Can They Afford top Keep Bobby Wagner?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well.........I don't think it was a coincidence that we drafted two MLB's this year, and it wasn't just to add depth to special teams.

I do think John and Pete want to keep Bobby, especially with how young the defense has gotten the past two years. But this potentially be another Clark situation where the market prices out what we have Bobby's value at.

So like Clark, yes we can afford it. But WILL we pull the trigger on 17M a year +?

This is right at the top of what I hate most about sports. Some other idiot GM overpays for players, and it screws every other team trying to negotiate. Thanks Mike Maccagnan, no wonder you got fired.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wagner is key part of the Seahawks team and is part of their plans going forward..

The team has the cap space next season to sign him to a major contract. The negotiations will continue as to the amount of such a contract but reality is that Wagner is if not the top 4-3 MLB or at least one of the best at his position in pro football and is healthy and engaged with seeing his team succeed.

Any contract the team and he reach will not involve any side breaking down or capitulating to demands but will involve an agreement between the parties. I believe a deal will get done in time.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I could see doing $17 million a year on just a two year contract.

Seymour

Reaction score
A smart team does not base an entire top contract on 1 other bad contract made by a GM that got fired over it. :177692: I hope Wagner is smart enough to see that. Pay him equal at maximum, or even 100K over for bragging rights, but 2+ million over would be a kiss of death for a 30 year old LB. Love ya Bobby....but don't be a boob!!

iigakusei

Reaction score
They can always tag him as well for less than what he probably wants out of a contract. Actually the Seahawks would be stupid not to. He isnt going anywhere for 3 years regardless unless we trade him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Does it help or hurt our negotiations with Bobby that he's representing himself?

He says he's a big boy and can take the nasty back and forth of a contract negotiations, but there's a reason players pay agents to do the dirty work. For not only negotiating the complex ins and outs of the contract, but to absorb the negative things GM's may say trying to get the price down.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":raoxr83f said:
Does it help or hurt our negotiations with Bobby that he's representing himself?

He says he's a big boy and can take the nasty back and forth of a contract negotiations, but there's a reason players pay agents to do the dirty work. For not only negotiating the complex ins and outs of the contract, but to absorb the negative things GM's may say trying to get the price down.
I think it hurts. Sherm and Okung did that IIRC and both are gone. :229031_shrug:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":31l6hs6r said:
Sgt. Largent":31l6hs6r said:

I think it hurts. Sherm and Okung did that IIRC and both are gone. :229031_shrug:

I don't think either was gone because they were trying to negotiate on their own, I think both were gone for different reasons. John and Pete were ready to move on from Okung, and ready to move on from Richard's mouth and overpriced contract to save cap space.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Okung was about money and emphasis, where Sherm and the other defensive players were recipient of such decision making. Sherm was about both injury AND buy in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1djbzwhe said:
Okung was about money and emphasis, where Sherm and the other defensive players were recipient of such decision making. Sherm was about both injury AND buy in.

For sure, and I do think it probably hurts the player more than the team.

I get wanting to save the 2% agent fee, but it's hard to imagine Bobby can negotiate a better deal (or even the same deal) as a good agent to make that savings worthwhile. Seems like every player that's tried to do their own negotiations has gotten a bad deal.

Plus you live in WA Bobby, no income tax. You're already getting more of your contract then you would in CA, NY or other income tax states.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":395kbk11 said:
vin.couve12":395kbk11 said:

For sure, and I do think it probably hurts the player more than the team.

I get wanting to save the 2% agent fee, but it's hard to imagine Bobby can negotiate a better deal (or even the same deal) as a good agent to make that savings worthwhile. Seems like every player that's tried to do their own negotiations has gotten a bad deal.

Plus you live in WA Bobby, no income tax. You're already getting more of your contract then you would in CA, NY or other income tax states.

I always thought it was in the realm of 10% which being your own agent can be helpful. For 2% it could be worthwhile having an agent. Bobby would likely have his attorney look the deal over to ensure he isn't going to get screwed in some way. But you pay a one time hourly fee for that.

Own The West

Reaction score
Yes, they can afford to keep Bobby Wagner.

And yes, Bobby wants Mosley money. I want Mosley money too.

But the market for LBs is Kuechly, not Mosley. I'm sure Bobby realizes that.

My guess is he signs a deal in the $13M/yr range with guaranteed money drying up in year 3.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
No one is going to give that kind of money to Keuchly. He's one hit away from retirement and in no way sets the market.