Russ wants to play until he's 45.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't. He's thickly built, and the game has changed to protect the QB.

Seahawks' Russell Wilson 'just getting started,' goal to play 'til 45

By Michael Silver Updated: June 3, 2019 at 12:23 p.m.

The eighth-year veteran discussed the arc of an already stellar career virtually no one saw coming -- one which began with him seizing the starting job as an undersized third-round draft pick, continued with a pair of Super Bowl trips that left him two feet away from hoisting back-to-back Lombardis and, in 2018, saw him spur one of the sport's most stunning rebuild-on-the-fly success stories in recent memory -- in a manner that portrayed his entire body of work as a mere launching point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... lay-til-45

ivotuk

Reaction score
These quotes are from the State of the Franchise article, but they reference RW and the Passing game.

Russell Wilson. Wilson is on the cusp of being regarded as the best quarterback in the NFL.

Wilson threw 35 touchdown passes last year, tied for third in the league with Matt Ryan. His 8.2 % touchdown rate trailed only Patrick Mahomes' figure of 8.6 %.

and a big reason for this was Lockett, who had a breakout season in Year 4 with 10 receiving touchdowns. Yes, that's more touchdowns than some big-name receivers managed in 2018, like Michael Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones. Wilson had a perfect passer rating when targeting Lockett, according to Next Gen Stats. That's incredible.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... endingNews

IndyHawk

Reaction score
45 is not happening..Anyone want to post bets on this?Please do.. :snack:

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":39o05tnd said:
I don't. He's thickly built, and the game has changed to protect the QB.

Seahawks' Russell Wilson 'just getting started,' goal to play 'til 45

By Michael Silver Updated: June 3, 2019 at 12:23 p.m.

The eighth-year veteran discussed the arc of an already stellar career virtually no one saw coming -- one which began with him seizing the starting job as an undersized third-round draft pick, continued with a pair of Super Bowl trips that left him two feet away from hoisting back-to-back Lombardis and, in 2018, saw him spur one of the sport's most stunning rebuild-on-the-fly success stories in recent memory -- in a manner that portrayed his entire body of work as a mere launching point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... lay-til-45

That's some sweet sounding word craft highlighted there ......... thanks for posting ......... uplifting article :2thumbs:

I would add that I think Wilson continues to benefit from a humble willingness to learn, adjust and grow. Do what ever it takes. I'm confident that the very best of Wilson is yet to unfold before our eyes.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's not that he says he wants to play till he is 45, it's when he quits saying he wants to play till he is 45 and wants to be the best we need to worry.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Where is everyone complaining that we wouldn't be able to sign anyone else in the next 15 years while russ is taking up all the cap room?

Donn2390

Reaction score
Everybody thinks they are Superman when they are 30 years old, he will change his mind after a few more years and a few more aches and pains.. 30 years old he is just now reaching maturity, he has a lot to learn about life and health...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In today's game why is this so hard to believe? Yes, Russ is the 3rd most sacked QB last year...However, he also is one of the most smartest QBs when it comes to protecting himself. Remember RG3? Dude would get lit up like a mosquito meeting a windshield on nearly every running play. Russ don't play that.

Yes, he may get sacked but he's not getting lit up on running plays like some do. With his attention to nutrition and exercise and "no time for sleep" mentality, AND how the league is so protective of the QB these days I see absolutely no reason why Russ couldn't survive until 45.

sc85sis

Reaction score
45 is a stretch. I could see 40 if he takes care of himself and is a little lucky.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's not likely, but if anyone can do it, he's the guy. Shoot, Brady has said he wants to do it for years. Nothing wrong with big time goals.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
sc85sis":2feiitsj said:
45 is a stretch. I could see 40 if he takes care of himself and is a little lucky.
I agree with this.

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":6t9okk5d said:
45 is not happening..Anyone want to post bets on this?Please do.. :snack:

Since the odds are against it without any doubt...I'll take 4 to 1 odds for $100.00 on that. :2thumbs:

Osprey

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of 'play'. If he goes the Warren Moon route and is willing to be a back up mentor for the last few years its very likely.

Given the advances in nutrition, training, and treatments combined with modern rules, Russ should be physically capable of starting at least to 40 and possibly more.

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe, but very unlikely at a high level.

That's not an insult though; it has literally never been done before. The best part of his game (physically anyway) historically fades well before 40; he can do other stuff well, and he has the work ethic to continue to improve at those, but still, he is much, much less dangerous when his legs aren't so much of a threat. He's a pretty stout guy too, so I wouldn't bet on his body holding up THAT long.

I'd be thrilled if he lasts as a upper-echelon starter until 38.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Define "play".
If he means to play like he is currently playing and being effective then I just don't see it. Russ plays a different style than Tom Brady. Father time will eventually catch up to him and the legs are the first thing to go. IF Russ can adapt and play Brady style, then it might be possible. I just don't like the odds.

xray

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2th0nsx2 said:
Define "play".
If he means to play like he is currently playing and being effective then I just don't see it. Russ plays a different style than Tom Brady. Father time will eventually catch up to him and the legs are the first thing to go. IF Russ can adapt and play Brady style, then it might be possible. I just don't like the odds.
Correct...Wilson's play style isn't conducive to a career to 40 let alone 45. Getting older and slower happens to everyone in pro sports . As his speed slows the chances of more hits and sacks will naturally follow ; and then the injuries follow that. If he can dial back his scrambling to a minimum he could probably play for quite awhile ; but 45 ? Doubtful ..IMO

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":3ptuzlkw said:
In today's game why is this so hard to believe? Yes, Russ is the 3rd most sacked QB last year...However, he also is one of the most smartest QBs when it comes to protecting himself. Remember RG3? Dude would get lit up like a mosquito meeting a windshield on nearly every running play. Russ don't play that.

Yes, he may get sacked but he's not getting lit up on running plays like some do. With his attention to nutrition and exercise and "no time for sleep" mentality, AND how the league is so protective of the QB these days I see absolutely no reason why Russ couldn't survive until 45.

Not sure how you can say these two things in the same sentence............how can Russell be one of the most sacked QB's AND one of the smartest.

Brady is smart, he never takes a hit. Russell may have a very high football IQ, but he's a risk taker, he uses his legs to buy time and make plays downfield. Downside is it results in Russell getting hit and sacked a lot.

That's awesome, and the results are awesome. But it's not a good playing style if you want to play QB into your 40's.

Not saying Russell can't play into his 40's if he continues to make football his #1 priority, stays in shape and keeps his work ethic and competitive edge. But IMO if Russell wants to play til he's 45 he's going to have to change his approach on the field, and take less risks with his body buying time. Not sure he can do that, but we shall see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n69pgd0u said:
Aros":n69pgd0u said:

Not sure how you can say these two things in the same sentence............how can Russell be one of the most sacked QB's AND one of the smartest.

Brady is smart, he never takes a hit. Russell may have a very high football IQ, but he's a risk taker, he uses his legs to buy time and make plays downfield. Downside is it results in Russell getting hit and sacked a lot.

That's awesome, and the results are awesome. But it's not a good playing style if you want to play QB into your 40's.

Not saying Russell can't play into his 40's if he continues to make football his #1 priority, stays in shape and keeps his work ethic and competitive edge. But IMO if Russell wants to play til he's 45 he's going to have to change his approach on the field, and take less risks with his body buying time. Not sure he can do that, but we shall see.

Wilson extends plays and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but he will take a sack doing so that Brady will just dump the ball into the turf on that same type of play. Brady also has had a better line as well as a better OC designing plays up until Schotty was hired who is trying to work with Wilson on a lot of his reading and timing for releasing the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":foygq0l9 said:
Sgt. Largent":foygq0l9 said:
Aros":foygq0l9 said:

Wilson extends plays and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but he will take a sack doing so that Brady will just dump the ball into the turf on that same type of play. Brady also has had a better line as well as a better OC designing plays up until Schotty was hired who is trying to work with Wilson on a lot of his reading and timing for releasing the ball.

Right, this is what I'm saying...........the fact is Russell's greatest strength as QB, his ability to create and extent plays might be the reason he won't be able to play until he's 45.

He is very good at getting down and avoiding the big hit, but he still gets sacked a lot. That doesn't bode well for the beating his body's going to take over the next 10 years if he plans on playing into his 40's.