Oline 13 for 24

Seymour

Reaction score
On 24 total drop backs to pass the oline gave up a total of 13 sacks or QB hits.

There has been much talk about the oline being a strength this year and even top 5 talk. Based on what, I'm not quite sure but once again I think we've been set back down to earth on this topic. I've brought this up and will continue to, this oline still does not pass protect well. #30 last year according to football outsiders, and we are looking at similar issues this season obviously.

It was easier to defend this unit and have hope when the run blocking was a strength, but even that was horrible against one of the worst defenses in 2018.
Even Britt, and Brown got abused several times and Ifedi did his best Ifedi impression throwing in key penalties and whiffs. Pocic seems to be one bright spot and hopefully Iupati can step in and contribute soon?

Thoughts?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":duo25sfa said:
On 24 total drop backs to pass the oline gave up a total of 13 sacks or QB hits.

There has been much talk about the oline being a strength this year and even top 5 talk. Based on what, I'm not quite sure but once again I think we've been set back down to earth on this topic. I've brought this up and will continue to, this oline still does not pass protect well. #30 last year according to football outsiders, and we are looking at similar issues this season obviously.

It was easier to defend this unit and have hope when the run blocking was a strength, but even that was horrible against one of the worst defenses in 2018.
Even Britt, and Brown got abused several times and Ifedi did his best Ifedi impression throwing in key penalties and whiffs. Pocic seems to be one bright spot and hopefully Iupati can step in and contribute soon?

Thoughts?

Britt got hurt early on and gutted it out given our lack of depth with Iupati and Hunt out. That didn't help unfortunately. Ifedi was bad Ifedi once again which is good or bad depending on whether you think we should resign him or not.

But its game 1. We looked far worse last year.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":36a94e5e said:
Seymour":36a94e5e said:

Thoughts?

Britt got hurt early on and gutted it out given our lack of depth with Iupati and Hunt out. That didn't help unfortunately. Ifedi was bad Ifedi once again which is good or bad depending on whether you think we should resign him or not.

But its game 1. We looked far worse last year.

That sounds pretty sad, but thank you because that reminder is actually encouraging. :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":r9009rux said:

Thoughts?

A few of those were long developing plays where Wilson stood back there for an eternity and then ran into sacks.

Not giving the Oline a pass, but coaching needed to adjust.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jm903u3 said:
Seymour":1jm903u3 said:

Thoughts?

A few of those were long developing plays where Wilson stood back there for an eternity and then ran into sacks.

100% agree, we did not help them with the play calling much at all.

How many inside zone read runs we gunna run with the same bad result?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9fsq0tfv said:
Seymour":9fsq0tfv said:

Thoughts?

Completely disregarded a quick pass style that actually worked the couple drives they tried. There was maybe one bootleg/PA call that fooled the defense, their edge rushers didn't bite at all. Pretty frustrating to watch them not adjust when the line was not able to hold up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's the EXACT same bad pass protecting line as last year, so not sure why everyone thought they were all of a sudden going to be a great pass pro O-line this year.

This is a run grating mauling O-line, not a finesse quick footed intelligent pass pro line, they just aren't.........and it showed again yesterday.

So when they offense can't get the run game going in order to make the defense honor play action and not just pin their ears back on obvious passing downs? This is what it's going to look like.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The right side of our line didn't play that poorly. Duane Brown was beat badly once for a sack but did alright other than that.

Britt was the weakest link by a mile and he had the excuse of playing through an injured knee. Pocic still can't move anybody in the running game but Iupati certainly can and seems likely to play next week given he was a game-time decision this week.

The most concerning player was very obviously Will Dissly and I'm a UW homer. We repeatedly gave him blocking assignments that he couldn't handle and for much of the game he looked completely inept. He either needs to have a much better game next week or we need to stop pretending that he can block a NFL defensive end.

xray

Reaction score
The OL doesn't look near as good as last season . If run blocking starts to regress from last season ; and the pass blocking stays inconsistent as always ; then we may be in for a long season .

xray

Reaction score
The OL gave up :
4 sacks
9 QB hits
6 tackles for a loss

Swiss Cheese comes to mind... :roll:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I was not disappointed in the pass protection, but that is because I had such low expectations. They did, as one poster pointed out, look better than at the start of last season, when you take into account the opponent.

Cinci has one of the best lines in the NFL, so it was expected that they were going to make our line look really bad in protection.

I was, however, disappointed in the run blocking. This line should have been better at opening holes for Carson on the inside run. Hopefully, having Britt and Iupati healthy will help with that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":5ul1m05t said:
I was, however, disappointed in the run blocking. This line should have been better at opening holes for Carson on the inside run. Hopefully, having Britt and Iupati healthy will help with that.

This is the NFL, just about every team has the personnel to stop one part of your offense.......especially a team like the Bengals, who might not be very good this year, but they have elite players on their D-line.

What you saw Sunday is squarely on Pete and Schotty. Why Pete continues to think he can just dictate on both sides of the ball with average personnel is beyond me.

It's not 2012-2014, we need to scheme and playcall better, or we're going to see much more of what we saw Sunday, Pete making it far too easy for teams to play defense against us.

You can run the ball without being vanilla and predictable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth. You can't just fold your arms and say "We run the ball and that's that"
No, you have to mix it up and adjust. You know, like your OPPONENT DOES?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cutw7l2p said:
bigskydoc":cutw7l2p said:

This is the NFL, just about every team has the personnel to stop one part of your offense.......especially a team like the Bengals, who might not be very good this year, but they have elite players on their D-line.

What you saw Sunday is squarely on Pete and Schotty. Why Pete continues to think he can just dictate on both sides of the ball with average personnel is beyond me.

It's not 2012-2014, we need to scheme and playcall better, or we're going to see much more of what we saw Sunday, Pete making it far too easy for teams to play defense against us.

I can answer that question in 1 word.

Ego.

Belichick will take what is given week after week changing identities. Pete thinks his system is better than Bill's so no need to adapt and change.

Pete has serious issues with paradigms.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I think a lot of you people should go to Vegas, look at what is rolled on the craps table, and bet that the next 15 rolls will be the same. Use all your money, since you are certain that a sample size of 1 equals the mean.

xray

Reaction score
Seymour":328e6ew8 said:
Sgt. Largent":328e6ew8 said:
bigskydoc":328e6ew8 said:

I can answer that question in 1 word.

Ego.

Belichick will take what is given week after week changing identities. Pete thinks his system is better than Bill's so no need to adapt and change.

Pete has serious issues with paradigms.
Carroll thinks his model for coaching is beyond compare . His success with the Hawks has many here arguing that he must be right because of his record here . I will argue that most of his success has been with the players he has had and not his coaching . He has had the luxury of drafting a very rare talent in Wilson @ QB and having a top 5 or 10 defensive unit for most of his tenure in Seattle. Wilson in particular has saved the Hawks from being in the bottom half of the league all these years ; not Pete Carroll's coaching . IMO ...I'm prepared to be slammed for saying this . :stirthepot:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bp0azyo said:
bigskydoc":2bp0azyo said:

Bingo! You nailed it! :2thumbs:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1e8z8z3c said:
It's the EXACT same bad pass protecting line as last year, so not sure why everyone thought they were all of a sudden going to be a great pass pro O-line this year.

This is a run grating mauling O-line, not a finesse quick footed intelligent pass pro line, they just aren't.........and it showed again yesterday.

So when they offense can't get the run game going in order to make the defense honor play action and not just pin their ears back on obvious passing downs? This is what it's going to look like.

Agreed the 0-line was abused in Dallas and struggled a lot last year in pass pro in general. We'll see how it plays out going forward but I've been saying for the last 2 consecutive seasons Seahawks need an upgrade at Center . That would help out Wilson and lift the entire offense. Britt gets pushed around way to much and RG needs an upgrade to . We'll see if Pocic can lock down that position but right now it's not been good enough.

blaisio

Reaction score
I'm hoping they watch the film on what the Bengals were doing with their below average OL.

I watched multiple times as they used the fact that we have a very aggressive front looking to blow passed their inept OL to use that aggressiveness against them by tossing it right over the top on a screen. It ended up slowing down the pass rush because they had to make sure they weren't giving up the big yards.

I think the problem with our screen is we tend to toss it was out to the sideline vs over the top of the rushing DL. Would make sense for the opposing DL would expect Ifedi to whiff, why not have the rb screen to that spot.

That's why I love seeing pressure up the middle as you have Bobby there to blow up a reciever if they make the mistake of coming to his spot.

Seeing Clowney overpower their OL was such a great site to see, however they ended up nullifying his win by tossing it over the top.

I did notice that our DL started to see this pattern and started batting the ball down. More batted balls than I've seen in a really long time.

Haven't rewatched the game but it was something that stood out.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Was Pocic a bright spot? I saw one play where he made a strong run block and lots of plays where he was either beaten, blocking nobody, or getting in the way of other players who were trying to make blocks.