Griffin brothers

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I suspect I'm in a minority but I'm getting pretty annoyed by the extensive non football related publicity and hype they seem to be surrounding themselves with. I wondered if anyone else shares my concern.

IMHO if they arent careful they stand to lose their NFL careers by concentrating on the journey rather than the destination.. Shaquille was borderline abysmal last year and Shaquem is a feel good ST player with no real role. I'm not sure how much of this is about ability or distraction currently.

As it stands their new book "Inseparable" will have the most ironic title if one or both get cut.

Edit: I do get that their story is a good one and needs to be told, I just want their play to define them and not the media circus.

sutz

Reaction score
Shaquill was playing a new position last season, having moved from RCB to LCB. That is perhaps more of a jump than many think. Shaqueem was a rookie, from a small school, in his first campaign.

If they scratch some publicity and money out of their situation, more power to them.

I expect Shaquill will do fine this year, his second at his new position. I also expect Shaqueem will improve his skill set this year. I'm very seldom prone to dumping on rookies for a couple of years after they are drafted. If they survive their first camp, they deserve the second and maybe third years to develop. That's what being a young player is all about.

Not sure how publishing a book hurts you personally, but hey, they worked hard to get where they are. They are earning it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Couple thoughts:

1. I don't know that they necessarily control the non football related publicity. I don't get a sense that they are actively trying to advance that kind of attention or interest.

2. Shaquill is a starter. And I don't think his football career is impacted at all. Shaquem's career is suspect. As one would expect from any garden variety 5th round pick. In fact, his career is largely indistinguishable from the vast majority of players picked 110th to 174th overall (141st selection). His only 'sin' is that he was also picked just ahead of Dickson and Flowers who really grossly overperformed their draft selections by pretty wide margins. If we step back and see how his peers did in year one, I think we could make a really easy case that expectations for him at this stage are too high because of the success we enjoyed with the others we selected in his range.

His career should be in jeopardy. Just as it is for all of the other 4th/5th round picks for all other teams in 2018's class. That's the nature of day three picks in general. Unsolicited publicity or not.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":1vvd4b63 said:
Queem is on the chopping block with the new additions. He had better step it up this year.

Agree.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete even said earlier this year that he's looking forward to Shaquem putting the distractions behind him and getting back to football.

But it's hard to blame the Griffins, they're a great story, and good young men. So I don't harbor any ill will or annoyance towards them for capitalizing on their fame to make money, and do good things.

Both have started charities, Shaquem started NubAbility, a charity to help disabled kids with congenital birth defects.

So yes, I hope both finds that healthy balance between being famous, and all those distractions.........and football. But mad? No, I can't go there.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
It’s the offseason . What would you rather read about ?

These guys are really good young guys who are inspiring millions .

IMHO I absolutely hate when people judge from a distance . We are all football fans. Talk good or bad about what’s going on between the lines . Foolish to sit here and say they shouldn’t be writing books or shouldn’t be doing commercials . You have no idea what goes on in their daily life .

I’m proud they are Seahawks !

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Queem to succeed. I'm sure he can, he's just kinda in a zone where he's a little shy on weight for LB. If he can get to the QB, I think he stays on.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It is the offseason and it is their free time. Professional athletes, much like the rest of us, are free to engage in activities outside of their chosen profession. Spending that free time cultivating positivity and inspiring others seems like a pretty productive way of spending their time away from the field.

They play sports for a team you cheer for. They don't live for you.

Rat

Reaction score
kobebryant":18p8mf54 said:
It is the offseason and it is their free time. Professional athletes, much like the rest of us, are free to engage in activities outside of their chosen profession. Spending that free time cultivating positivity and inspiring others seems like a pretty productive way of spending their time away from the field.

They play sports for a team you cheer for. They don't live for you.

Nobody is saying they aren't free to do whatever they want on their time, but it's fair to question whether the distraction is negatively impacting their football careers.

toffee

Reaction score
I felt like these two need to focus on football like they are about to be out of roster spots. They are not established stars that could afford to take have extracurricular activities, this is not the time for them to do all those fun things. This is time for them to spend 120% on football, nothing but football, their feel good story works when they are rocking in the nfl.

TreeRon

Reaction score
It's none of my business what they do, period. They'll win the prize or pay the price depending on their football skills. If one or both get "beat out" then great, the next guy is better and my team is better.
I'm a Seahawk fan, the whims and fancies of MOST of the individuals on the team do not concern my fandom.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":x6g8k3o0 said:
This. I would be real surprised if he makes the roster.

sutz

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":mhq0dhsx said:
Largent80":mhq0dhsx said:
I disagree. I think he will make the roster.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
sutz":21a477h9 said:
Seahwkgal":21a477h9 said:
Largent80":21a477h9 said:
I hope you are right cause I am rooting for the kid. :D

The Breh

Reaction score
Everybody's got a story to tell and a life outside of football they get to live.
There is a bigger picture that fans neglect to see because all they want from someone is a football player.
Let them guys live.

Largent80

Reaction score
They are livin the dream so I don't get the get off their back mentality.

We're fans and trying to be real about expectations. Who cares about what they do outside of the team.

AgentDib

Reaction score
sutz":128fmjmn said:
RIght now Shaquem looks like our 7th LB at best when we normally keep six. It's certainly possible but seems unlikely given our other roster constraints. We just added young depth at WR and DB that the team would like to use roster spots on for development, so it might come down to Shaquem vs. John Ursua, Jazz Ferguson, Ugo Amadi, etc.

I suspect his best shot at a roster spot is going to be poor circumstances elsewhere. Injuries in training camp, If things go poorly for Kendricks on sentencing, if Ansah misses extensive time at the beginning of the season (temporary slot until Ansah comes back), or if the Hawks decide not to carry a FB again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":34ovgcwq said:
Largent80":34ovgcwq said:

If we can keep CJ Prosise's under performing ass on the roster for the entire length of his rookie deal, we can sure as hell keep Shaquem.

At least Shaquem is a good special teams player and has the potential to be more. Bottom line, he contributes, so I'd be shocked if he was cut this year.

Now if he has another flat year where he fails to pick up the defense and doesn't contribute beyond special teams? Then it's trouble for him. But right now in year two of his rookie deal? He's cheap and contributes on special teams, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while.

Largent80

Reaction score
He's had one year with limited play. It's also pretty hard to say he is a good ST player with that limited exp.

What he does have going for him is that year of experience. But he still needs to step up his game to make the team.