Ranking the NFC West

Zeearend

Reaction score
I am happy about the progress made in the draft and FA signings. Looks like PC/JS have a clear vision how to improve on last year. But our division rivals also made their personnel changes.

And since winning the division is the easiest way to get to the playoffs and possibly a bye and HOF advantage, I am wondering how strong we currently are compared to our division rivals based on the current roster.

I think the Rams are still strongest but the gap between them and both the Seahawks and the Niners is smaller. I rank the Hawks still a bit stronger than the Niners but not by much. Cardinals will not be as bad as last year and can defenitly play the role of spoiler. All in all this could be a dog fight division.

What do you think?

chris98251

Reaction score
I am reserved about this till we get done with pre season, between trades, injuries, cuts before games actually count you don't really know what we and they have.

But as a snap shot, it's a three team race with Arizona being media darlings with Murray landing there, at least at first.

The division position is as far as head to head is going to be what we will talk about a whole lot this season. It could possibly be a one game separation between 1st and 3rd with tie breakers making the difference.

That's as of today, we will see with more information.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd consider the Seahawks, Rams and 49ers as tier 1 and the Cardinals as tier 3.

Rams: I think they regress for three reasons. Reversion to the mean, the Patriots just demonstrated how to force Goff into making poor decisions on the fly, and it looks like Gurley may never be 100% again. Vegas gives them 8/1 odds at a Super Bowl which is way too high.

49ers: Their defense has the potential to be top 3 and they had perhaps the worst injury luck in the NFL last season. Vegas gives them 30/1 odds at a Super Bowl which is a little low.

Seahawks: I think we've gotten a little better this off-season although a lot will depend on how our receiver group comes through training camp. Vegas gives us 40/1 odds at a Super Bowl which is way too low.

Cardinals: They are counting on major impact from too many rookies (Murray, Isabella, Butler, Murphy, Thompson, Allen). This could be a scary team in 2020 but I think it's too early this season for them to have a real shot. Vegas gives them 125/1 odds at a Super Bowl which is probably about right.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Superbowl losses are hard on teams and not all of them recover. Look at some of the teams that lost and what happened the next season.

2015 Panthers: Team found out Cam was a fraud.

2016 Falcons: You don't come back from a gut-wrenching loss like that. Just ask the 2014 Seahawks.

2017 Eagles: Injuries deralied a talented team.

2018 Rams: Is Todd Gurley done? Has Goff be figured out? How will a team react when they go "all in for one season"

So with that, the two good QBs in the NFC West are Wilson and Goff. Jimmy G is paid like one but has not shown he can stay healthy for an extended season. Kyler Murry? Rookie so who knows, but we do know his head coach is a joke, so that will make things very interesting.

For me it is

1 Seahawks
2 Rams

3 49ers

4 Cards

toffee

Reaction score
This is the year for Cards if they would to make a run, Murray might be injured in year two and QB controversy in year three. Year four? Baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabowl

Reaction score
toffee":1nusdudv said:
This is the year for Cards if they would to make a run, Murray might be injured in year two and QB controversy in year three. Year four? Baseball.

From the worst team in the league to a run? :177692:

D

DomeHawk

seabowl":2wzywv4y said:
toffee":2wzywv4y said:

The Cards are trying to replicate what the Seahawks did when we drafted and started RW. It's a gamble at best and they traded away their backup plan. From a poker player's point of view they are all in with a marginal hand.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3jxr7tee said:
Superbowl losses are hard on teams and not all of them recover. Look at some of the teams that lost and what happened the next season.

2015 Panthers: Team found out Cam was a fraud.

2016 Falcons: You don't come back from a gut-wrenching loss like that. Just ask the 2014 Seahawks.

2017 Eagles: Injuries deralied a talented team.

2018 Rams: Is Todd Gurley done? Has Goff be figured out? How will a team react when they go "all in for one season"

So with that, the two good QBs in the NFC West are Wilson and Goff. Jimmy G is paid like one but has not shown he can stay healthy for an extended season. Kyler Murry? Rookie so who knows, but we do know his head coach is a joke, so that will make things very interesting.

For me it is

1 Seahawks
2 Rams

3 49ers

4 Cards
Wait... Eagles won in 2017.

toffee

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3dhh5tj6 said:
seabowl":3dhh5tj6 said:
toffee":3dhh5tj6 said:

The Cards are trying to replicate what the Seahawks did when we drafted and started RW. It's a gamble at best and they traded away their backup plan. From a poker player's point of view they are all in with a marginal hand.

You are right DomeHawk! "ALL IN" are the key words. For me, I couldn't wait for Mr. Vicious to meet Mr. 28" arms; gonna get extra butter for popcorn.