Just for Laughs 2012 Draft Grades

sdog1981

Reaction score
I have found that most teams who get A's as draft grades are only winning 3 games a year.

Rat

Reaction score
sdog1981":1b8afpwr said:
I have found that most teams who get A's as draft grades are only winning 3 games a year.

Looking at SI's 2012 draft grades, the following teams got "A"s:

Bengals A+
Vikings A
Chargers A
Panthers A-
Colts A-
Eagles A-
Steelers A-
Bucs A-

Not really any perennial bottom-feeders there, except for the Bucs. Bengals have disappointed I suppose, although they went 11-5 and won their division the following season.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

Great to look back and see/hear what the talking heads said about the two drafts that made the Hawks Super Bowl champs!

AgentDib

Reaction score
WalterFootball 2012":sxxxd1rr said:
One such inept franchise is Seattle. What the hell is Pete Carroll doing? ... Bruce Irvin was a billion times worse. He's just an athlete playing football, and he can only do one thing on the field. Plus, he was arrested for robbery earlier in his life and recently was arrested again for ruining public property. There's no way he should have gone in the top four rounds. Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades because I gave Seattle the worst grade in the history of this Web site.
Years later the Seahawks 2012 draft is regarded as one of the best ever. It included Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, JR Sweezy, Jeremy Lane, and Robert Turbin.

And here's why he gave us a better grade in 2013.
WalterFootball 2013":sxxxd1rr said:
I did love some of the Seahawks' picks though. Chris Harper could succeed Sidney Rice if the injury-prone wideout gets hurt again. Ty Powell was a steal at No. 231. The best pick, however, was Jesse Williams, who was taken 137th overall. Some thought Williams would be a first-round pick, so to get him on Day 3 was phenomenal.

olyfan63

Reaction score
AgentDib":19mn5z4w said:
WalterFootball 2012":19mn5z4w said:
One such inept franchise is Seattle. What the hell is Pete Carroll doing? ... Bruce Irvin was a billion times worse. He's just an athlete playing football, and he can only do one thing on the field. Plus, he was arrested for robbery earlier in his life and recently was arrested again for ruining public property. There's no way he should have gone in the top four rounds. Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades because I gave Seattle the worst grade in the history of this Web site.
Years later the Seahawks 2012 draft is regarded as one of the best ever. It included Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, JR Sweezy, Jeremy Lane, and Robert Turbin.

WalterFootball 2013":19mn5z4w said:
I did love some of the Seahawks' picks though. Chris Harper could succeed Sidney Rice if the injury-prone wideout gets hurt again. Ty Powell was a steal at No. 231. The best pick, however, was Jesse Williams, who was taken 137th overall. Some thought Williams would be a first-round pick, so to get him on Day 3 was phenomenal.

Comical that WalterF gave Seattle a better grade in 2013 because of 3 picks who had essentially zero impact as a Seahawk,never really saw the field. Chris Harper succeeding Sidney Rice??!! Very, very different players. Jesse Williams I don't recall ever really seeing actually playing in a 'Hawks uni, as he had injury problems, sad situation, but "Not For Long". The other 2013 draftee was Ty Powell, a DE, not to be confused with Tyvis Powell, a 2015 draft pick and a DB. Anyway, DE Ty Powell was released at the start of his rookie season. Giving good draft grades for these not-good-enough-for-the-NFL players just further illustrates how "expert" these talking heads/keyboard warriors really are. NOT.

Smellyman

Reaction score
olyfan63":257gwbse said:
AgentDib":257gwbse said:
WalterFootball 2012":257gwbse said:

WalterFootball 2013":257gwbse said:

Comical that WalterF gave Seattle a better grade in 2013 because of 3 picks who had essentially zero impact as a Seahawk,never really saw the field. Chris Harper succeeding Sidney Rice??!! Very, very different players. Jesse Williams I don't recall ever really seeing actually playing in a 'Hawks uni, as he had injury problems, sad situation, but "Not For Long". The other 2013 draftee was Ty Powell, a DE, not to be confused with Tyvis Powell, a 2015 draft pick and a DB. Anyway, DE Ty Powell was released at the start of his rookie season. Giving good draft grades for these not-good-enough-for-the-NFL players just further illustrates how "expert" these talking heads/keyboard warriors really are. NOT.

and on the flipside Schneider and Pete made those picks in 2013, are they so called 'experts' too.

this isn't an exact science.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smellyman":3a4bsd8r said:
olyfan63":3a4bsd8r said:
AgentDib":3a4bsd8r said:
WalterFootball 2012":3a4bsd8r said:

WalterFootball 2013":3a4bsd8r said:

and on the flipside Schneider and Pete made those picks in 2013, are they so called 'experts' too.

this isn't an exact science.

Main takeaway

olyfan63

Reaction score
They were also later round picks. Chris Harper was a 4th rounder, Jesse Williams a 5th rounder, and Ty Powell a 7th rounder. Not quite the draft capital investment of a Malik McDowell, or even an Ethan Pocic. Pocic might even become a real NFL player someday.

I think one takeaway from this is that Carroll and Schneider are much more expert at the draft than the media talking heads.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Same stuff, different year, every year; and more often than not they are repeatedly just flat out wrong.

Sometimes these 'draft expert' guys believe their own BS and it shows.

Rat

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3i393nwt said:
Same stuff, different year, every year; and more often than not they are repeatedly just flat out wrong.

Sometimes these 'draft expert' guys believe their own BS and it shows.

More often than not, the billion dollar NFL franchises with all the resources in the world are wrong too. Almost like this stuff is hard or something.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The takeaway is initial draft grades are meaningless. They reflect how close the team's board is to the grader's board and that is only interesting with hindsight years later.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane." Really?
Consensus AP All Pro for 3 consecutive years and due for some BIG coin.... Bobby & Russ were best picks of 2012.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rat":o4eu0krh said:
More often than not, the billion dollar NFL franchises with all the resources in the world are wrong too. Almost like this stuff is hard or something.

The point here I think, is that these draft "experts" try to come off as if their poop doesn't smell bad. It's the pretentious, "Listen to me because I am smarter than you" attitude (Mel *cough*) which makes it awfully fun to revel in just how off they can be just like me and you, regular shmoes.

NOBODY knows how ANY draft is going to grade out unless you have a crystal ball that can look into the future, 2, 3 years later.

They might as well be weather anchors. Wait, I take that back. Weather anchors are far more accurate. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":yd9bhhx8 said:
Rat":yd9bhhx8 said:

The point here I think, is that these draft "experts" try to come off as if their poop doesn't smell bad. It's the pretentious, "Listen to me because I am smarter than you" attitude (Mel *cough*) which makes it awfully fun to revel in just how off they can be just like me and you, regular shmoes.

NOBODY knows how ANY draft is going to grade out unless you have a crystal ball that can look into the future, 2, 3 years later.

They might as well be weather anchors. Wait, I take that back. Weather anchors are far more accurate. ;)

Possibly, but their predictions and knowledge of the Seahawks sinks them like a Boat anchor.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
chris98251":ipo4t121 said:
Possibly, but their predictions and knowledge of the Seahawks sinks them like a Boat anchor.

Every time. It's a joy to watch every year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
WalterFootball is a popularity contest parading as analysis.

And that's fine. It's entertainment. But it's not contextualized or informed analysis.