Secondary predictions.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Ken Norton has said he believes that Akeem King is the front runner for the nickel corner. With that in mind I wonder who your guys are in the secondary, I'm torn between the guys I like and who I think will ultimately get the job. Anyway my far too early prediction...

RCB - Flowers
LCB - Griffin
NCB - King
SS - Blair
FS - McDougald

Thoughts?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
That is probably how it will start.

However, I would like to see Flowers and Griffin swap sides. I lost a lot of faith in Griffin last season (perhaps he was just distracted by having his twin brother around, and all the fuss?). Perhaps he bounces back big in his 2nd full season at RCB, who knows.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He changed sides and had to re-learn which way to turn. Sounds simple but is harder to do than some appreciate.

I suspect the distraction of last season didn’t help either, but he was not bad at all the year before. I think it’d be a bad idea to put Flowers in the same position considering he played S in college.

Pn’J have faith in Griffin and they know more about him than we do. Maybe he was slowed by some injury we knew little
about.

The opening group described above is likely how it will start, but change may happen as the season progresses unless one of the draft picks amazes the coaches.

I think the team may now have some high potential depth

chris98251

Reaction score
This isn't flipping a coin, try switching hands and writing something out. Not to that degree but you have a lot more focus and have to change the technique and reverse it to make the words you want. Same idea flipping sides.

Some guys do it easily and pick it up fast, some guys just can't.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
chris98251":1k9pj87i said:
This isn't flipping a coin, try switching hands and writing something out. Not to that degree but you have a lot more focus and have to change the technique and reverse it to make the words you want. Same idea flipping sides.

The difference to me is which hand do you prefer to use to swat the ball away.

Following that rationale, I would think that right-handed CBs would prefer to play RCB, and left-handed CBs would prefer to play LCB.

Recall that most of the balls that Sherm swatted away were with his left hand, or at least that's the way that I remember seeing him do it repeatedly.

I appreciate that it's not a requirement but rather a preference.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":c21x5bsb said:
That is probably how it will start.

However, I would like to see Flowers and Griffin swap sides. I lost a lot of faith in Griffin last season (perhaps he was just distracted by having his twin brother around, and all the fuss?). Perhaps he bounces back big in his 2nd full season at RCB, who knows.

So risky to have Flowers take a step back moving him from his comfortable position. Griffin will either step up or find himself as a depth player. I wouldn't move Flowers

D

DomeHawk

onanygivensunday":1kcf62eg said:
chris98251":1kcf62eg said:

Following that rationale, I would think that right-handed CBs would prefer to play RCB, and left-handed CBs would prefer to play LCB.

Recall that most of the balls that Sherm swatted away were with his left hand, or at least that's the way that I remember seeing him do it repeatedly.

I get what you are saying here but which hand you swat with is determined by your body position at the time, not which hand you prefer. By the time you get to the NFL you should have that figured out by now. It would be like an NBA guard that can only go right, pretty easy to defend.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think Blair will beat out Hill. Hill was playing fantastic last year before the injury.

He's got experience and Blair will be in the wings.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3j6jzqj9 said:
onanygivensunday":3j6jzqj9 said:
chris98251":3j6jzqj9 said:

I get what you are saying here but which hand you swat with is determined by your body position at the time, not which hand you prefer. By the time you get to the NFL you should have that figured out by now. It would be like an NBA guard that can only go right, pretty easy to defend.

Look at O lineman, some cannot play on both sides for some reason and others do it seemingly with ease, some people are just way more dominant in what they use and not very ambidextrous.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I was in for the CB switch earlier, but now that I think about it. Its not a good idea having to re-learn everything from the start. It sounds easy, but we don't want to wait for transition progress. Its best to take what we have now and hopefully improve from it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":n1xw1jyg said:
RCB - Flowers
LCB - Griffin
NCB - King
SS - Blair
FS - McDougald

Thoughts?

I'd put Hill in Blair's spot. Experience plays a part. But also Hill was very active in year 2. Expect him to emerge this year strong.

King I think will be situational. He doesn't have the physical profile to succeed here against shiftier/quicker slot opponents. But he'll get work.

This secondary looks on paper to be extremely promising.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3l6w4wqt said:
UK_Seahawk":3l6w4wqt said:
RCB - Flowers
LCB - Griffin
NCB - King
SS - Blair
FS - McDougald

Thoughts?

I'd put Hill in Blair's spot. Experience plays a part. But also Hill was very active in year 2. Expect him to emerge this year strong.

King I think will be situational. He doesn't have the physical profile to succeed here against shiftier/quicker slot opponents. But he'll get work.

This secondary looks on paper to be extremely promising.

I remember someone here mentioned that Ugochukwu Amadi was going to be groomed to play in the slot?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":1saftf9t said:
I remember someone here mentioned that Ugochukwu Amadi was going to be groomed to play in the slot?

I'll believe it when I see it. Dude is absolutely awful athletically. Undoubtedly the worst athletic profile we've ever drafted. So we'll see. I didn't see anything to lead me to think he was worth drafting.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2t4qq5wl said:
raisethe3":2t4qq5wl said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Dude is absolutely awful athletically. Undoubtedly the worst athletic profile we've ever drafted. So we'll see. I didn't see anything to lead me to think he was worth drafting.

Pete said he will play FS and some NCB.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":16r2bdjr said:
DomeHawk":16r2bdjr said:
onanygivensunday":16r2bdjr said:
chris98251":16r2bdjr said:

Look at O lineman, some cannot play on both sides for some reason and others do it seemingly with ease, some people are just way more dominant in what they use and not very ambidextrous.

That has way more to do with the fact that those were the positions they played coming up, not how ambidextrous they are.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Largent80":3fbb0nt3 said:
LOL, Simeon Thomas as starting CB?....Can you say and spell D E L U S I O N A L?

I think he may be talking about UDFA CB Derrek Thomas. Was watching some of his highlights, and it looks like he has the kickstep down which is convenient, his coverage skills look decent as well. Time will tell.