Has Bobby Wagner extension been impacted by crowded LB room?

xray

Reaction score
With the signing of Cody Barton the LB group is the deepest position on the team at this time. Will extending Wagner still be a top priority for the FA ? I hope they have enough sense to extend the future HOFer ASAP.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm sure that the number of bodies in the room will have no bearing on the attempt to re-sign Wags. No rookie is taking his job.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's tricky. They've been burned by how many 3rd contracts and players hitting the age he is hitting? I mean he looks great, but he's right at that age where almost every middle linebacker falls off a cliff.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

Our LB room is full of bodies, but let's see them in real game action before calling it deep. We have plenty of questions still to be answered.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Would Bobby be willing to sign a short-term extension for no more than 3 years? I'd be okay with that length.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
nwHawk":1rjoq6xl said:
I would have no concerns about signing Bobby to a 3 year deal. Could he get hurt, sure. But that can happen anytime to any player.

Our LB room is full of bodies, but let's see them in real game action before calling it deep. We have plenty of questions still to be answered.
He wants a 5 year deal like Mosely with more money of course . He will not give a discount either. Personally I have no problem giving him what he wants. He's just 29 and has been mostly healthy his whole career ; and is the best at his position in the NFL. If they want to make a SB run soon they need him as much as they need Wilson . IMO...extend him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":3q3vfck1 said:
Would Bobby be willing to sign a short-term extension for no more than 3 years? I'd be okay with that length.

No. Bobby wants a five year deal and more guaranteed money than Mosley...........and he'll get it. This is a young defense, a very young defense. We desperately not only need Bobby's play, but we desperately need him to anchor the defense, captain it, and be the defensive leader.

MLB's can play well into their mid 30's, don't be worried about a five year deal with Bobby.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":75yc733g said:
CalgaryHawk":75yc733g said:

No. Bobby wants a five year deal and more guaranteed money than Mosley...........and he'll get it. This is a young defense, a very young defense. We desperately not only need Bobby's play, but we desperately need him to anchor the defense, captain it, and be the defensive leader.

MLB's can play well into their mid 30's, don't be worried about a five year deal with Bobby.
So much this. Spot on! :2thumbs:

nwHawk

Reaction score
He might get 5 years, but I would think the contract would be written to allow us to cut him after the 3rd year without to much dead money. Otherwise, it might be next man up, which would be sad.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see the team get this distraction put in the rearview mirror.

Wagner's worth 5yrs certainly and after the Jets screwed up the LBs $, close to Mosley money.

JS, get this deal done.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team usually keeps 6-7 players at the position. The final number depends upon injury and other intangibles.

After Wagner and Wright the questions begin. Will Kendricks be available or sentenced to jail? I can't see the team releasing Barton or Burr-Kirven, and believe Shaquem will survive another season but nothing is for certain. His exceptional speed is worth keeping around for ST though. Mingo might be on the bubble b/c of his cap number but played acceptably well last season. This leaves Justin Currie, Austin Calitro, Emmanuel Ellerbee hard on the bubble.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nwHawk":l66rf5yx said:

That's not what people said about Sherman, Earl, or Bennett in retrospect.

What they said was "no more big contracts to old guys".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3q4oghsa said:
nwHawk":3q4oghsa said:

That's not what people said about Sherman, Earl, or Bennett in retrospect.

What they said was "no more big contracts to old guys".

It was more like "no more big contracts to guys who are negative pains in the ass distractions." Bobby's done nothing but buy in, behave and be a great model teammate, leader and citizen.

So I have no doubt that's going to be the main reason he's not treated the same as the players you mentioned, by fans or our front office..........and given the extension.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Well said Sgt.

Plus, Bobby is still at the top of his position while being a model Seahawk. He's a player fans can really appreciate. Get the deal done JS.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1138570442178871297[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1138573094832857089[/tweet]