Poona Ford

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Depends upon how the competition works out and other variables such as health.

I think the team found a diamond from the scrap pile.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wasn't the team mostly abused on the edges with stretch plays or misdirection runs?

Sac

Reaction score
I remember screaming for them to put Poona in more, but he didn't really seem to get any significant reps until really late in the season.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sac":uvo4yt4v said:
I remember screaming for them to put Poona in more, but he didn't really seem to get any significant reps until really late in the season.
^ this. I hardly recall him ever being out there but yet a lot of people saying hes a future HOF'er like Tremaine Pope and Cj Procise...i think there is still a lot to prove here.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Disagree. I did pay attention to when he came in and he was an instant and massive upgrade to the run defense when Stephen sat his useless butt down. I could never figure out why he wasn't in more. Pete called Stephen "big and studly" a couple of times and I wondered just how much a visual representation influenced how much he played vs actual effectiveness. It was odd, but Poona was a bigtime upgrade over a vet that's played a lot of football.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I recall something early on about how Poona was a "gamer" and didn't look as good on the practice field. In PCs organisation, you get on the field by how well you compete in practice. It's possible Poona didn't practice well enough to break into the lineup until some injuries cleared the way for him.

getnasty

Reaction score
Poona Ford is held in higher regard the Jaren Reed around this place. I like the kid but damn lets pump the brakes on him be Aaron Donald 2.0

olyfan63

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1i3q7xin said:
Sac":1i3q7xin said:
^ this. I hardly recall him ever being out there but yet a lot of people saying hes a future HOF'er like Tremaine Pope and Cj Procise...i think there is still a lot to prove here.

Doggin my man Troymaine Pope again with comparisons to that lame has-been CJ Prosise. Now that Troymaine's had his abdominal surgery he'll light it up like he did on that national TV game where the Hawks beat New England in Foxborough in 2016 where Troymaine was the star, difference-maker. Prosise has never even had a meaningful carry in a regular season game. CJ Prosise is no Troymaine Pope, hell, he probably will never even be a Cardinal, much less a Pope. Prosise did have that 2-point conversion run to win the game at KC after future HOF QB Trevone Boykin threw a last-play TD to Hawks all-pro WR Tanner McEvoy, so there's that. What an amazing NFC championship game that was! But then in the Super Bowl Boykin threw that pick to Malcolm Butler. Why didn't Bevell call a run for Pope??!!

Damn dyslexia infection again, it was CJ Prosise who had the big game at RB in the road win over the NE Patriots in 2016. I gotta go get vaccinated for that dyslexia shit.

Anyway, Poona rules over both of them, because he made NFL first team, for the All-Names team.

Seriously for a moment, Poona was impressive in his limited minutes. For a UDFA like him to see the field in key situations late in the season, Pete clearly likes him. I just took it as Poona had a lot to learn as a rookie, and has made good progress. But hey, if he's a starting DT for us in September, it's for sure time to start talking about Canton. After we play the Vegas Raiders on the road, Poona is a lock for Canton. I mean, he'll be hungry after games, right? Book it. I'll go $100 on Poona for Canton. Canton Chinese Cuisine 1, just over an hour down the freeway from Vegas. Wait, it's buffet. His tab will be under $100. Never mind.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":12fjisb3 said:
Poona Ford is held in higher regard the Jaren Reed around this place. I like the kid but damn lets pump the brakes on him be Aaron Donald 2.0

I think you missed the point. It was only that his rating his rookie year was the same as Donald's because he played well when given a chance. Nobody is saying his ceiling is Aaron Donald at this point in his career.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":7be37658 said:
Oh thank you so much for stopping us before any of us pointed out something good on this team. Our savior. Without you we might head into the season with false hopes, but here you are, fighting the good fight to prevent that.

BTW, is your name supposed to be "getnasty" or "negnancy"?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, come on guys. How dare you have a positive outlook on a player. We can't have that around here! :snack:

And in what world did anyone here say he was Aaron Donald? We have a promising D Lineman, enjoy it :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":317vmoj8 said:
getnasty":317vmoj8 said:

I think you missed the point. It was only that his rating his rookie year was the same as Donald's because he played well when given a chance. Nobody is saying his ceiling is Aaron Donald at this point in his career.

BINGO!!!

It's the offseason and the guys who showed some promise last season are supposed to be talked up.

BTW it'd be nice if Poona could emulate Aaron Donald. I still believe the FO got a steal grabbing Poona as a UDFA as he showed us some promise at the end of last season. He now is in the convo for a starter's job or at least will be high on the rotation unless his play tapers off.

I very much doubt anyone reasonably could hold Poona in higher regard than Jarran Reed, but feel free to spin negativity into the discourse. With Reed one season doesn't put him in the range of top contracts but a second may just do it. It's hard to know what he should be paid.

Poona is still proving himself at a different level. He's fun to watch as so little was expected of him. Things will be different this season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, if Reed has another really solid year it will justify a nice contract for sure. As far as Poona goes, having an undrafted guy contribute for such a low cap number etc. is big. And depth is obviously extremely important.