How good can Tyler Lockett be?

toffee

Reaction score
With the retirement of Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro the next two seasons. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

How good can this guy be? Can he be our #1 WR for the next 3-4 years?

mrt144

Reaction score
toffee":3ml1nthv said:
With the retirement of the Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro 2nd team as a soph. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

I think he can be freaking fantastic. There is nothing in his body of work that suggests he doesn't have 'it' so far. My impression has been that he isn't a fit for some role archetypes like say full time slot receiver based on the characteristics of his body. He's been there and done well in spite of it. I think that he isn't the platonic deal physically for a lot of WR roles (not a big body possession WR, not a blocking beast with lateral agility out of the slot, etc etc) but feed him the rock and he does the damn thing capably.

Largent80

Reaction score
mrt144":1gws94wn said:
toffee":1gws94wn said:
With the retirement of the Angry the Great, isn't Tyler our longest tenured WR? He showed what he could do last season, with and without help from Baldwin. I almost forgot that he was a pro-bowler as a rookie, and an all-pro 2nd team as a soph. Quite glad that our front office pick Lockett over Richardson for contract extension, which he rewarded their trust with a breakout season.

I think he can be freaking fantastic. There is nothing in his body of work that suggests he doesn't have 'it' so far. My impression has been that he isn't a fit for some role archetypes like say full time slot receiver based on the characteristics of his body. He's been there and done well in spite of it. I think that he isn't the platonic deal physically for a lot of WR roles (not a big body possession WR, not a blocking beast with lateral agility out of the slot, etc etc) but feed him the rock and he does the damn thing capably.

Perfect. You have him all figured out?

Ummm...NO, the guy has elite speed, he doesn't have the quick moves of Baldwin. He is esentially an outside guy that can play a few snaps at slot to confuse the defense.

Thank GAWD you aren't an OC , or anywhere near a coaching staff.

Attack the post, not the poster. No reason for anything to be personal.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I think Lockett is more talented than Baldwin. What made Angry Doug so good was his intelligence. He had a habit of outsmarting the DB and getting open when our QB needed it. I think Lockett did a great job learning from Doug, and is more than ready to step into his role.

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
We should see a year that can compare with last year. He was almost perfect last year. I think he is a gifted player but he could be one bad hit away from long term injury list. Last year Doug was out three games (and still not 100% for others) last year and Tyler filled in as good as he possibly could. With no Doug this year. Tyler will get a lot of focus by defenses. I'm glad he will not me returning many punts and kickoffs this year (mostly to reduce the rick of injury). He is too important to us this year. I just hope some of the other receivers can step up take on some of the load. Last year I wished Tyler would not try to run back some of the kicks. several times we would have got better field position with a touch back. Tyler also did a great job of getting out of bounds and not getting hits last year.
I love seeing Tyler on the team, but I would like to see him on the team over the next four years or more. I just worry about him getting blown up.

Roger

Largent80

Reaction score
What made Doug great was his footwork and getting off the ball, and then his absolute toughness.

He was a one of a kind. Lockrtt is no Baldwin but he is Tyler Lockett.. and that ain't bad.

He doesn't have near Baldwin's first step but he's getting better each year. I'm a fan.

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":2dwycwha said:
mrt144":2dwycwha said:
toffee":2dwycwha said:

Perfect. You have him all figured out?

Ummm...NO, the guy has elite speed, he doesn't have the quick moves of Baldwin. He is esentially an outside guy that can play a few snaps at slot to confuse the defense.

Thank GAWD you aren't an OC , or anywhere near a coaching staff.

Attack the post, not the poster. No reason for anything to be personal.

Wow, what other conversational baggage are you bringing to the table with this response? ;)

Parse what I wrote. I think he can be really really good. There is nothing to suggest he can't be. I have caught wind of conversations on .net that suggest he doesn't fit specific roles that supposedly need filling and acknowledge that. But regardless of a specific idealized and archetypal role he doesn't fit into in terms of need, he flat out performs in what he does which is exactly what you state, speed on the outside, separation and athleticism in catch radius and hands.

Sheesh man, put down your sword for a moment and find the disagreement. ;)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
[youtube]YpkeHy9Y44Y[/youtube]Putting on more muscle to get stronger.

Tical21

Reaction score
He can be the perfect compliment to D.K.

Jville

Reaction score
Tical21":3skpr8xj said:

That sounds like a reasonable corollary to the prospect of DK developing into the perfect compliment to Tyler Lockett. :biggthumpup:

Maulbert

Reaction score
Tical21":3045ohyb said:

Donkey Kong?

[youtube]RcP91tQ4ZSM[/youtube]

** Thread Hijacking **

Please make an effort to stay on topic in every thread, regardless of forum.

If you want to branch out and talk about a different topic, please do so in a new thread!

We realize that some threads will evolve and change, but do not jump into a topic and change the course of the thread!

Rules and guidelines link >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Lockett and Schotty have been talking up Jaron Brown, May be JB will evolve into one of the slot candidates? Perhaps we may use a committee of WRs rotating in and out of spot duties. Which could make it hard to predict? We have three tall fast dudes, JB, Darboh, and Gary; 3 smaller quick dudes Reynolds, Lockett and Ursua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jville":zgwh7x34 said:
Tical21":zgwh7x34 said:

That sounds like a reasonable corollary to the prospect of DK developing into the perfect compliment to Tyler Lockett. :biggthumpup:
My face when multiple people don't know the difference between "compliment" and "complement"...

girl-504315_640.jpg

chris98251

Reaction score
Lockett is not a possession receiver, he would be ate alive on third downs being asked to do what Doug did, could be why they drafted and signed a shit load of F.A guys that can play the slot and be a possession guy.

Some of you really need to understand receiver rolls, Lockett is about a move and then speed, Doug is about get off and separation and then position to catch and not allow it to be intercepted and making sure his route breaks at a first down marker or the targeted spot.

Maulbert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3esxdu1t said:
Jville":3esxdu1t said:
Tical21":3esxdu1t said:

My face when multiple people don't know the difference between "compliment" and "complement"...

girl-504315_640.jpg

:sarcasm_on: Careful, Roland. Jville might chastise you for going off topic. :sarcasm_off:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":n12cwhgn said:
What made Doug great was his footwork and getting off the ball, and then his absolute toughness.

He was a one of a kind. Lockrtt is no Baldwin but he is Tyler Lockett.. and that ain't bad.

He doesn't have near Baldwin's first step but he's getting better each year. I'm a fan.

Doug was all of that, but he was also extremely intelligent and knew how to work really well Russ. They were constantly in synch and Russ knew what Doug was going to do and when he was going to do it. Think Brady and Edelman.

Athletically, Doug had elite quickness and side to side agility. He is very close to owning the combine record for 3 and 5 cone drill times.

Own The West

Reaction score
Sac":2egbfjwh said:
Lockett is the next Antonio Brown.

^ this.

I don't get where people are saying he has to be in the slot or he's not quick or he's no ADB. The guy breaks ankles, can kick in the afterburner, and has great hands. ADB was our #1 only due to experience and Tyler's 2016 injury, but I don't see any drop off between the two. In fact, I'd say Tyler is a more sudden athlete.

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":33o98dhd said:
Jville":33o98dhd said:
Tical21":33o98dhd said:

Somehow I actually never knew this was a word. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone use it correctly.

Largent80

Reaction score
How good can he be?...How about as good as he was last year. RW had a 100% efficiency rate throwing to him.