Would Doug Baldwin make a good WR coach ?

Chawker

Reaction score
I'd like to see some former Seahawks players start coaching, if you don't think that Baldwin would be up to the task then let me hear who you think would be a good coaching candidate.
Cheers

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure if Angry wants to coach but there are a few past history to consider:

1. Super stars may not transform into good coaches, to those guys stuff just come either naturally or easy to learn so they don’t spend time in the ‘how’ or ‘what’ part of their crafts.

2. Opportunity for other stuffs to do. TV jobs or in case of our Angry; social stuff may rank higher than coaching receivers.

3. Conflicts of interests with existing coaching staffs.

I would love for Angry to be on the sideline injecting some Angriness into Metcalf of the world, but wouldn’t count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
It really comes down to what motivates a former player after his playing days are done. Coaching consumes a lot of time.

Pete has a long history of encouraging former players to try their hand at coaching. Austin Davis is a most recent example. This is Austin's first year as an assistant quarterbacks coach.

chris98251

Reaction score
Difficult to drop playing and move into coaching right away, having some separation first is best for a roster to turn over and for you to get away from where you played a bit. You have to change perspective as well as separate yourself from the guys you played with I think for the transition to work best.

Tical21

Reaction score
He'll be good at whatever he decides to pursue, but I think he has more important issues on his mind than coaching a sport that is gonna be gone in 20 years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think Angry Doug would make a *great* receivers coach.
Very smart guy, understands what it takes, and from listening to him talk and how his mind works, and his competitive streak that fuels his will to prepare, I think he would be very good at coaching. Can Doug dial back his competitiveness enough to *teach* young guys, with a degree of patience? Well, *teaching* is what Pete Carroll coaching staffs are typically the *best* at (Tom Cable fiasco notwithstanding) and learning while being part of a Pete Carroll staff, I think Doug could become as good or better of a coach than he was as a player.

Kam is another guy with potential as a coach. Probably also KJ when he's done. And let's not forget Russell; I think Russell *will* be an outstanding coach and/or GM someday. If that's what Russell wants. And let's even toss Justin Britt into the mix as a potential coach after he hangs it up.

toffee

Reaction score
olyfan63":2pm1335x said:
I think Angry Doug would make a *great* receivers coach.
Very smart guy, understands what it takes, and from listening to him talk and how his mind works, and his competitive streak that fuels his will to prepare, I think he would be very good at coaching. Can Doug dial back his competitiveness enough to *teach* young guys, with a degree of patience? Well, *teaching* is what Pete Carroll coaching staffs are typically the *best* at (Tom Cable fiasco notwithstanding) and learning while being part of a Pete Carroll staff, I think Doug could become as good or better of a coach than he was as a player.

Kam is another guy with potential as a coach. Probably also KJ when he's done. And let's not forget Russell; I think Russell *will* be an outstanding coach and/or GM someday. If that's what Russell wants. And let's even toss Justin Britt into the mix as a potential coach after he hangs it up.

Kam and certainly KJ seems to have the temperament for coaching. Coaching is hard business, let's not forgot Bev the great:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DougBaldwinJr/status/1127772111206998017[/tweet]

bloodkingg

Reaction score
I really don't think he'd be that good. He'd be frustrated whenever someone doesn't have the same passion he had. Especially someone from a more privileged situation.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I think he would be a great WRs coach. Its a mind set of tasks which like playing, I know he can do. Hes young and can relate to the younger kids comming into the league, he is precise in his actions as a WR and can teach them how to handle situation when things don't go as planned. I know he can do it, if given the chance. :stirthepot:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Tical21":r2mgqfvt said:
He'll be good at whatever he decides to pursue, but I think he has more important issues on his mind than coaching a sport that is gonna be gone in 20 years.

Exactly this. Just the way he's wired I don't see him as a football-only guy. I imagine when he steps away from the game it will be for a little while

chris98251

Reaction score
His interest is Social issues and fighting against injustices and wrongs done to people, something he has been outspoken about almost his whole career here.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Tical21":25fmm93e said:

Exactly this. Just the way he's wired I don't see him as a football-only guy. I imagine when he steps away from the game it will be for a little while

olyfan63

Reaction score
toffee":34bieq3l said:
Coaching is hard business, let's not forgot Bev the great:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DougBaldwinJr/status/1127772111206998017[/tweet]

Love Bevell, or hate Bevell, there are a handful of meaningful and objective things that can be said about him:

1) He managed to get another NFL OC job after Seattle, now Detroit's OC, so at least one other team believes him to be an NFL-level talent still.

2) Bev had the misfortune of trying to make plays work on top of the "foundation" of a Tom Cable O-Line.

3) Bevell's offense got the Hawks to, and WON, a Super Bowl. Bevell's offense got the Hawks to, and LOST, a second Super Bowl.

4) Bevell is a piece of poo for throwing Ricardo Lockette under the bus after "the pick" in SB49, such a hypocrite, calling out a player when it was Bevell's lack of situational awareness and poor decisions that put that player in that position.

In hindsight, Bevell probably neither sucks as bad as the weekly "Fire Bevell!" threads suggested, nor is he the anointed one true guru of NFL offensive wisdom.

If Baldwin still likes and respects Bevell, that's a data point on the positive side.

Seymour

Reaction score
Excellent idea!!

He would be great at teaching SuperBowl touchdown celebrations in particular! Lead by example....correct?? :roll: