Carroll is anti-replay

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2t8eaj6q said:
This really shouldn't be a surprise, given how bad the Seahawks are with challenges.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ant-replay
Not sure why the negative narrative. The Seahwaks are neither among the best nor among the worst at challenges.

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nfl-head-coaches-best-worst-challengers.html
https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/history-of-instant-replay/
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/...e-pete-carroll-challenge-flag-narrative-check

Maybe you think we're bad at them because we don't get our way often enough for your liking?

It's not particularly easy to find stats on this, but I found Carroll's rate from 2010 to 2015 was 45%. League-wide in that period there were 2463 challenges, of which 987 were upheld, which is an average of 40%.

So Carroll is 5 percentage points better than league average, but is bad at challenges, according to you.

At what point do we actually get behind our guys in stead of rubbishing them without even knowing the facts?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is like an incendiary news link sensationalizing the tagline in order to get you to click on it.

Less replay is not "anti-replay.".........and I agree with Pete, it's insane now, everytime something bad happens all the owners cry to the league and demand another rule change, and subsequent replay rule.

It's killing the game IMO. Too many stoppages, too many challenges, too much controversy. That's what Pete is talking about. He loves the gamer of football, and obviously thinks all these new replay rules isn't helping, it's hurting the game he loves.

mikeak

Reaction score
The issue IMHO is using the replay to look at super small details. Did the foot touch the last straw of grass, well it sure looks like it but his shoes are white and so is the line so we can't say 100% sure that it was in or out so after 5 minutes we all think we see that he was in, but out was called on the field so we are sticking with it.

I have for a long time felt that the reply should be from two to three angels (depending on what is available) at regular full speed, by three referees at the same time (all on the field) and they all call it as they see it and you go with the majority immediately.

It would take 30-60 seconds and to me if they can't tell then you just stick with the call. Yes you will get some things wrong, but it gets out from looking at it over and over again and in my mind isn't the spirit that we were looking for.

Calls like the one that the Saints didn't get is what should be done through replay - obvious, blatant misses that stands out. The rest - it is what it is move on

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thanks for the stats Kiwi. I had no idea. To hear some on here, we lose every challenge. As a somewhat casual observer during games, it certainly seems like the Hawks don't do a good job, but they are close to a coin flip.

What surprises me most is that the league average is worse. That's pretty impressively bad considering there are people in the booth watching these things and you'd think they'd only challenge if it was pretty close to a slam dunk.

To Sgt Largent's point - fair about the "anti" characterization. I'm okay with the replay situation as was with the challenges. I think adding PI is going to be a horrible, horrible mistake.

acer1240

Reaction score
I think your opinion on this HawkGA maybe stems from the actual timing of the challenges, not the validity. I've questioned many of those decisions in the past as well.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
After these last few seasons I'm becoming anti-replay, too. The pace of the game is becoming excrutiating.

Fade

Reaction score
Each coach gets only 1 challenge, but they can challenge anything.

Under 2 minutes all replay is handled by the booth.

All scoring plays, and turnovers are no longer put under auto-review. (This is what is slowing the game down.)

If the play is so aggreges let the coach burn his challenge to overturn it.

That would shave 30 mins of downtime ez peazy.

To get the game even more sped up they should get rid of the extra point, TDs are 7 points now. Teams would be able to risk a point to go for another to still be able to get the traditional 2 point conversion if they like.

Do not cut to commercial after a TD instead the playclock runs and the team has 40 secs. to kickoff going the other way.

That would shave another 45 mins of downtime further at least.

Get rid of halftime shows and just run commercials for 15 mins. To make up some of the ad revenue lost from going to commercial fewer times in games. Do the same for some of pre and post game as well if necessary. Charge more for ads if you have to.

You would still have TV timeouts for teams calling timeout, injuries on the field, 2 min warning, booth reviews under 2 mins, coaches challenges, end of quarter, end of half. Pregame, halftime, post game.

Too many damn commercials.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":37ttzkum said:

All scoring plays, and turnovers are no longer put under auto-review. (This is what is slowing the game down.)

To get the game even more sped up they should get rid of the extra point, TDs are 7 points now. Teams would be able to risk a point to go for another to still be able to get the traditional 2 point conversion if they like.

Do not cut to commercial after a TD instead the playclock runs and the team has 40 secs. to kickoff going the other way.

Get rid of halftime shows and just run commercials for 15 mins. To make up some of the ad revenue lost from going to commercial fewer times in games. Do the same for some of pre and post game as well if necessary. Charge more for ads if you have to.

You would still have TV timeouts for teams calling timeout, injuries on the field, 2 min warning, booth reviews under 2 mins, coaches challenges, end of quarter, end of half. Pregame, halftime, post game.

I like it. I’d vote for you for the commish. :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Although statistically we may not be at the bottom, we do lose some easy to call challenges that a quick tv replay can catch so those are mistakes that should not be happening in this day and age IMO. The replay is done before Pete even has to challenge in many instances. This is 2019 and that is sad to watch.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o2rbp1a said:
This is like an incendiary news link sensationalizing the tagline in order to get you to click on it.

Less replay is not "anti-replay.".........and I agree with Pete, it's insane now, everytime something bad happens all the owners cry to the league and demand another rule change, and subsequent replay rule.

It's killing the game IMO. Too many stoppages, too many challenges, too much controversy. That's what Pete is talking about. He loves the gamer of football, and obviously thinks all these new replay rules isn't helping, it's hurting the game he loves.

Agree 100%.

Tired of people clamoring to make rule changes that significantly impact the entertainment value of the game as a knee jerk reaction to a missed or bad call on the field. Just shut up and realize that a missed call is only like .00000001% of the factors that went into your team losing that game.

"but if they would have called PI our odds of winning would have been 90%!" some people will say. But that is only true when looking at the game in a vacuum that encompasses only a very tiny moment, which is a fallacious way of thinking

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":3qxz4ipj said:

I was thinking about this after my post. I like the challenge flag approach but reviewing every score and turnover is excessive. It's also not applied evenly. If the refs call a touchdown, it's reviewed but if they don't and it should have been, it doesn't necessarily get reviewed.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3gnet8ax said:
Fade":3gnet8ax said:

I like it. I’d vote for you for the commish. :2thumbs:

I would modify it to be the challenge gets restored if you win, no automatic challenges. No reason a team shouldn't be allowed to challenge again if they were correct and coaches would still be more careful what they challenge if they know they won't be able to challenge again if they lose.