2019 Defense backfield

toffee

Reaction score
We have lots of names, but who will make the final roster? Who will start and what position?

Cornerbacks:
Tre Flowers
Shaquill Griffin
Davante Davis *
Akeem King
Kalan Reed
Jamar Taylor
Derrek Thomas *
Simeon Thomas
Neiko Thorpe

Free safety
Ugo Amadi *
Bradley McDougald (played SS last season)
Tedric Thompson

Strong safety
Marquise Blair *
Delano Hill
Marwin Evans
Jalen Harvey *
Shalom Luani

*rookies

I don't think Shaquil is locked in at LCB, nor is Tedric at FS.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":39pzj0wi said:
We have lots of names, but who will make the final roster? Who will start and what position?

Cornerbacks:
Tre Flowers
Shaquill Griffin
Davante Davis *
Akeem King
Kalan Reed
Jamar Taylor
Derrek Thomas *
Simeon Thomas
Neiko Thorpe

Free safety
Ugo Amadi *
Bradley McDougald (played SS last season)
Tedric Thompson

Strong safety
Marquise Blair *
Delano Hill
Marwin Evans
Jalen Harvey *
Shalom Luani

*rookies

I don't think Shaquil is locked in at LCB, nor is Tedric at FS.

Those that don't make the team will fill the PS and IR, You have to look at who was drafted for what, who we have had here before and whether we will red shirt them for a guy on a contract that will be high once a F.A.

Pete was happy with Shaq last year, even though he was beat at times, he should be much more comfortable on the left side this season.

Regardless the gauntlet has been dropped on the team again to compete, will be a dynamic pre season and summer camp this year.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I could see Flowers & Griffin switching sides and Jamar Taylor at nickelback. That leaves the remaining 6 or 7 to compete for the final two CB spots, with the hope that D. Davis and/or D. Thomas wind up on the final 53 or practice squad. Wouldn't be surprised to see McDougald at FS and M. Blair making his rookie debut at SS & Ugo Amadi having back up roles at nickel, FS & full time special teamer. This post probably puts too much hope on this rookie class, it's nice to know JS/PC should have enough cap room to add a vet later if needed.

chris98251

Reaction score
I absolutely di not want to see them mess with Flowers, he has only played CB one year and is still getting adjusted to how to bump and run and confidence, I have said it before Griffin will get better, he has had to adjust to a flip flop of his steps and how he turns and tracks the ball and who he is covering. Flowers would have to do the same thing and then this board would say he sucked and needs to be replaced and everything else people dumped on Shaq for.

Shaq will continue to get better when he can just play and not be self conscious on his technique and habits developed from playing the RCB.

Rat

Reaction score
Wow, for some reason I didn't quite realize how thin we are at corner. Hopefully King continues to progress and we're able to stay healthy.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":360ze7or said:
I absolutely di not want to see them mess with Flowers, he has only played CB one year and is still getting adjusted to how to bump and run and confidence, I have said it before Griffin will get better, he has had to adjust to a flip flop of his steps and how he turns and tracks the ball and who he is covering. Flowers would have to do the same thing and then this board would say he sucked and needs to be replaced and everything else people dumped on Shaq for.

Shaq will continue to get better when he can just play and not be self conscious on his technique and habits developed from playing the RCB.
Yeah, what he said. :ditto:

We need to stick with the plan. Shaq will be fine at LCB, Flowers will get better at RCB. Flipping them back and forth helps neither one of them. Besides, that's what training camp is for. Pete has been coaching up top notch secondaries since the early days of his career. I'll trust his judgement over some fantasy football wannabe GM/coach. ;)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":24ujays6 said:
chris98251":24ujays6 said:

Yeah, what he said. :ditto:

We need to stick with the plan. Shaq will be fine at LCB, Flowers will get better at RCB. Flipping them back and forth helps neither one of them. Besides, that's what training camp is for. Pete has been coaching up top notch secondaries since the early days of his career. I'll trust his judgement over some fantasy football wannabe GM/coach. ;)
:ditto: