Jay Glazer's QBs he'd choose over Baker Mayfield

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Baker Mayfield is going to be a good QB. He's got elite WRs, one of the best OLines in the NFL, good running backs, and a bunch of high draft picks on the defense. So he's got a talented team in front of him.

And Baker played well his rookie year. Even so, Russell Wilson's first year was slightly better, and I'd argue Russell had a tougher road to hoe his first year. Especially opening up against the Cardinal's defense. Whisenhunt's team started off great that year at 4 - 0. Beating Seattle, New England, Philadelphia, and Miami. Then they fell off a cliff. (Brian Hoyer, Ryan Lindley anyone?)

Then the 11-4-1, Superbowl Bound 49ers.

Seattle went 11-5 in 2012 and should have been in the NFC Championship, but the defense laid an egg in Atlanta.

All their losses that year were away games. At the Cardinals, at the lowly Jeff Fisher led Rams, at the 49ers, at the Lions, at Miami, and finally, at Atlanta.

The trajectories their rookie year are completely different.

Last year the Browns beat the Jets at home, the Ravens at home, the Falcons at home, the Bengals at Cincinatti, the Panthers at home, the Broncos at Denver, and Cincinatti again, this time at home.

Not exactly powerhouses there...

But don't get me wrong. I'm rooting for Cleveland and think they have an outside chance of making the playoffs. But I also believe that they are one and done.

But Jay Glazer putting Mayfield above Russell Wilson? LOL Based on what standards? :34853_doh:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... lsRu00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... yfBa00.htm

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Based on the fact that it's Russell Wilson. Even when he's sitting in the Hall of Fame, people will claim he wasn't that great.

Rat

Reaction score
I get why at least some people would take Mayfield over Russ for their teams NOW, seeing as he's six years younger, but then I saw that Glazer mentioned Brady and Rodgers, so I don't know what that's about.

Mayfield is damn good though. Browns are lucky to have him going forward. That's not to say he's better than Russ, but I think there are two previously downtrodden franchises who found the perfect guy for them.

Russ gets an appropriate amount of respect around the league though, as much as certain fans with a martyr complex would like to believe he doesn't.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Mayfield too, didn't think I would. However, he needs to do a LOT more before he is in the same stratosphere as Russ. Let alone the other top QB's in the league.

Largent80

Reaction score
Wilson is light years ahead of Mayfield with his experience and that's a major point. Mayfield has the skills and he has no excuses whatsoever with all those high draft picks on that team.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Look at it this way, if you're a professional opinion person, you don't get talked about if you base your opinions on convention and logic. You get talked about by having a HOT TAKE which generates BUZZ AND CLICKS.

Also don't forget the all important NARRATIVE which we must feed incessantly -- and the narrative all over is that Cleveland is going to blow up this year and win 15 games or something stupid like that. If your HOT TAKE feeds your PRE DETERMINED NARRATIVE then it's INTERNET GOLD!!!

Believe me, if Jay Glazer was being paid to actually coach football he would want Russell Wilson ahead of most other QBs in the league including Baker. That said, I wouldn't be 100% shocked if Baker had a better 2019 than Russell but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd say 20% chance.

Seymour

Reaction score
You can't fix stupid so I refuse to click that garbage. He was already on my overrated blowhard list but now he tops it with that dumb ass opinion. :pukeface:

Largent80

Reaction score
If you are a running team of course your QB's numbers will be smaller. But look at Wilson's numbers and even more, the intangibles he instantly brings on every snap.

I'm not sure there is a better QB in the league than him.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Remember when Wentz was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Let's see how Mayfield and Mahomes do with a few more games/seasons under their belt.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, just look at Russ' rookie year. He had a much bigger impact than Mayfield. 11-5 Record, 64.1 completion percentage, 26 TD and 10 picks (10 is high for him), a playoff WIN, and a defensive breakdown from having the team in the NFC Championship. He lead that comeback w/less than a minute to play which should have put them in the Title Game at San Fran....as a ROOKIE. Shoot, the rest of his numbers stand on their own. Let alone all the pro bowls, playoff wins, back to back Super Bowls, carrying the team w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen etc.
Like I said, I like Mayfield, but these types of articles are hilarious.

chris98251

Reaction score
I like Mayfield, I like his swagger and no BS mentality, he is a good QB but like Mahomes you need a body of work, Wilson was a product of our defense then a product of the running game with Lynch by many opinions initially, it was when he performed with those pieces broken or the Line gone or Lynch and others moving on that he began to actually get recognized a lot more for his ability. A body of work so to speak working with a lot of different weaknesses and strength as a team.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2bsrh9ce said:
Shoot, just look at Russ' rookie year. He had a much bigger impact than Mayfield. 11-5 Record, 64.1 completion percentage, 26 TD and 10 picks (10 is high for him), a playoff WIN, and a defensive breakdown from having the team in the NFC Championship. He lead that comeback w/less than a minute to play which should have put them in the Title Game at San Fran....as a ROOKIE. Shoot, the rest of his numbers stand on their own. Let alone all the pro bowls, playoff wins, back to back Super Bowls, carrying the team w/one of the worst O Lines we have ever seen etc.
Like I said, I like Mayfield, but these types of articles are hilarious.
You wouldn't trade Russ today for Mayfield and his contract?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is that even a question? Hell no. I give up man, you're never gonna' get it with Russ. That's ok. Go Hawks :irishdrinkers:

Largent80

Reaction score
Tical21":87dvpex4 said:
You wouldn't trade Russ today for Mayfield and his contract?

Obviously you are talking his current contract because in a mere few years RW's contract will be small potatoes compared to what HE will get even if he doesn't pan out.

I wouldn't even think about swapping them.

xray

Reaction score
Freshman QBs like Mayfield and Mahomes who was barely more than a rookie were new to the defenses they played against. There is a lot of tape on those guys now. If they can still put up the stats in year 2 ; than they are pretty good. One year in the NFL doesn't always show how the career will succeed or fail. Examples like Troy Aikman come to mind...wasn't he the worst QB in the NFL his rookie year ?

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3oebd5av said:
I like Mayfield, I like his swagger and no BS mentality, he is a good QB but like Mahomes you need a body of work, Wilson was a product of our defense then a product of the running game with Lynch by many opinions initially, it was when he performed with those pieces broken or the Line gone or Lynch and others moving on that he began to actually get recognized a lot more for his ability. A body of work so to speak working with a lot of different weaknesses and strength as a team.

Correction for them.... Lynch was a product of Wilson.

Lynch 2011 without Wilson 1204 yards 4.2 YPC
Lynch 2012 with Wilson 1590 yards 5.0 YPC......by far his best season.

Adding the RO and Wilson with his threat to run was a big part of Lynch's success here.

quadsas

Reaction score
It's very popular to disrespect Russ, it almost seems like it's encouraged to shit on him by talking heads, so I am not shocked that people are still constantly coming out with such hot takes. How many 'big' analysts/broadcasters were praising Russell first few seasons? Really hate him or love him, Cowherd was pretty much the only one who instantly said that Russell is brilliant and is heading for all time greatness, even after his rookie season.