Sherm and ET retiring as Seahawks (hopefully)

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I've been a fan since it all began and I realized how special it all was as it was happening but I can't help but get emotional every time I look back at the highlights. LOB was amazing.

It seems wrong that I feel good about Kam after his neck injury but he is the only career Seahawk out of the group. Both Sherm and ET have said they want to retire as Hawks but it doesn't feel right after their departures and seeing Sherm and ET wearing another teams jerseys. I can deal with the beast, his dream was to play for the Raiders and only time will tell but I might get over ET but Sherm as a 49er, that is just wrong.

Anyway I was curious if anyone has heard of any plans for a Legion of Boom memorial?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I suspect we are several years off from this being answered.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeaMeat":x30yds3a said:
In Sherm's defense, he was ran off. He didn't leave to chase money.

True, but he made his own bed on that one. There was no more "Buy in"

But I have no problem with them retiring as Seahawks. In fact, I would welcome it, and would welcome them both in to the ring of honor.

Sherman, Earl, and Kam, all three fell victim to the "I'm the big contributor here, and I need to be recognized/paid more" trap.

Kam's hold out basically cost us a season. We lost those 2 games while the whole team was begging "Kam, come back!" Even Earl was against that, and he showed up even though he thought he deserved more money.

But that happens with a lot of young people in sports. They come out of nowhere, in to Stardom, and not everyone reacts perfectly. I would NOT hold any of that against them. It is what it is.

They are, and always will be, Seahawks. :icon_new:

Seymour

Reaction score
SeaMeat":qmw4u3p2 said:
In Sherm's defense, he was ran off. He didn't leave to chase money.

Agree. Sherman was run off by his own ego.

quadsas

Reaction score
Maybe if they retired like 15 years from now I may be fine. But the way they acted during their end days taints their legacy as 'Seahawks legend'. If I wouldn't want Steve Hutchinson to retire as a Seahawks I wouldn't want both of them either.

But they will go into Ring of Honor no matter what you feel about them, it's just the way it is.

And to the OP, Marshawn really doesn't have much in common with those guys in terms of leaving the organisation gratefully. His Seattle Times page put the end of an era beautifully and he could've go and play for Niners, Cardinals and Rams and score 2 dubs every game against us and he would still be allowed to date my sister

Own The West

Reaction score
quadsas":1vhgy82x said:
And to the OP, Marshawn really doesn't have much in common with those guys in terms of leaving the organisation gratefully. His Seattle Times page put the end of an era beautifully and he could've go and play for Niners, Cardinals and Rams and score 2 dubs every game against us and he would still be allowed to date my sister

Mine too, as long as Shawn retires a hawk.

ET, Sherm, and Kam all stabbed this franchise in the back during their time here. Those three can all have their names stamped into the urinals at King’s Hardware as far as I’m concerned.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kam???? He held out a couple games, big deal. He never stabbed anyone in the back. He didn't bash the coaches or flip off the head coach etc. None of it, in fact he more than made up for the short holdout.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Although I didn't like Kam's hold out....he didn't play for any other team and in general did not cause any drama (at least publicly) with the FO. So...Kam sure.

ET - I think this is possible, but it depends on his career with the other team(s) he plays for. He did make an issue publicly, but it can be argued it was an emotional one.

RS - His drama with the FO was far from private. Then he went off to join the Niners "out of spite". It's possible, and they say time heals all wounds..well gonna need A LOT of time for this one. If the Niners win a SB with him on the team, any desire for him to retire as a Seahawk will probably be gone.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The thing about Sherm that got old was that when he would do something, he would turn around and tell people it didn't actually happen :roll:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Look at what Kam did after he got hurt. He didn't bail and go back home like Earl did but instead stuck around and continued to be a leader. He even traveled with the team to road games and continued showing up to the facility more than a year later to support his teammates. Huge positive influence and it's ridiculous to put him in the same category as Earl.

Kam's attitude was an A+ here along with his talent. It was only his availability that held him back and nobody holds injury history against a player long-term. He'll stay a fan favorite pretty much forever.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No problem with it whatsoever.

As far as why they were run off. If I were to concede fully that they were run off due to their egos.

Who cares?

I said at the time (before posting here), during the infancy of Pete Carroll's tenure. I felt wholeheartedly that lack of alpha dog/big ego was holding this franchise back historically. I still feel, that what Sherman and Thomas (and Browner and Lynch and Kam) brought to this teams' psyche was exactly what this franchise and this town needed.

Their egos brought a swagger to this team that never existed before. Not collectively. And their personalities imprinted on the entire team in ways that we never really saw -- at least from a player driven perspective. Really the only personality other than theirs that dominated the team was Holmgren. And it's not as if he didn't possess a massive ego either. About the only comparable era in Seattle sport would have been the 90s run with Payton and Kemp.

I don't begrudge them the very qualities that were necessary to elevate this team from a mealy mouthed also ran of a franchise to the very zenith of the sport. Before those egos cursed our city, this franchise was as interesting and exciting as the Titans or the Bengals. Nobody loved or hated us. Nobody really even cared.

These egos were necessary. And they also meant their tenure here would be brilliant, but short. The character of the team was unstable and unsustainable. But it was definitely fun while it lasted.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would like to see all 4 of them in the ROH under a special placard LOB, Browner if he gets out of Jail, Earl, Sherm and Kam.

Latest posts