookie minicamp, but I’m going to see him when I’m up there. Just having him on the team, that’ll be nice.”

One area that won’t escape Dimel’s attention in the coming days is special teams.

“As soon as I get in there, I want to get with the special teams coach and really emphasize that I’m willing to play whatever special teams I need to,” Dimel said. “I really want to do that, because I know it’s a thing that can keep you around the league and help you make a team.”

Looking around for inspiration at his position, Dimel pointed to one of Seattle’s NFC West rivals, San Francisco. Kyle Juszczyk, he said, is a perfect template for his own game.

“He’s a versatile fullback who can not only block, but he can run routes and run the ball a little,” Dimel said. “He’s obviously also really good on special teams. So that’s someone I want to model my game after. I hope I can have the success he’s had.”

Simply receiving an invite to Seattle’s rookie minicamp isn’t an honor Dimel takes lightly.

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/w ... 77adb.html

nanomoz

Reaction score
FWIW, the Bears just released John Baron, that kicker out of SDSU that was pretty highly regarded pre-draft.