Can Lockett hold up as slot receiver?

mikeak

Reaction score
I keep hearing about Metcalf going to an outside receiver spot and possibly Moore or Jennings on the other side with Lockett taking the slot receiver spot as a 5' 10", 182lbs player

While Edelman has held up (18lbs heavier, but same height) other slot receivers are often injured with Welker at the same height and weight just about the same often being injured

So do people think that Lockett can hold up to the punishment it would mean to have him lined up in the slot? Will we be able to put him in a position where he isn't getting pounded catching the football over the middle?

Yes you can get injured on any position in the NFL, but slot receiver durability is a concern in general and I am not sure that Lockett is built for it.....

Thoughts?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
mikeak":1q5trv0o said:
I keep hearing about Metcalf going to an outside receiver spot and possibly Moore or Jennings on the other side with Lockett taking the slot receiver spot as a 5' 10", 182lbs player

While Edelman has held up (18lbs heavier, but same height) other slot receivers are often injured with Welker at the same height and weight just about the same often being injured

So do people think that Lockett can hold up to the punishment it would mean to have him lined up in the slot? Will we be able to put him in a position where he isn't getting pounded catching the football over the middle?

Yes you can get injured on any position in the NFL, but slot receiver durability is a concern in general and I am not sure that Lockett is built for it.....

Thoughts?

I thought Jennings was brought in specifically because at WV he was mainly used in the slot and effectively so. If that's the case it makes more sense for Locket and Metcalf to be on the outside and Jennings slot.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/640070/c ... ll-wilson/

"Seeing his potential in the Seahawks’ minicamp leaves the impression Metcalf could be starting at the beginning of the season. That would allow Tyler Lockett to move into the slot if Doug Baldwin retires. David Moore, rookie Gary Jennings or someone else could win the other outside receiver job."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/4/29/18 ... kett-ursua

"Moving Lockett inside would allow Metcalf, Ferguson, Jennings, Hart-Johnson and David Moore to duke it out for playing time as deep threats on the outside while Lockett continues his progression into one of the most dominant receivers in the NFL"

Definitely thoughts about putting Jennings and others on the outside and Lockett in the slot...….

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lockett broke his leg as an outside receiver, so I wouldn't be worried if he's going to get hurt moving inside.

Football players get hurt, you put your players in the best position to succeed......and now with a VERY young receiver corp Lockett will probably have to move inside where more precise route running, knowledge of the run game and reading defenses is required.

Hard to trust a 1st or 2nd year player in the slot. Much more is needed, and expected.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":kqf8m863 said:

Thoughts?

I think there were a few times when Edelman was "dinged" and he played through it. Pete won't allow that because he thinks long-term, playoffs and wants his players healthy at the end of the season. Having said that, Edelman is a pretty thick receiver, and I think that allows him to take some hits.

I don't know if I'm close, or way off, but I always got the impression that Julian was prepared for the hits, like he saw them coming and reacted to save his body. Not unlike Shaun Alexander, although with SA, it was fairly obvious.

I'm pretty sure I heard on 710 that they were looking at Ursua for the slot, and Greg Jennings there for a tryout.

Can we not say Jennings? I keep seeing kelly jennings in my mind's eye. :pukeface:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":2d6b0vk0 said:
mikeak":2d6b0vk0 said:

Thoughts?

I thought Jennings was brought in specifically because at WV he was mainly used in the slot and effectively so. If that's the case it makes more sense for Locket and Metcalf to be on the outside and Jennings slot.

My thoughts exactly, I think Jennings is going to surprise the hell out of a lot of Hawk fans.

Sac

Reaction score
Lockett is a physical carbon copy of Antonio Brown, and I think this coming season his numbers will reflect that he's taken his game to a AB like level. whether he's moved inside, or they move him around.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lockett is not a slot receiver. He could play a few snaps there sure but he's an outside and curl type WR.

Jville

Reaction score
My thought is they added rookie slot receivers just in case Baldwin retires ........

Slot Receiver John Ursua w/ 4.16 shuttle & 6.77 3-cone.
Also Terry Wright w/ 4.39 shuttle & 6.77 3-cone.

Those two would appear to be the closest to Doug Baldwin's amazing 6.56 3-cone.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but it seems small quick guys are hurt way less than big guys.

This may be one of those things where preconceived notions are different than reality.

Tical21

Reaction score
He got the majority of the snaps in the slot last year when Doug wasn't playing, with relatively mixed results. As great as Tyler is at getting open deep, for some reason he's never been great at getting open quickly. He would probably be okay, but a far cry from how good he is outside, so I would think they would prefer Ursua or one of the UDFA comes on big.

sutz

Reaction score
Tical21":2dx6h4hu said:
He got the majority of the snaps in the slot last year when Doug wasn't playing, with relatively mixed results. As great as Tyler is at getting open deep, for some reason he's never been great at getting open quickly. He would probably be okay, but a far cry from how good he is outside, so I would think they would prefer Ursua or one of the UDFA comes on big.
I think Jennings projects as a possible slot WR. Missed rookie camp with a hammie, though.

Tical21

Reaction score
sutz":3m9n7fz9 said:
Tical21":3m9n7fz9 said:
I think Jennings projects as a possible slot WR. Missed rookie camp with a hammie, though.
He also had a 3-done that was almost as bad as Metcalf. I haven't watched his tape, but that worries me.

sutz

Reaction score
Tical21":pqyzgz5l said:
sutz":pqyzgz5l said:
Tical21":pqyzgz5l said:
He also had a 3-done that was almost as bad as Metcalf. I haven't watched his tape, but that worries me.
There's been a lot of discussion about that on other threads. Having read a lot of that, I'm not sure how important that is to a WR, even a slot receiver. I know tall people can have trouble with that. WRs don't necessarily move on the field with a low center of gravity like, say, a lineman does. One common comment was that numerous successful WRs didn't do well on that drill or skipped it altogether.

I guess we'll see. I'll take the comment about Tyler in the slot at face value. Perhaps that's another reason they drafted 3WR this year, and Ursua sounds like a good Baldwin replacement, in skills if not in talent level. They used 2020 draft capital to get him, so they must have liked him. They apparently didn't want to risk him slipping to UDFA status.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Lockett should be kept where he's at. I want to see Lockett playing where he plays best. Let Jennings or Ursua play in the slot.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Guys can line up on the outside and run routes over the middle of the field (comeback, slant, in). Receivers can also line up in the slot and run corner/post/go routes all day (Ursua at Hawaii). I believe Jennings played out of the slot mainly because he couldn't be pressed there, but there's no reason that he couldn't also play flanker for the same reasons.

There's a ton of flexibility available for us to get our best receivers on the field at the same time and running routes that play into our QB's strengths. BMW was our best possession receiver for a season mainly running short out routes.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Baldwin ran a 6.65 3 cone at his pro day (lower than anyone in the entire 2019 WR class) and is a top 3 Slot WR in the league. It doesn't matter who you put there, they aren't going to replace him- not even close.

chris98251

Reaction score
lukerguy":p9zqr357 said:
Baldwin ran a 6.65 3 cone at his pro day (lower than anyone in the entire 2019 WR class) and is a top 3 Slot WR in the league. It doesn't matter who you put there, they aren't going to replace him- not even close.

But he was a UDFA, there has to be draft picks that make him look like a statue out there according to many on the Site.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3364bxb9 said:
That's not the point at all----IF Baldwin hangs up his cleats, the Seahawks will need to FIND a suitable replacement, and PRONTO!