Woohoo....coming to a game

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Well, my wife and kids have decided that it is time for me to attend a 'Hawks home game. The Mrs wrote me a check for Father's Day which is to be used exclusively for this venture. This is no small feat as we live in upstate NY. There will be four of us attending. So, as a first timer, I have the usual questions. I have tried searching and managed to find a couple of older threads dealing with this topic. I have more questions though. (We are targeting the Oct3 TNF game vs the Rams!)

Tickets: I will most likely use ticket exchange or stubhub. Are there any other sites out there which might be better? Are there any stadium sections to avoid? We are a family of four, the youngest of which is 19. Would a corner section, say section 241, be better or worse than a sideline seat in the 300 sections?

Travel: We will be flying in to SeaTac. I would prefer to not rent a car so I can avoid any potential parking hassles. Therefore, I will be looking for a place to stay that is close to CLink. Best means of travel between airport and accomodations?

Accomodations: We are thinking Air BnB? Are there certain neighborhoods we should avoid? We would prefer walking distance to the stadium. I am not familiar with Seattle. I do not know where the stadium is located relative to which neighborhoods. Browsing through some Air BnB listings, I have no clue what to look for. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty damn excited for this and look forward to any advice you can give.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2eaxw71i said:
Well, my wife and kids have decided that it is time for me to attend a 'Hawks home game. The Mrs wrote me a check for Father's Day which is to be used exclusively for this venture. This is no small feat as we live in upstate NY. There will be four of us attending. So, as a first timer, I have the usual questions. I have tried searching and managed to find a couple of older threads dealing with this topic. I have more questions though. (We are targeting the Oct3 TNF game vs the Rams!)

Tickets: I will most likely use ticket exchange or stubhub. Are there any other sites out there which might be better? Are there any stadium sections to avoid? We are a family of four, the youngest of which is 19. Would a corner section, say section 241, be better or worse than a sideline seat in the 300 sections?

Travel: We will be flying in to SeaTac. I would prefer to not rent a car so I can avoid any potential parking hassles. Therefore, I will be looking for a place to stay that is close to CLink. Best means of travel between airport and accomodations?

Accomodations: We are thinking Air BnB? Are there certain neighborhoods we should avoid? We would prefer walking distance to the stadium. I am not familiar with Seattle. I do not know where the stadium is located relative to which neighborhoods. Browsing through some Air BnB listings, I have no clue what to look for. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty damn excited for this and look forward to any advice you can give.
The stadiums (right across the street from one another) are south of downtown and you’ll get to them first assuming you are coming from seatac airport, before you hit downtown Seattle. Traffic sucks here so if you are not within’ walking distance to the stadium give yourself extra time. Assume the closer the hotel is to the stadium district and downtown the more expensive it will be. You may be able to stay farther away and take light rail or the sounder train to the game. I live north of the city and we take the sounder train from Edmonds and it works great.

I can’t give you advice on where to stay, or even where to sit (the views from most seats and the stadium are decent), but I will say congrats, you’ll love the energy. There is nothing like it.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
There are plenty of single game tickets still available on the Seahawks website. I would assume these are face value.

I was hoping to get across for the Bucs game but I cant get the flights I need (at the price I want) so have one eye on the Ravens game instead.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Where do you live in upstate NY? The Navy is sending me there for the Nov '19 to Jan '20 time frame. I believe I'll be renting in Saratoga Springs (the nuclear site I'll be at is a 15 minute drive from there, I'm told) and there will be Seahawks games to watch!

Wheetie

Reaction score
I'm from Canada and come down 3 or 4 times a year. Here's my advise, hope it helps.

Stay at the Comfort in and Suites in Tukwila. They offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and a free shuttle from the hotel to the Monorail station which takes you directly to the Stadium. The have a great pool and free breakfast as well. They'll also arrange pick up from the Monorail station back to the hotel after the game. The price is very affordable compared to Downtown accommodations. The Monorail will also take you into downtown Seattle at an affordable rate to see the sights and therefore no car is needed.

As far as the stadium goes, I try to avoid the lower bowl sections because everyone stands through the entire game. I'd rather be seated and stand when it's called for. If you can secure tickets in the upper section but as low as possible that gives you the best viewing angle IMO. Since you're looking at the Rams game, you're likely not going to find many cheap seat options, especially for 4 together. You're likely looking at around $300-$400 per ticket for the Upper Bowl and between the 10 to 10 Yard Lines, unless you're OK being in the upper corner of the stadium somewhere. If you can, get seats on the Seahawks side because if it's a sunny day, the sun will be setting in your eyes for the 1st half since it's a night game if your on the Visitor's side.
-Get to the game early and hang around the West half of the stadium, that's where all the action is, tailgating and great food options just outside the stadium at affordable prices. Also, the merchandise shop is just inside these entrances.
-If you eat in the stadium, the garlic fries are a must!

I've been to several stadiums in the NFL and in my opinion, CenturyLink Field is by far and away the nicest stadium with the best atmosphere! You'll have a terrific time...

Go Hawks!

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
All good suggestions. If you want to stay close to the stadium and downtown, I suggest taking the Light Rail from Sea-Tac north into town. The Silver Cloud Hotel is right there next to the stadiums and you can even see into T-Mobile Park from the roof/pool IIRC.

ivotuk

Reaction score
All I know is that the light rail is a great way to get around. I've used it before and found it to be fairly clean, comfortable and convenient. Air BnB sounds good, and IMHO, anywhere that you can connect to the light rail is best, because to me, there's no difference between riding a train for 10 minutes or 30 minutes if that extra 20 will save you $$.

My daughter is living in the Seattle area now and I'm hoping to plan a visit around football season. :p

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wheetie":1afq7ymj said:
I'm from Canada and come down 3 or 4 times a year. Here's my advise, hope it helps.

Stay at the Comfort in and Suites in Tukwila. They offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and a free shuttle from the hotel to the Monorail station which takes you directly to the Stadium. The have a great pool and free breakfast as well. They'll also arrange pick up from the Monorail station back to the hotel after the game. The price is very affordable compared to Downtown accommodations. The Monorail will also take you into downtown Seattle at an affordable rate to see the sights and therefore no car is needed.

As far as the stadium goes, I try to avoid the lower bowl sections because everyone stands through the entire game. I'd rather be seated and stand when it's called for. If you can secure tickets in the upper section but as low as possible that gives you the best viewing angle IMO. Since you're looking at the Rams game, you're likely not going to find many cheap seat options, especially for 4 together. You're likely looking at around $300-$400 per ticket for the Upper Bowl and between the 10 to 10 Yard Lines, unless you're OK being in the upper corner of the stadium somewhere. If you can, get seats on the Seahawks side because if it's a sunny day, the sun will be setting in your eyes for the 1st half since it's a night game if your on the Visitor's side.
-Get to the game early and hang around the West half of the stadium, that's where all the action is, tailgating and great food options just outside the stadium at affordable prices. Also, the merchandise shop is just inside these entrances.

I've been to several stadiums in the NFL and in my opinion, CenturyLink Field is by far and away the nicest stadium with the best atmosphere! You'll have a terrific time...

Go Hawks!

Wow Wheetie, first off welcome to .NET! Even if you have been a lurker, welcome for your first post! And what a great, informative first post for a fellow member to boot! Well done, sir.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Wheetie":3hwb7n98 said:

Go Hawks!
Great insight and advice! :2thumbs:

12HawkFan

Reaction score
About choosing the TNF game, if you want to get the full TRUE Seahawk game experience, toss out any MNF or TNF games as there is almost zero tailgating/pre-game stuff going on because it's a work day and it's just a rush rush rush kind of thing. The game itself may be good but if your coming from the east coast I assume you want to have the best overall time while you are here.

Looking at the schedule I would choose New Orleans for an early season game or the 49ers or Arizona as a late season game as they are Sunday day games that will allow you to truly get the "Full Meal Deal" from attending a Seahawks game.

You don't say how long you are/can come to Seattle for so answering that question may lead to some more good suggestions.

Tickets, the safest way bare non is the NFL ticket exchange. If you need four seats together shop early and don't be to picky if you are going after a high demand game as getting four seats together gets very hard close to game day.

Lodging, as others have said staying out by Sea Tac and using the light rail to get to downtown is as easy as it gets and prices are gonna be much better as there are way more rooms and choices. If money is no object, the Silver Cloud Inn is across the street from the Clink so it doesn't get any easier, just book early as game dates sell out way in advance.

That's all I have for now but if you tell us how long you can come out for I can offer up some more info as well.

GO HAWKS!!!

hawkfan51

Reaction score
Very good advice from everyone...only thing I might add is: Call Uber for all your transportation...we just visited Seattle from Montana for a Mariners game and the best decision we made was to use "UBER" !!!! Good luck to you and family and hope you have an awesome time in Seattle...the Seahawks will definitely be your highlight!!!

OP
OP
WmHBonney

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for the tips. Now I will have to decide on the TNF game or probably the Saints game to be able to absorb the "full" experience.

Ivotuk, I live about 2 hrs west of the Albany area. I had a buddy that taught at the Saratoga Springs Navy nuke school back in the 80s. We partied at his place the day of the ZZ Top Eliminator tour concert at SPAC. All I can say is stay away from the wapitula watermelon!

Wheetie, thx for what appears to be some really great info. Welcome to the board!

If we end up at the TNF game, we will be arriving on Wed and leaving on Sat. Man, I can't wait! I have been to one other 'Hawks game back in the 90s when they played the Bills. The Bills play about 3.5 hrs west of me. I was front row end zone and tried like heck to get Joey Galloway to shake my hand to no avail. I can't blame him as those Bills fans are crazy.

Keep the info coming and thx again.

mikeak

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2gqcr56p said:
There are plenty of single game tickets still available on the Seahawks website. I would assume these are face value.

I was hoping to get across for the Bucs game but I cant get the flights I need (at the price I want) so have one eye on the Ravens game instead.

They are not. Seahawks have held back tickets and are selling those at "dynamic pricing" ie matching third party sites.

Right now fans frown on fans selling above face value but the team is totally fine doing so. Funny reasoning that I don't understand

As it relates to distance. It is fun with a 20-30min walk on game day. Don't focus on being so close. Better to be in a fun area and wlak to game

pmedic920

Reaction score
Wife and I almost always stay @ The Moore hotel.

Two blocks from Pikes Market.
Walking distance to Seattle Center (space needle) and the Stadium.

It’s a very old building with updated rooms, great prices in relation to other downtown options. The Moore is only 2 blocks from the light rail stop. You can use light rail from the airport.
Also an easy walk to the waterfront area.

There are tons of options for tickets and folks here seem to have used them all.

If I don’t get tickets from a friend here, I only use the two options that you mentioned, mainly because of the guaranteed seats. Like you I travel a long distance and the investment is substantial, I’m not willing to accept the risk of not getting into the game. If I travel for the game, a refund doesn’t do any good for me.
Remember always that Seattle weather can change without much notice, do your best to prepare for all possibilities. A cheap throw away poncho can make the difference, especially if you get seats that are not under cover.
Be sure to check the website for what you can/can’t carry into the stadium.

As a Seahawk fan, your first game @ home field will be something you remember for the rest of your life, you will have a blast, win, loose, or draw.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pre game we all used to gather at Temple Billiards back in the day (early to mid 2000's) I have no Idea where people go now.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
As much fun as the MNF & TNF games are to watch at home, they really pale in comparison to attending a Sunday game when the entire downtown area around the stadium turns into one big Hawk parade of fans, tailgating and bars overflowing with fans.

You will get almost none of that on a work day when everything is overflowing with employee parking and people commuting in and out of town for the work day.

If you have that much time to spend out here, 4 days, your kids will have a ton more stuff to do on gameday if it's a Sunday as Touchdown City, (the convention hall just south of the Clink), is normally either not open on weekdays or is extremely scaled back due to it being used for other things.

One other thing to make sure you do if you want to stock up on your Hawk Gear is to get to the Pro Shop at the stadium the day before the game or the Team Shop across the street from the convention center the day before as well as crowds will be almost zero and everything will be fully stocked for game day. Both places are a complete zoo on game day so unless you crave this kind of thing it's easy to avoid it if you have the time.

A stadium tour is a great thing to do as well. Contact the Pro Shop for details.

Have and take lots of pictures.

GO HAWKS!!!

WmHBonney":3lll4a7y said:
Sweet. Thanks for the tips. Now I will have to decide on the TNF game or probably the Saints game to be able to absorb the "full" experience.

Ivotuk, I live about 2 hrs west of the Albany area. I had a buddy that taught at the Saratoga Springs Navy nuke school back in the 80s. We partied at his place the day of the ZZ Top Eliminator tour concert at SPAC. All I can say is stay away from the wapitula watermelon!

Wheetie, thx for what appears to be some really great info. Welcome to the board!

If we end up at the TNF game, we will be arriving on Wed and leaving on Sat. Man, I can't wait! I have been to one other 'Hawks game back in the 90s when they played the Bills. The Bills play about 3.5 hrs west of me. I was front row end zone and tried like heck to get Joey Galloway to shake my hand to no avail. I can't blame him as those Bills fans are crazy.

Keep the info coming and thx again.

danp1990

Reaction score
I would highly recommend renting a vehicle at SeaTac via enterprise which then you can drop off at the airport itself when your ready to go. Also rent a home via airbnb if your going with fam. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than any hotel would be. I'd say rent a home in Des Moines,Wa .

From there just take the light rail via an orca card you can get at any Safeway near your stay at the customer service area of safeway. You preload your amount . This way you can avoid the traffic before and after the game + the added fee's of parking at a nearby parking garage.

Hope that helps.

danp1990

Reaction score
Fyi taxis or uber's to get out of SeaTac area to Seattle itself are pricey. More or about the same you would have spent on a $35-50 daily car rental from enterprise. Plus if you arrive on Friday ,Saturday you might be able to rent a vehicle under their weekend special rates that are below $25 daily.

OP
OP
WmHBonney

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Well, we took the advice of several members. We purchased tickets for the 09/22 game vs the Saints instead of the TNF game. We look forward to getting a taste of the entire game day experience. Thx to all and a special shout out to SoulfishHawk. As the day draws nearer, maybe we can arrange to meet some of you folks. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: