2-0 but...

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I'd feel a lot better if we were winning these games convincingly.

I'm not sure how I feel about Carson but getting that first down put this game away after his butter finger day

A win is a win but seeing SF go into Cinci and put up 41 after we just barely survived is concerning.

John63

Reaction score
sprhawk73":2x7ud3z1 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Carson but getting that first down put this game away after his butter finger day

A win is a win but seeing SF go into Cinci and put up 41 after we just barely survived is concerning.

SF had film we did not.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
sprhawk73":3tuurzvh said:

As you know, the NFL doesnt work that way.

Every week is different. Every game is different.

2-0 is literally all that matters. End of story.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Hawkpower":rqhahn1e said:

Pretty sure there's more to life than just the local football team's win/loss record.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The Titans demolished the offseason Super Bowl champs last week, only to put up 17 measly points on the Colts & their "backup" QB. Hawkpower is right, games like this happen, especially with this team and the fact that it's only week 2. I wasn't sure they would win this match in the first place, so I'm glad they are going back home with the W.

knownone

Reaction score
sprhawk73":1jrsjahb said:

Few things...

1) We typically get better as the season progresses.

2) Our games have been close largely due to correctable mistakes.

3) We're missing two pro-bowl caliber defensive lineman.

I wouldn't worry about San Fran, their second half schedule is a buzz saw. And depending on Brees's injury, we could be cruising through the toughest part of our schedule right now.

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Film does help but we had 12th man support.

What is going on with our oline? All the improvement from last season seems to have disappeared.

I can't hold Carson totally responsible for that fumble because he was hit during the exchange.

I hope RW starts rolling out more or he isn't going to survive

kobebryant

Reaction score
sprhawk73":312fqday said:
I hope RW starts rolling out more or he isn't going to survive

He's survived and excelled under worse conditions. Where have you been the last 5 years?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3f7f4a5h said:
Hawkpower":3f7f4a5h said:

Pretty sure there's more to life than just the local football team's win/loss record.

Umm, yeah. I was referring to hand wringing over being undefeated.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about 2 - 0. You are a good team right now. Lots of teams are losing or .500 around the NFL. Count your blessings. You have a good team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
John63":3av9pfy5 said:
sprhawk73":3av9pfy5 said:

SF had film we did not.

If the Seahawks didn't know that Zac Taylor would basically just be running the Rams' offense from last year it is VERY WEIRD that Norton and PC kept on lining up in a 6-1-4 defense in that game.

The only time I've really seen it used to good effect recently is when the Patriots relied on it heavily to totally neutralize the Rams in the Super Bowl last year.

If you've watched the Bengals offense for the last two weeks, not having film isn't the silver bullet you think it is. The film you need to watch is the Rams film from last season, and Norton and PC clearly knew that as based on what they were doing.

They did EXACTLY what a fair number of Hawks fans wanted them to do: copy the Patriots who had "figured out" that offense.

Against the Bengals the Seahawks played a bad game (that they probably should have lost, TBH), but luckily that doesn't matter at all: The Seahawks 21-20 win against the Bengals and the 9ers 41-17 win against the Bengals count exactly the same.

In the long run wins by a field goal or less are just coin flips and wins by big points are predictive of future success, but in the context of football that's all much more meaningless than it is in other sports given that (1) there's so much turnover from season to season and (2) there is no "long run" in football because teams only play sixteen games each year. There's a ton of teams in the playoffs every year who are only in the playoffs because they got unsustainbly lucky in one score games, unsustainbly lucky in fumble recoveries, unsustainbly lucky in their sacks over pressures rate, etc.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9jrs6qpr said:
John63":9jrs6qpr said:
sprhawk73":9jrs6qpr said:

SF had film we did not.

If the Seahawks didn't know that Zac Taylor would basically just be running the Rams' offense from last year it is VERY WEIRD that Norton and PC kept on lining up in a 6-1-4 defense in that game.

Have you seen the Seahawks use that alignment before?

The only time I've really seen it used to good effect recently is when the Patriots relied on it heavily to totally neutralize the Rams in the Super Bowl last year.

If you've watched the Bengals offense for the last two weeks, not having film isn't the silver bullet you think it is. The film you need to watch is the Rams film from last season, and Norton and PC clearly knew that as based on what they were doing.

They did EXACTLY what a fair number of Hawks fans wanted them to do: copy the Patriots who had "figured out" that offense.

Against the Bengals the Seahawks played a bad game (that they probably should have lost, TBH), but luckily that doesn't matter at all: The Seahawks 21-20 win against the Bengals and the 9ers 41-17 win against the Bengals count exactly the same.

The defense wasn't the problem against the Bengals. Minus one egregious Tedric Thompson error at least. We stuffed the run and challenged them to beat us with the short passing game which they couldn't do. When the Rams offence is killing teams its because they run all over them with Gurley. "Figuring out the Rams" generally comes down to stopping the run game and confusing Goff by switching coverages after McVey gets out of his ear.

As to the OP, close wins in September are the norm for Pete Carrol teams since we tend to start a lot of young guys and need to figure out their strengths. Generally we are clicking by November. If you don't have a couch side defibrillator already, I suggest you purchase one. This kind of thing is the norm.

As to SF, instead of taking 6 games to figure things out, they've taken 5 years. I'll stick with the Carroll approach of a few tough wins and losses early in the season and then getting into the playoffs yearly.

getnasty

Reaction score
Film no film whatever, would it shock anyone if Pittsburg beat SF by 3 touchdowns next week? Things change so much week to week in the NFL, people match up better agaisnt certain people, some players have great games then turn around and stink it up. Stop playing the they beat them by 30 so there 50 points better then us game, it doesnt work that way.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":28iz6rbf said:
Stop playing the they beat them by 30 so there 50 points better then us game, it doesnt work that way.

If this is directed at me, I think it's quite clear from my post that I'm not "playing that game."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Oh brother, flat out dominated the game. But let's look at the final score and ignore the fact that they gifted them 14 points. Game would have been a blowout w/out the two fluke fumbles that bounced right in to their hands. And that huge "drive" of 2 yards on the 2nd one. Why can't people just enjoy a win???

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The week one Seahawks are ALWAYS a little "off" and if you really look back you will find that we never win games "Convincingly" with the exception of 2014, where we basically retained the Super Bowl team of 2013. One thing to note is that even when the Hawks went 0-2 to start the season that they had a lead late in those games or were within a few points of winning.

The Hawks played HORRIBLE football and still won. They went into Pittsburgh, gave them 3 scores from the ridiculous and still won.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, those two fumbles were so next level fluke...….and both bounced right up and in to the hands of a defender. Meh, the Hawks were clearly the better team.

xray

Reaction score
I think the point here is that the Hawks haven't won either game convincingly . Citing lucky bounces recovered by the opponents isn't a good argument . Every team including the Hawks get lucky bounces all the time . The shape of the ball seems to do that . :0190l: