2019 Linebacker discussion

Largent80

Reaction score
Heck. After looking at that LB corps. I'm not quite sure Queem makes the team. I HATE the roster limitations in this league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":5d31ybir said:
Heck. After looking at that LB corps. I'm not quite sure Queem makes the team. I HATE the roster limitations in this league.

He certainly is going to be on the bubble, along with Martin, Mingo, Calitro and Ellerbee.

Figure we'll keep six LB's.

Locks
Wagner
Wright
Barton
BBK

Rest of these guys will be fighting for the last 2-3 spots. The thing with Shaquem is he has to show Pete he now has a grasp of the schemes and fits to be trusted to be on the field, and not be relegated to special teams like he was after the horrible Denver game he had.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Martin and Mingo have the inside track. BBK to me is a possible PS candidate basically because he's small, Barton is a 2nd rounder and will make the roster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":l6it9n8x said:
Martin and Mingo have the inside track. BBK to me is a possible PS candidate basically because he's small, Barton is a 2nd rounder and will make the roster.

To me Mingo is the odd man out, because he's the one with a 5.3M cap hit. IMO that makes him the most expendable if Martin and Shaquem can show even a little promise of being able to rush the edge in camp and pre-season.

Which btw is what we should have been doing last year with Shaquem. He was a beast in college coming off the edge, to all of sudden force him into the WIL position after KJ went down was a bad move.

If BBK is healthy all the way through camp and pre-season he's going to play himself onto the roster, no doubt about it. He's just got that kind of a motor and football IQ. I can't seem him going onto the PS unless he's dinged up.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like we have a very gifted group here. Going to be good players being not making it. Hopefully it makes the team stronger.

Jville

Reaction score
There you go ....................... this linebacker discussion has it's own thread now.

No need to hijack an existing thread. Just start a new one with the topic you want to talk about in the Subject line.

Enjoy :biggthumpup:

Seymour

Reaction score
Anyone not named Largent or mom allowed on this thread?? :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1egc32jy said:

How'd you get past the bouncer.

Honestly, why can't we discuss LB's in a "breakout player" thread? It's all a fluid discussion of who has to play well, i.e. breakout, seems silly to change the thread title because of four posts about LB's.

But whatevs.

Jville

Reaction score
With all due respect to the topic for discussion and posters alike, ............................my understanding is that the two drafted linebackers were selected to contribute on special teams and in relief on underneath pass defense packages.

The less inertia to overcome. The quicker the change of direction to smother pass offenses based on a philosophy of misdirection (2018 Rams).

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Note that the revised Seahawks.NET Official Guidelines were posted for your reading pleasure this morning. Here is the link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154487[/urltargetblank]

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tphmcdv said:
Seymour":3tphmcdv said:

How'd you get past the bouncer.

Honestly, why can't we discuss LB's in a "breakout player" thread? It's all a fluid discussion of who has to play well, i.e. breakout, seems silly to change the thread title because of four posts about LB's.

But whatevs.

While he was bouncing, I rolled under the door crack. :stirthepot:

Ya.....read the site rules please! :lol: :lol:

Now for my contribution....
Queem is doomed!! #endofthread

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
The way I see it is the Hawks F.O. is looking forward and since there has been almost zero action here for years they said....Ummmm ok we're going here.

BBk is obviously small in stature. Has immense talents and ST capabilities. Barton was a 2nd rounder. Expect HIM to be a roster spot. Mingo is valuable and his cap number is moot. Kendricks is a great LB, but his situation is still undecided.

I dunno.

Jville

Reaction score
The sight of the 4-2-nickel is familiar. Anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of them tapping into a 3-3-nickel look as an alternative for 2019?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":2g9z9pf0 said:
The sight of the 4-2-nickel is familiar. Anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of them tapping into a 3-3-nickel look as an alternative for 2019?

According to Earl all we ever played was simple cover 3............you know the simple cover 3 that allowed him to become the best free safety in football for a solid five years.

But yes, I think even Pete knows he's going to have to disguise and evolve his coverages, and the 3-3 nickel is IMO a necessity in the modern game with spread offenses. Rams ate us up last year, we're going to have to adapt a little.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Cover 3 is over right now. We had the best S in the league in his prime, that is history.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't know that coverage, in the defensive backfield, has that much to do with the trade off between keeping a third linebacker on the field rather than a 4th defensive lineman with nickel personnel.

Seems to me they now have the personnel to consider keeping 3 linebackers on the field more of the time as a viable up front alternative in support of 5 defensive back packages.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We typically keep 6 LBs. We might list Jacob Martin as a LB but in my view he's competing for a roster spot against DEs.

One interesting thing about 2018 is that we never saw KJ Wright and Mychal Kendricks on the field together due to their staggered injuries. They essentially split the WILL spot with Austin Calitro as the third backup. My guess is that we may see more rest given to KJ this year due to having Kendricks and a desire given to keep KJ healthy due to his recent knee issues. Alternatively, if KJ is feeling 100% then I could see him playing a few SAM snaps particularly against the 49ers.

Position (Snaps)
SAM (25): Barkevious Mingo (15), KJ Wright (10)
MIKE (62): Bobby Wagner (60), Cody Barton (2)
WILL (62): KJ Wright (30), Mychal Kendricks (28), Cody Barton (4), Ben Burr-Kirven (0)

The reason why I have BBK making the squad is mostly special teams. They drafted him at the top of the 5th into a very crowded group because of his potential there. I don't think he necessarily suits up every Sunday and probably doesn't get many LB snaps this year but I would be surprised if he doesn't make the 53, and very surprised if he clears waivers after getting released.

xray

Reaction score
Most likely a top 5 LB group in the NFL...shouldn't be a problem...coaching has to do the rest .They got the horses ,so use them . :irishdrinkers:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Martin is not on the bubble.

If we had two Jacob Martins they'd probably both make the team.

That's how then we are at edge rusher until Collier shows he can contribute and Ansah gets out on the practice field.

King Dog

Reaction score
No way Martin doesn't make it imo. We need pass rush and he looked good in limited snaps last season.

Reaction score
Grif is not only gonna play linebacker but he is also gonna be used in the de rotation where we can utalize his speed! He'll make the team because of his versitility plus his special teams play is above average! 2nd year in the league so he has more seasoning than your first year coming in! He will be fine!