McDowell Sued by the Seahawks

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Worthless lawsuit, worthless player, waste of time and effort.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Good for the club. It's the right thing to do. Sets a precedent should the Seahawks have another "McDowell" in their future... hopefully not.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3tq112x7 said:
Worthless lawsuit, worthless player, waste of time and effort.

Why is it a waste of effort to get back what the team is owed?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's a waste of time and effort b/c he's judgment proof.

He'll avoid paying it back, or won't have any ability to do so.

In principle if he had the $ of course it's the right thing to do. However, I predict an empty judgment.

I agree that it is the right thing to do as far as setting the precedent. Now it's an on the record situation we may find out the real story about what happened. It's now clear why there has been a wall of silence around this matter, arbitration now litigation.

The only ones who will get any return here are the lawyers.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It also sends a message to players about their off season activities which they are extensively briefed on after mini camp.

This guy decided riding in an ATV without a helmet at high speeds was ok. He made it to the NFL so he thought the well would never dry and his future was taken care of.

He probably snorted the $799 large by now.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Good for the team. MM really screwed himself and our team over. A huge mistake and he should pay for that mistake.
This isn't about getting back the $799k. The team is worth well over a billion so $799k is chump change. It sends a message. I was not aware the team held $800k of his signing bonus and kudos to them for that decision. We lose our draft pick and the expense of replacing MM with Sheldon Richardson. Wasted draft capitol.
Regarding a judgement, if we win and he ever gets signed by another team, we will get our $.
As mentioned, I figure he is probably broke by now. His med bills were most likely through the roof.

rjdriver

Reaction score
He should have the cash. According to MM, he’s rich. He said so while disparaging a first responder that he felt he could treat like crap with impunity because of his wealth.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
McDowell essentially has stolen money from the club. They have every right to file this suit and the player should go to jail if he fails to pay or have his wages garnisheed.

Will obviously take a sky cap many years to pay this debt back but you can't take money, ignore your contract specifics and then expect to keep said money.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
With the guy’s “decision making” ability, I guarantee that money has already been spent.
He’s either broke or close to it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Excellent! Squeeze that lemon for all it's worth IMO!

Glad they are not turning a blind eye to his stupidity and just letting him run with all the cash. :pukeface:

Seymour

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":30rgtd9w said:
Good for the team. MM really screwed himself and our team over. A huge mistake and he should pay for that mistake.
This isn't about getting back the $799k. The team is worth well over a billion so $799k is chump change. It sends a message. I was not aware the team held $800k of his signing bonus and kudos to them for that decision. We lose our draft pick and the expense of replacing MM with Sheldon Richardson. Wasted draft capitol.
Regarding a judgement, if we win and he ever gets signed by another team, we will get our $.
As mentioned, I figure he is probably broke by now. His med bills were most likely through the roof.

We actually lose 2 draft pics!! That Richardson trade cost us a 2nd so we lose the McDowell pic, the 2nd and Richardson in the end!!!
:pukeface:

chrispy

Reaction score
The referenced article quotes both Drew Rosenhaus and Jason Garrett linking MM to Dallas. If he ever gets signed anywhere, the bonus would have to be repaid. I wouldn't have thought that he had a chance of ever playing again, but that's not what the article indicates. It also says that his personal and third party docs cleared him to play and only the Seahawks docs failed to clear him.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Why haven't the Cowboys doctors cleared him?

Why?? Because there's a big difference between 3rd party doctors and NFL doctors.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
In a league hypersensitive to concussion issues a team doctor clearing a player with head injuries to play seems like a big risk for the doctor and maybe the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3c3rbqkw said:
In a league hypersensitive to concussion issues a team doctor clearing a player with head injuries to play seems like a big risk for the doctor and maybe the team.

Bingo.

With everything we now know about CTE, and more importantly with all these new class action lawsuits with ex-players suing the league, I HIGHLY doubt McDowell is going to find a team to medically clear him.

It doesn't matter how many personal doctors he gets to clear him, all that matters is the decision of the team doctors. Maybe McDowell and his agent/doctors can contest the decision? Idk, but the league's never going to take the word of personal doctors over their own team doctors that were vetted and are protected under the league's insurance policies.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5f8dodfq said:
JayhawkMike":5f8dodfq said:

Bingo.

With everything we now know about CTE, and more importantly with all these new class action lawsuits with ex-players suing the league, I HIGHLY doubt McDowell is going to find a team to medically clear him.

It doesn't matter how many personal doctors he gets to clear him, all that matters is the decision of the team doctors. Maybe McDowell and his agent/doctors can contest the decision? Idk, but the league's never going to take the word of personal doctors over their own team doctors that were vetted and are protected under the league's insurance policies.

Indeed! McDowell is on an expressway to CTE if he ever suits up again and no team Dr. worth his salt is going to risk incurring liability when McDowell would inevitabily sue down the road claiming he shouldn't have ever been cleared. It's a no-win situation for any team so I can't see any team taking such a huge risk.

And good for the Hawks initiating this suit. The arbitration ruling was final, never appealed and they are fully entitled to recoup payment and/or seek a lien.