DK Metcalf makes 1 handed catch look easy

sutz

Reaction score
One thing I've liked about most of our WR's in the PC era is the emphasis on catching with the hands.

Having big strong hands that can make the one-handed catch is a definite plus.

:2thumbs:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutely! Coming out of college, Michael Crabtree and ODB were both great hands catchers, and it was obvious from watching them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Nice catch.

I noted earlier, that DK has very strong, soft hands and tracks the ball well on throws away from his body. He doesn't double catch with any regularity on these kinds of throws.

These kinds of catches, we should see him really excel at. Over the shoulder or otherwise throws that he can go get it. He exhibits an exceptional catch radius and really attacks these balls strong and confidently.

What will bear watching is throws to his frame. He doesn't track these balls well. He didn't exhibit the same confidence in these cases. Hitches/curls and otherwise perfectly placed slants he has shown to have real, consistent trouble with.

No player is as good in college as they will be even after their first OTA/TC. If Metcalf can polish this aspect of his game, he stands to really be one of -- most likely -- the best players in this draft at any position. It may take more than this offseason. It may never happen. But clearly there are elements to his game short term that he can be wildly successful at right now.

This is one of them. I think Metcalf is going to be the first skill position teammate where Russell is going to have to adjust his own game significantly in order to maximize team potential.

D

DomeHawk

Was watching a program where they noted that the type of rubberized gloves receivers wear now is a significant contributor of the one-handed catch these days that receivers in the past didn't have.

DJrmb

Reaction score
DomeHawk":39mnubdu said:
Was watching a program where they noted that the type of rubberized gloves receivers wear now is a significant contributor of the one-handed catch these days that receivers in the past didn't have.

Did they say whether or not the tackiness or grip potential was more or less than that of Stick'um (which Jerry Rice admitted to using)? I know the gloves now days are really good, but I don't know if they're better than adhesives that have been snuck into games for years?

Lithium

Reaction score
Meh, I can do that. I can't do anything else that man can do but that's not too impressive to me. Go hawks!

djb28

Reaction score
Is that a 49er tackling dummy in the distance?

knownone

Reaction score
DJrmb":npqh30kv said:
DomeHawk":npqh30kv said:

Did they say whether or not the tackiness or grip potential was more or less than that of Stick'um (which Jerry Rice admitted to using)? I know the gloves now days are really good, but I don't know if they're better than adhesives that have been snuck into games for years?
The gloves are way more effective than stickum. It's not the stickiness that matters, it's the amount of friction you can create. Gloves have an anchor point, stickum does not.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3nme1edq said:
Nice catch.

I noted earlier, that DK has very strong, soft hands and tracks the ball well on throws away from his body. He doesn't double catch with any regularity on these kinds of throws.

These kinds of catches, we should see him really excel at. Over the shoulder or otherwise throws that he can go get it. He exhibits an exceptional catch radius and really attacks these balls strong and confidently.

What will bear watching is throws to his frame. He doesn't track these balls well. He didn't exhibit the same confidence in these cases. Hitches/curls and otherwise perfectly placed slants he has shown to have real, consistent trouble with.

No player is as good in college as they will be even after their first OTA/TC.
If Metcalf can polish this aspect of his game, he stands to really be one of -- most likely -- the best players in this draft at any position. It may take more than this offseason. It may never happen. But clearly there are elements to his game short term that he can be wildly successful at right now.

This is one of them. I think Metcalf is going to be the first skill position teammate where Russell is going to have to adjust his own game significantly in order to maximize team potential.

That bolded part is spot on. I used to read articles by "The Football Scientist," KC Joyner, and he always extrapolated between college production, and what a player might produce in the Pros. Most of his predictions were fairly accurate, and all predictions were for higher production in the Pros, and his reasoning behind it.

Joyner isn't the end all, be all of college evaluators, but I thought he was pretty good, and picked up a few tidbits reading his stuff. Haven't read it in years, but here's where he's at now:

https://www.thefootballscientist.com/

Smellyman

Reaction score
There could be a video of pretty much every receiver in the NFL catching a warm up toss like that.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Burner, big body, physical, high point a deep ball (now being thrown one from best deep ball throwing QB in the league), and “slipped” down the draft with chip on his shoulder...give me that dude all day.. but yea, this catch ugh.. personally watch ADB one hand an impossible ball in -15 degree weather.. that shit was insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabowl

Reaction score
Take the sticky glove off and see what happens. Not a knock on him but those gloves make even kids catch like Largent

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":p6j7hap2 said:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap3000001031295/Rookie-Premiere-D-K-Metcalf-makes-one-handed-catch-look-easy

What is up with that video and being in full uniform and the "Fake 49er in there???".. :?:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So he couldn't make that catch w/out the gloves? And you know this how?
Jerry Rice was the best of all time, wore gloves every game. I guess he was only good because of those gloves :lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1g2s0urr said:
That bolded part is spot on. I used to read articles by "The Football Scientist," KC Joyner, and he always extrapolated between college production, and what a player might produce in the Pros. Most of his predictions were fairly accurate, and all predictions were for higher production in the Pros, and his reasoning behind it.

I think one of my first posts here detailed the disassociation between drops in college vs. drops in the pros from years one to three. I want to say it was Antonio Brown's class (2010) so it would have been in 2013.

Not only were high drop rates not indicative of future performance -- but likewise low drop rates were similarly not persistent either. The overwhelming evidence across all spectrums led to the inescapable conclusion that drops in college (or lack thereof) weren't predictive at all.

However when looking at the other end (thrower), It was quite the opposite. QBs in college who have receivers that drop a lot of passes -- tended to also have professional receivers that dropped a lot of passes. Drop rates remained largely consistent. Although the sample size was much smaller -- probably a result of bad QBs in college not succeeding and thus unable to preserve a record at the professional level. Even that though should have culled the truly bad QBs and left remaining to examine - only the ones that got better. This didn't happen except with a very small handful of cases.

Without doing exhaustive work (and access to better statistical records), it appeared that drop rates were more a function of the QB throwing the ball, than the WR catching it.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":11j1zcmv said:
Without doing exhaustive work (and access to better statistical records), it appeared that drop rates were more a function of the QB throwing the ball, than the WR catching it.

No offense intended Attyla but I am reading your post and am finding it difficult to see how you arrived at your conclusion. I see some "shoulds" and "probably's" but nothing really substantive.

I don't think the scouts assessments are based on statistics of him or his QB but by watching lots of tape. This, in addition to his route tree problems. Does that mean he won't be a good NFL receiver. No, of course not, but that doesn't mean there isn't some merit there also.

sutz

Reaction score
From what I've been reading, Metcalf's only 'route tree problem' is that he didn't run enough different routes in games to develop a good feel of how good he is on the shorter/intermediate routes. That tends to happen in college, where coaches find something that works and keep going back to it.

I've read some comments that DK is doing fine so far running different routes in the rookie camp and the first couple of OTAs. We'll know better when they put pads on, of course, but I'm not ready to write him off as a one trick pony just yet.